Life expectancy 2012 Compass Latitude - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Life expectancy 2012 Compass Latitude

I am trying to decide if I should trade in my Compass because I have the opportunity to get a babied, larger SUV that has a very long life expectancy. I don't know how long the 2012's usually last and don't want to add a completely unnecessary car payment. Before I bought my Compass in 2014 it was a leased/company vehicle. It had 65000 miles when I got it, needed new tires and hub bearings, so I question the care it received.

Any opinions would be very appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I had a 2008 Patriot -- sister to the Compass, built on same platform. I got 285,000 miles out of it.

My problem was the CVT transmission, it was replaced twice under warranty. I've since learned that the CVT should have its fluid changed every 50,000 miles. Don't wait for the recommended interval in the owners manual.

I had an electrical problem around 200,000 miles and debated putting out $1000 for a new wiring harness, but I did and I got another 100,000 miles out of it. Very few other problems, nothing serious.
I sold it to a friend and its still on the road.

My Wife drives a 2014 Patriot with a 5-spd manual and its been great. I replaced the brakes in October. Other than that no repairs at all. She's got 110,000 miles on it. Very solid vehicle, still feels tight.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2019, 05:47 AM

Garage
Easy way way to change the transmission fluid on the JEEP CVT.

I am working on a way to easily change the cvt transmission fluid. Actually I am halfway done but I still need to do a few more things to complete the project.
After more than 290000 miles my transmission still works fine. But I can tell you that I averted a huge transmission problem when I had the dealer change the fluid when I noticed the transmission overheat warning light come on twice when the car was around 85000 miles.

I did not know much about the this type of transmission before and how to maintain it.
After I had the dealer change the fluid ($235.oo) the warning light did not come on again.
I had the fluid changed again at around 200,000 miles ($235,oo)

It is expensive. So now I am working on a much less expensive and maybe better way to maintain this type of transmission. When completed I will post the result. So expect to see it soon. I do want to ask that if there is a problem with this technique please let me know. I am not expecting anyone to follow it or to do the same thing. This is an experiment of mine on my own vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-05-2019, 06:53 PM

I have a 2016 compass with 80k on it. Since reading your post, and thinking of an upcoming trip I plan to take, I want to get the cvt fluid changed, but my service center says that they can't do it. It's supposed to be a lifetime thing, and it's sealed. Something like that. Wasn't sure what to tell/ask them at that point.

Is it something that not every service center is equipped to do?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-06-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubio View Post
I have a 2016 compass with 80k on it. Since reading your post, and thinking of an upcoming trip I plan to take, I want to get the cvt fluid changed, but my service center says that they can't do it. It's supposed to be a lifetime thing, and it's sealed. Something like that. Wasn't sure what to tell/ask them at that point.

Is it something that not every service center is equipped to do?
The fluid can be changed. Try another shop. The sealed unit rumor is based on the fact that FCA has an agreement with Jatco (transmission manufacturer) to replace and not repair. Frankly, the CVT is so simple there isn't much to repair anyway.

Some shops are afraid of transmission work because car owners don't bring trannies in for service until its making noise. Then after the servicing the customer tries to blame the shop for the noise and the customer tries to wrangle a repair job or a new transmission out of them. Its easier and safer to say, "Its a sealed unit. Sorry, can't help you." I know some independent shops won't do maintenance on any transmissions, repairs only.

A franchised FCA/Jeep dealer can certainly do the work. Its not cheap -- probably double the cost of a conventional a/t. There are two filters involved. Still, its worth it if you plan on keeping your Compass. Nissan uses Jatco CVTs -- same unit as ours -- so a Nissan dealer could service it, too.

For your own peace of mine and the longevity of your Compass, get the transmission serviced.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Look at this Changed my CVT fluid in my 2007 https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...ad.php?t=16254
post #7 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The fluid can be changed. Try another shop. The sealed unit rumor is based on the fact that FCA has an agreement with Jatco (transmission manufacturer) to replace and not repair. Frankly, the CVT is so simple there isn't much to repair anyway.

Some shops are afraid of transmission work because car owners don't bring trannies in for service until its making noise. Then after the servicing the customer tries to blame the shop for the noise and the customer tries to wrangle a repair job or a new transmission out of them. Its easier and safer to say, "Its a sealed unit. Sorry, can't help you." I know some independent shops won't do maintenance on any transmissions, repairs only.

A franchised FCA/Jeep dealer can certainly do the work. Its not cheap -- probably double the cost of a conventional a/t. There are two filters involved. Still, its worth it if you plan on keeping your Compass. Nissan uses Jatco CVTs -- same unit as ours -- so a Nissan dealer could service it, too.

For your own peace of mine and the longevity of your Compass, get the transmission serviced.

Thanks Jasmine,

I talked to another service tech, and yeah he said it can be changed for $265, but that it wasn't due until 120k. Should I change it early? Or do you think I can wait until 100-120k before changing.

Thanks for the help. Super appreciated.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubio View Post
Thanks Jasmine,

I talked to another service tech, and yeah he said it can be changed for $265, but that it wasn't due until 120k. Should I change it early? Or do you think I can wait until 100-120k before changing.

Thanks for the help. Super appreciated.
According to the manual the fluid doesn't need to be changed until 100-120,000 miles. However, if you read all the conditions they consider severe service, then almost every vehicle qualifies. Among other things it says day or night temperature below freezing! There aren't many places in the USA that don't get below freezing once in a while. Another is driving at sustained speeds over 90F. Even where I live (NH) the temperature can get above 90F, and after even an hour on the highway at 60MPH the tranny starts to scream.

See post #2 in this thread: https://www.jeeppatriot.com/threads/.../#post-1865901. He is quoting from the Dodge owners manual, but Dodge Calibers, Jeep Patriots and our Jeep Compasses all use the same transmission.

So what I'm saying is, you need the transmission fluid changed at about half the interval recommended in the owners manual. I had a Jeep Patriot with the CVT and the transmission failed at 110,000 miles. It never got to its first scheduled change before it went <kaput>. Fortunately mine was covered under the lifetime warranty that Jeep was giving away free in 2008 when I bought it.

$245 is a very low price for a full tranny service. I think your mechanic is only talking about changing the fluid, not the filters. The CVT has two filters and they should be changed too. Typically changing the fluid and filters runs $400+. You can discuss that with him, but I'd say do it all for your own peace of mind. At $400 a full tranny job is only 10% the price of a new transmission. That's pretty cheap insurance.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-12-2019, 02:59 AM

What the heck. I'm quoting that post on jeeppatriot.com by user Sandstone here:

2007 Caliber Manual-SCHEDULE B
Follow schedule “B” if you usually operate your vehicle under one or more of the following conditions.
² Day or night temperatures are below 0° C (32° F).
² Stop and go driving.
² Extensive engine idling.
² Driving in dusty conditions.
² Short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles).
² More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 32° C (90° F).
² Trailer towing.
² Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service).
² Off-road or desert operation.

2014 manual, 60k mile service:
"Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter if you frequently drive: on rough or unpaved roads, on mountain roads, on short trips, in heavy city traffic during hot weather, or while towing a trailer, or if you use the vehicle for police, taxi, or in a commercial fleet."

Most of us read the part about police, taxi, or commercial fleet and think it doesn't apply to us. But read the whole post. "Rough roads" "Mountain roads" "City traffic" "hot weather" "day or night temps below freezing" Now that includes just about everybody, doesn't it? Unless your Compass lives a very sheltered life, the fluid and filters should be done at 50-60,000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in