Fuel consumption - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4myjeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 04-03-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Fuel consumption

Hi there - anyone else having sticker shock for their fuel consumption? I am avereraging a range of ~340-370K before I’m almost on empty. I’m not super hard on the pedal and sitting somewhere about 11K/100KM (highway/city) driving. I know that consumption wouldn’t be as good as my other vehicle however I thought I would get a little better than what I’m currently averaging. My Trailhawk is a 2019 and I’ve had it a little over a month, is this what I can expect for the life of the vehichle? Any help or pearls of wisdom are welcome 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
11K/100KM translates to @ 21-22mpg (for us dumb americans)

what engine?
i have a 2.4L 4cyl and get over 30mpg, @33in winger and 36 in summer

its mostly highway miles @ 55mph
as you get above 60mph the mpg starts dropping

2018 Compass Latitude
post #3 of 19 Old 04-04-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Well ya weird Canadians do everything in KM’s 😊 thanks for the reply - I do a mix of city highway however the highway is always a parking lot - I’m noticing a little better range since I started turning off the ESS. I’ll give it some time however if it doesn’t improve I’ll eat the cost and opt for a hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Garage
I am pretty compulsive about records and I am getting 25.9 mpg overall. Highway only driving (I make a lot of trips between Kansas and Utah) it is not uncommon to see over 30 mpg.

2014 Compass Latitude
No modifications other than Amateur Radio equipment.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

What generation Compass are you driving? In my experience, the 2nd gen Compass seems to get better fuel economy. My AWD Compass gets slightly better fuel economy than my FWD Patriot did.

My 2018 (2nd gen) Compass has averaged 30.3MPG since I bought it but my driving is mostly highway driving.

Drivetrain options have an effect on fuel economy, particularly with the 1st gen Compasses. The better the off-road performance, the worse the highway fuel economy. Just a trade-off one has to live with.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-04-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey there - I switched my display to show MPG and so far I’m averaging 21 that’s highway city mix but I would say not try highway since it’s always standing and is more like stop and go in the city also I’ve got. 2019 Trailhawk 2.4L gasoline engine. It’s still pretty new so I’m hopeful??
post #7 of 19 Old 04-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Garage
stop and go is whats killing you
is your ess on? that should help
and the cold weather isnt helping

2018 Compass Latitude
post #8 of 19 Old 04-05-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Any thoughts on whether the all terrain tires may be a factor as well? I was thinking of changing my rims to 18” and putting more conventional toad tires on?
post #9 of 19 Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myjeep View Post
Any thoughts on whether the all terrain tires may be a factor as well? I was thinking of changing my rims to 18Ē and putting more conventional toad tires on?
Which tires do you have? Stock tires on TH are not all-terrain tires.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-06-2019, 03:10 AM

Tires and temperature make a difference. I bought my Compass in May 2018 and I averaged 31.5MPG until November when I put my snow tires on. Almost immediately the temp dropped and so did my fuel economy. I've averaged 29.0MPG since then for my overall average of 30.2. Yes, it dropped .1MPG since my previous post. Its snowing right now but we've also had a few warm days. Easterish I'll change out the snow tires and I bet my MPG will shoot up along with the temperatures.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-06-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Okay so I think I figured this out lol - first I have turned off my ESS which does seem to be making a difference - second I reset my fuel economy screen - my ~ MPG have now changed to 29/30 MPG on this particular fill up. I think now that I’ve had the vehicle for a minute I am becoming more acclimated with driving it (softer on the pedal when I accelerate or brake) and I took it out on a nice smooth jaunt today so... fingers crossed - seems it does seem to be getting close to the expected mileage city/highway (so I need to calm down lol) thank you everyone for your responses as they were a huge help 😎
Jasmine likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-07-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Okay so I think I figured this out lol - first I have turned off my ESS which does seem to be making a difference - second I reset my fuel economy screen - my ~ MPG have now changed to 29/30 MPG on this particular fill up. I think now that Iíve had the vehicle for a minute I am becoming more acclimated with driving it (softer on the pedal when I accelerate or brake) and I took it out on a nice smooth jaunt today so... fingers crossed - seems it does seem to be getting close to the expected mileage city/highway (so I need to calm down lol) thank you everyone for your responses as they were a huge help 😎

Turning the ESS off makes the car 2wd, as the traction control will no longer engage 4wd on its own. It is the reason for the improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Turning the ESS off makes the car 2wd, as the traction control will no longer engage 4wd on its own. It is the reason for the improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huh? traction control and start stop can be turned on and off separately

got any data to support this?

2018 Compass Latitude
post #14 of 19 Old 04-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
huh? traction control and start stop can be turned on and off separately

got any data to support this?

Sorry, I mixed up ESS with ESP (traction control). So I thought OP tuned off traction control. Yeah ESS can be turned off without bothering anything else.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
lol, no worries, i was scratching my head trying to figure that out

2018 Compass Latitude
post #16 of 19 Old 04-10-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi folks - so are you saying turn off traction control to leverage 2WD or turn off ESS? Thanks
post #17 of 19 Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 PM

I'm not getting much better than that on my 2018 TH with a mix of about 50/50 HWY/CITY. However, back later last year I got the drivetrain software updated to fix the transmission's many bumpy shifts and hesitant, early upshifting behaviour. The update made the vehicle much more livable, but immediately the fuel consumption went up by about 1L/100km on average. So now, it gets about the same economy as my 2015 2.4L Cherokee TH (which I wish I had've kept), but it does drive much better. It was almost dangerous before, as it commonly stumbled on pulling out onto a road or intersection, leaving me in the way of oncoming traffic.

So, it's possible your vehicle may just have the updated software from the factory.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys - my fuel consumption has improved immensely since I’ve gotten used to driving the compass and all it’s nuances - sorry to say but I’ve traded it in for a Cherokee Trailhawk - even though I won’t get better Mileage I’ll have more power!! Thank you all for your input and happy driving!!
post #19 of 19 Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Hi guys - my fuel consumption has improved immensely since Iíve gotten used to driving the compass and all itís nuances - sorry to say but Iíve traded it in for a Cherokee Trailhawk - even though I wonít get better Mileage Iíll have more power!! Thank you all for your input and happy driving!!
Bye now . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in