My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Easy tire upgrade

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jeepney_driver 
#1 ·
I swapped my 2018 trailhawk stock tires for BF Goodrich 225/65r17s on the stock rims. Zero modifications. Completely changes the look of the compass. Would highly recommend. I’m also selling my stock Falken wildpeak h/t tires with less than 11000 miles on them, message me if interested.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm stumbling over tires myself, but I'm curious to know what was wrong with the Falkens? I don't have much faith in OE tires for reasons mentioned elsewhere on this site, but I usually wear them out before replacing them.

#4 ·
Five bucks says what was the most "wrong" about the stock falkens was they were too small. You should know this by now :p

Jeep Owner: Sweet got a new Jeep!
Jeep Owner's Brain: Need bigger, beefier, more aggressive tires.
Jeep Owner: Why? Doesn't Jeep send it with decent tires that it was designed to have?
Jeep Owner's Brain: It's a Jeep. You just gotta.

#5 ·
I just wondered what this owner didn't like.

While the snow traction leaves much to be desired, the other half of the year my Firestone Destinations are pretty good. Then again I don't do much off-roading. Maybe if I did I'd be less impressed.

When the day comes, I'll probably go with Generals or maybe Michelins if they're affordable.

I'd keep Firestone on my short list but I was very disimpressed with Firestones on my Pontiac some years back. They provided better wet traction than the OE GY Eagles but they were very squirmy on a dry road -- almost like the old bias-ply tires.

#6 ·
The road noise definitely increased. There’s a low hum over 25 mphs. As for why I chose to get these tires, I just wanted a beefy tire. Although I did run into a problem with one of my oem wildpeaks. One night it just went flat. I took it to two tire places. No one could figure out why. No holes or anything. I didn’t feel like dealing with anything warranty wise so I just bought another wildpeak at the time. I assumed it was the best tire for this rim size, until I went to my local rim shop @nolimitbmore and they suggested the KO2s.

#10 ·
Of course a more aggressive tire will make some road noise, but is the hum you hear coming from the tires or from the drive train? My 2018 had a humming noise (some called it grumbling noise) that was pretty noticeable in the 30-45MPH range. Dealer did a software update that moved the noise up to 45+MPH so it was pretty much drowned out by road noise. The same noise in my 2019 Compass is much quieter so as not to be noticed unless I'm listening for it, and then only <25MPH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.