Coolant temperature reading - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tripod

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 03-08-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Coolant temperature reading

Hey All,

So I am new here and a new owner to a 2018 Jeep Compass 4WD.

Last vehicle I owned was a 07 Focus and it did not have any bells or whistles.

What is the normal coolant temperature reading? Mine has been reaching 228F randomly but most times has been cycling between 198-220F. Is this normal or something to worry about? I always thought that would be too high for a vehicle to reach but I also might just be paranoid. No indicator lights going off and the needle is in the dead middle.

Advice and reassurance is highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-09-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoronado93 View Post
Hey All,

So I am new here and a new owner to a 2018 Jeep Compass 4WD.

Last vehicle I owned was a 07 Focus and it did not have any bells or whistles.

What is the normal coolant temperature reading? Mine has been reaching 228F randomly but most times has been cycling between 198-220F. Is this normal or something to worry about? I always thought that would be too high for a vehicle to reach but I also might just be paranoid. No indicator lights going off and the needle is in the dead middle.

Advice and reassurance is highly appreciated.

Donít worry it is completely normal. Radiator thermostat fully opens at 198F, that is why while you are cruising it keep it there. If it gets above something like 210F, rad fan engages and it speeds up higher the coolant gets. After some point engine oil cooler will also engage and start to directly cool engine oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 03-09-2019, 01:01 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I don't think I've seen mine above 193. On cold days it take a long time to get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I don't think I've seen mine above 193. On cold days it take a long time to get there.

Yeah I made a mistake, it fully opens at 193, not 198.

post #5 of 15 Old 03-09-2019, 03:32 PM

I don't typically see temps over 198 on mine, other than that sometimes it will spike up a bit right after I shut it off which is normal. Where you live and how you drive makes a lot of difference though. Its pretty cold here most of the year and I have mostly open highway driving. In a warm climate with a lot of heavy traffic your temps are much more likely.

You can always take a peak under the hood to confirm that your coolant reservoir is full, and roll down your window and make sure you can hear the coolant fan running when its that hot, thats about the only thing you can easily check yourself. Other than that, the car will throw a warning at you if the temps get truly too high so if it isn't throwing a warning at you don't sweat 228*. Don't get me wrong, 228* is piping but still within designed operating range for this engine and its type of coolant. Its up there though. I only see 220* if I get stuck in some slow moving traffic while towing, it seems like.

As far as I know, the oil cooler is always cooling. I don't think there is any valve or thermostat for that. I'm not sure if cars without the towing package necessarily get the oil cooler though? I guess when I go to the Jeep website and build a compass and add the towing packing they don't mention oil cooler, so maybe they all do have them these days. They probably do.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
I don't typically see temps over 198 on mine, other than that sometimes it will spike up a bit right after I shut it off which is normal. Where you live and how you drive makes a lot of difference though. Its pretty cold here most of the year and I have mostly open highway driving. In a warm climate with a lot of heavy traffic your temps are much more likely.

You can always take a peak under the hood to confirm that your coolant reservoir is full, and roll down your window and make sure you can hear the coolant fan running when its that hot, thats about the only thing you can easily check yourself. Other than that, the car will throw a warning at you if the temps get truly too high so if it isn't throwing a warning at you don't sweat 228*. Don't get me wrong, 228* is piping but still within designed operating range for this engine and its type of coolant. Its up there though. I only see 220* if I get stuck in some slow moving traffic while towing, it seems like.

As far as I know, the oil cooler is always cooling. I don't think there is any valve or thermostat for that. I'm not sure if cars without the towing package necessarily get the oil cooler though? I guess when I go to the Jeep website and build a compass and add the towing packing they don't mention oil cooler, so maybe they all do have them these days. They probably do.
I have seen coolant temperature hit ~225F when I was doing stop and go on a steep hill with ambient air being 104F. Still there was no warning and the indicator was between 1/2 and 3/4 on the gauge, slightly closer to 1/2.

Edit; According to info I found on 2.4l engine on Chrysler 200, max normal temperature is 230F and the fan kicks in at 200F.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...ission-by-mr-t

I think all have engine oil coolers. As far as I know, with the tow package you get a transmission cooler (or a better one).
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 03-09-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-14-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that after sitting in a drive-thru for over 15 minutes, my transmission temperatures were rising to 181F. My coolant temperature rose to 228F. I also noticed that there is a rough idle while I am waiting in line.

I have never had these issues while waiting in a drive thru (idle).

I am bringing this in to the dealership on Monday but wanted some thoughts beforehand to know if there has been general issues on this item. I am feeling really frustrated with this vehicle and I am starting to think I made a poor investment...
post #8 of 15 Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
i saw mine spike like that in a drive through

i turned the defrost on full (it was 95 outside)
opened the windows, turned off the ac

it dropped to 192 in a couple of minutes

2018 Compass Latitude
post #9 of 15 Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoronado93 View Post
I noticed that after sitting in a drive-thru for over 15 minutes, my transmission temperatures were rising to 181F. My coolant temperature rose to 228F. I also noticed that there is a rough idle while I am waiting in line.
We have a 2018 sport/auto, once warmed up engine and trans temp are within a few degrees of each other. Hot and humid Louisiana summertime weather the highest Iíve seen sitting in traffic is 208*engine/210*transmission. Once we start moving it cools down to 200*/203* respectfully, which is where it runs all the time. Iíd question 220*-228* as being normal everyday temps, especially if its only ~75* in Northern California now Ö

stock 2018 Compass Sport 2wd Jazz Blue Appearance and Tech. Package
post #10 of 15 Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCsport View Post
We have a 2018 sport/auto, once warmed up engine and trans temp are within a few degrees of each other. Hot and humid Louisiana summertime weather the highest Iíve seen sitting in traffic is 208*engine/210*transmission. Once we start moving it cools down to 200*/203* respectfully, which is where it runs all the time. Iíd question 220*-228* as being normal everyday temps, especially if its only ~75* in Northern California now Ö

I have never seen my transmission temperature going above 175F. Most of the time it is at 160F.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 AM

Mine hit 218-220 today in stop and go traffic. Boy does it idle ROUGH when its that warm. Not sure if that is normal or not. Its the first time the car has seen a 65* degree day.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-15-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB325 View Post
Mine hit 218-220 today in stop and go traffic. Boy does it idle ROUGH when its that warm. Not sure if that is normal or not. Its the first time the car has seen a 65* degree day.
Yeah, it really makes me nervous to have a NEW car run like that...My older vehicle ran better than this car..
post #13 of 15 Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Dealership looked over the vehicle for a "hot check." While that may have been unnecessary, I am happy I did. Dealership informed me that the vehicle is supposed to run at those temperatures and nothing is wrong. Whether that is accurate or not, I am going to take the dealership's word for it at this moment. At least I have documentation that I ensured proper maintenance of the vehicle.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-04-2019, 01:07 PM

Great information...
post #15 of 15 Old 08-23-2019, 12:42 PM

Great information shared !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in