Rumble noise - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jasmine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Rumble noise

Does anyone know of a software update to cure a wierd noise in rear diff my compass has this noise and dealership says its in rear diff at first they were going to replace diff now they claim its a software issue and put me on waiting list. there was less than 3000 kilometers on it when first reported now theres about 10000. they told me chrysler was aware of this problem with the compass since november 2018 i baught this one in january 2019 if they had been honest and informed me about this i would have bought it.any ideas how to get results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Its literally all over this forum, we have dozens of threads on the topic, the search feature should bring them up and you can read and read and read all we know about it until you are sick of reading. The short answer is yes there is a software update, there should be no waiting for it most all of us already got the software update a year ago. Does the software update really fix it? No but it changes it slightly. Is it really an issue? No its never actually been proving that the noise is tied to any kind of problem, its just a cheap noisy drivetrain. Drive your friggin car and don't worry so much its perfectly fine. But the software update will reduce it somewhat.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I believe it is TSB #08-095-18. You can probably get more info if you enter that number in the search box at the right end of the black menu bar above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-01-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I think I should be posting about this problem on facebook and twitter so others don,t buy these lemons. chysler dosen,t seem to care.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Just raise the volume on the stereo, and it will go away... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 Old 05-02-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNIE View Post
I think I should be posting about this problem on facebook and twitter so others don,t buy these lemons. chysler dosen,t seem to care.
The grinding noise may be annoying, but is it a problem? I haven't heard of anyone having problems beyond the noise. If the noise is a byproduct of the design there isn't much they can do.

Finally, does anyone make buying decisions based on what they read on Twitter? I've known two people who had problems with a particular brand and their dealers/manufacturers dodged the warranty on pretty flimsy grounds. I knew these people personally and they are credible. Someone typing on a computer screen doesn't have much credibility. We know that companies write favorable reviews of themselves on-line; what's to say a nasty competitor doesn't go around planting stories about other brands? For all I know you're a disgruntled sales rep from a competing brand that lost three sales to Jeep today and you're trying to get even.

Forums like this is where people come with problems. Sure there's a couple discussions on here about the grumbling noise -- likely a few dozen owners -- out of how many Compasses sold? And some of us have even posted the fix (see above). If all Compasses were disintegrating it would make national news. As it is there are only a few of us who have complained about the funny noise; in my case my dealer did the update and its no longer bothersome.
arudlang and lundy like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-04-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

I can see that You (Jasmine) are in leages with chrysler.. I have had this thing in to the dealer to have it checked out and got put on waiting list for a soflware update,while other on thjs site have gotten an update for what sounds like the same problem..I had to fight to get a copy of the work order my wife signed they told us there was no work order because they didn,t do any work on it (we sat in waiting room for two hours). I finally got copy emailed to me by the salesman we baught from. i am having a hard time believing they don,t make out paper on all work they do. And i am not a disgrunteled sales person i,m a very unhappy compass owner that feels like i,m being shafted.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-06-2019, 03:27 AM

No @BERNIE I'm not in league with Chrysler; I just seem to have a better dealer than you do. I brought my Compass in complaining about the noise. I had learned about the software fix from others on this site and I gave the update number to my dealer and it was taken care of promptly. That was last summer.

I might add that after a miserable experience with a '93 Cherokee I was done with Chrysler/Jeep. I bought a Pontiac from a Pontiac/Jeep dealer and their service department treated me well. When that dealer dropped GM in favor of Chrysler/Jeep I stayed with the dealer and started buying Jeeps again. In the last 18 years my family has bought five Jeeps from them and so far so good.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

This is the second compass i,ve owned iwas quite happy with the first one (2014) the first one had a few probs throw out bearing suspension links and minor brake prob .. all were repaired under warranty. I
purchased it used from Ford dealer. I went to 2018 compass to get 4x4 the 14 was front wheel only I also have Ford Ranger 4x4 (200 with 318,000 clicks on it and a 2003 Lincolyn Ls with 160,000 klicks and the work excellent when I had probs with them the dealership took care of probs with no hassle and no waiting list crap.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNIE View Post
. . . when I had probs with them the dealership took care of probs with no hassle and no waiting list crap.
Nice to hear good things about a dealer. Usually we get horror stories.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Garage
I think its important to research a dealer just like researching when deciding on a vehicle. I even include when I was looking to purchase an ATV. The dealer I bought from has always been very good and when I needed work done on my ATV, his prices were very reasonable.

I have had my Compass for just over a month, its my first Jeep purchase. Prior to that I was always a Saturn owner and for the 28 years I owned Saturns, I was very happy with the vehicles. The dealer I bought my Compass from had good reviews and the salesman was also good. To be honest the main reason why I looked at a Jeep was the availability of a manual transmission. I have driven them all my life and did not want to give it up. He did not have one on the lot which was a surprise since he has a large inventory. In the end he did a dealer swap and I had my Jeep in a day.

The only mistake I saw was when I got my service contract paperwork from Mopar, they listed it as 5 years / 75,000, where I paid for the extended service for 8 years / 75,000. Went back to my salesman and within a few minutes it was fixed and I should get my updated paperwork in a week or so. He then was asking me what I thought about the vehicle, what I like and dislike and so forth. Since he already made the sale, I saw this as a positive thing that he wanted feedback that I liked what I bought.

The only downside I had with the experience is the lack of spare parts. I wanted a towing package for light towing and I was told it was not available with no ETA of when it would become available. So I have no idea how long it would be. I ended up getting one installed at Uhaul. It sits a bit lower then the OEM kit from what I am told, but I already test fitted my trailer and it is level with what I have. I don't plan to offroad with this vehicle where the hitch would possibly strike a rock or anything so its not a concern for me. Most I would do is off road is dirt or grass trail to park.

The spare tire kit is also not available and no ETA, that is a surprise, since they don't come with spares, the spare kit should be available for immediate purchase. Neither of these is the fault of the dealer, that would be Mopar.

I also have heard some of these noises as others have described, I can even hear the shifting, usually from 2nd to 3rd gear, but as long as there is no problem, I don't care, they are not that loud.

Mike
post #12 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Mike;

Surprised the Mopar receiver-hitch kit supposedly is not available, I have a 2018 Compass Latitude and ordered both the Mopar hitch-receiver kit and appropriate bumper fascia from the dealer last June - received it within a week or two. (Looks so much nicer "through the bumper", than stuck on underneath.) On the other hand, the Mopar spare tire kit was another story - also ordered in June, but did not receive until December.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in