Rotated tires introduced noise in transfer case area? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Question Rotated tires introduced noise in transfer case area?

Hi guys
I have a 2011 Jeep Compass 2.4 Sports Wagon
I recently had the 110,000 k service done and at the same time had the tires rotated.
Since then it seems that the tire rotation has introduced a noise that appears to be coming from the transfer case/drive chain area underneath the vehicle.
This noise is only noticeable at speeds between 1 k to 10 k. In otherwise when commencing to start driving or coming to a halt. The noise is a ratcheting type noise as if a cog wheel is clicking against something. The noise seems to disappear at speed or at least is unnoticeable inside the car when driving along.
I took the car back to the garage and they could not identify the problem or the actual source of the noise and they rotated the tires back again just in case. The problem persisted so I had them again rotate the tires back to the original rotated position.
I had an automatic transmission expert have a look and he still could not identify the cause or the source. He thought it may be the viscous coupling but was not sure?
From my investigations online I have seen some references to a similar problem being introduced after tire rotation on the Jeep.
Does anyone have any idea what this might be and indeed what may have caused it?
My next step before having the transmission removed and checked internally I guess is to buy all new tires and see if the problem noise disappears.
Any advice welcomed and encouraged.
Thank you
AussieWayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2019, 02:07 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I suggest that your noise is simply the tread of the tires contacting the road at different angles. That's why we rotate tires: to move any uneven treadwear to a place where it will wear differently.

I get increased tire noise every time I rotate my tires and goes away after a few hundred miles.

Also, consider that as tires age and wear the rubber becomes harder and they become noisier. Ever notice how quiet new tires are? The tires you just took off were quiet when they were new, too.

Finally, rotating tires will not cause a transmission problem any more than changing the spark plugs! If you have a tranny problem it was going to happen anyway -- totally unrelated to your tires.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-04-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Jasmine
It is definitely not a tire like noise.
It is a slow metallic click click click at very low speed under 6mph coming from under the middle of the vehicle. The 3 mechanics agree that is a strange noise in and around the transfer case area.
This problem has been posted about in another forum without any decisive identification of the source.
Reversing the tire rotation did solve the problem in one case as I recall.
Hopefully someone can advise if they have heard of this before.
Kind regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-04-2019, 12:08 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I'm sorry I misunderstood the nature of your noise. I was imagining the ratcheting to be a low-register thumping of an irregularity in the tread that would go away at speed. So its a slow metallic click, not a rumble? I still can't imagine how rotating tires could cause that. The timing may be coincidental.

If the vehicle is jacked and the tires spun manually do you still get the noise? That might help with finding the location. Maybe your mechanic has already tried that -- I'm just fielding an idea.

Obviously you've done some research. Have you tried the Jeep Patriot and Dodge Caliber forums? Those vehicles are siblings to the 1st gen Compass, so you might investigate those forums, too.

This is a long shot but I remember with my '74 Cherokee that backing up in a zig-zag pattern would solve issues with the Quadra-track system. Maybe try it with and without the 4wd lock engaged? I have a 2nd gen Compass so I may not be much help with your 1st gen. If/when you get this solved, please post the solution for the benefit of others.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-05-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Jasmine
Thanks for the heads up on the Dodge as i will explore that forum as well. Have seen some reference on one of the other Jeep forums copied below.
Quote:
Had exact same problem after rotating my own tires. Exact same situation where noise is heard while coasting, especially from 25mph to 0. Thought there was a loose chain in the transfer case, as sound seemed to be coming from the direct center of the jeep. I too have the Quadradrive system. Couldn't find any problems with U-joints, yokes, differentials, bearings, transfer case, anything. Finally decided to start from scratch and rotated tires back to where they were before noise. Grinding noise completely disappeared. Anybody have any updates? New ideas as to what happened?

I believe that the car was suspended on the hoist with motor running and in gear and the noise was present. (I will check)
Still a mystery as to the cause.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-05-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

I should also mention that the problem occurs every day but not all the time. Sometimes I can start driving on a 15 minute drive and the noise is not present. But when I stop at a traffic light or go to park at my destination it invariably will present itself. Happens in reverse as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in