2018 Compass oil usage - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Baja-D

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2018 Compass oil usage

My 2018 Jeep in the first 3200 miles used 3 1/2 quarts of oil. There are no leaks, the car is parked in a garage, nothing on the floor. When the car died in the middle of the road on my wife several times(once nearly getting broadsided) I contacted the dealer. The service writer said check the oil. That was the start of the problem with the 2.4 engine in the Compass. Since then we have had the oil changed and it has gone through another 1.5 quarts. It now has 5600 miles and we are on our second oil consumption test. We have not hit the 1000 mile test limit yet. The dealer won't touch it because Chrysler says there is nothing wrong with it. I spoke to a customer care person who told me a quart of oil in 1000 mile is ok. I told her a burning a quart of oil in the sixties may have been ok but in 2019 the car should not be using any oil between changes. Prior to going into law enforcement I worked 15 years in a Chrysler dealership. There was nothing I could do to repair a vehicle, from bumper to bumper. My brother just retired from a Chrysler dealer and is very aware of the problems with the 2.4 engine. He said the only real fix is to replace the engine. In most cases the rings are lined up which gives an open path for the oil to burn. If nothing is done it will cause the plugs to foul because of the amount of oil being used. I have contacted the NHTSA and filed a complaint with them. The vehicle is not safe it could stop at any time when the oil gets low. If they fail to do something with the vehicle I will get rid of it and cut my losses. I have owned chrysler corp vehicle all my life and this my be the last one. Bobrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 01:26 AM

Garage
If you are burning that much oil do you see white smoke coming from the tailpipe? Did you pull the plugs to see if any of them are full of soot?
Did you check to see if your oil filter is tight?
Did you recently change the filter and perhaps now there are two gaskets stuck together?
These are just some of the things that you should check.
My 07 compass now has 290048 miles. Uses very little oil.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 01:55 AM

FYI: Document every issue with service records, your own notes and pics of any messages that appear in the message center. We also have a 2018 Compass and our issues started just like yours and progressively got worse, even after they replaced the engine. We started receiving messages that an oil change was required and it barely had 4000 miles on it. Compression tests showed issues and upon further examination they found all the cylinders were scored. Our Jeep sat at the dealership for more than a month waiting to get the new engine installed. After the new engine was installed we had numerous electrical issues that no service dept. could explain and the oil consumption in the second motor was as bad as the first. When the second engine had 2500 miles on it, we again received a message stating an oil change was required. Took back to the dealership that installed the new engine and after seeing the oil level in only 2500 miles a decision between dealership and Jeep Chrysler was to start an oil consumption test (one of many). We would return to the dealership at different mileage intervals where they would check the oil level. During that consumption test they added more than 3 quarts of oil in roughly 4500 miles, but because Jeep Chrysler considers that within their limitations nothing else was done and they (the dealership/Jeep Chrysler closed the case. I was not happy when I was told the case was closed because I felt that was a ridiculous amount of oil for a new vehicle to use. I shouldnt have to monitor the oil level on the dip stick between 5000 miles oil changes because this engine is an oil burner! Little did we know this was only the beginning of issues to come with this Compass. Over the short time we’ve owned this vehicle I have it to a service dept. (30+) times. Each time I complain about an issue they put it on the computer and no codes show up. So because it’s not throwing a code I’m told there’s nothing wrong with it, even though we have pics & videos of the messages that appear in the message center. Here are a few of issues we’ve had-
1. The engine override (engine shuts off at stop signs/lights) works when it wants to and has even malfunctioned to the point where we couldn't turn it off or on for 5 days and then it just came out of it and worked until the next time it acted up.
2. Traction Control and 4WD symbols come on in the message center at random, even when there is no snow or ice on the roads.
3. Radio blacks out and resets itself
4. Message saying the Key Fob has left the vehicle and its sitting in the passenger seat.
5.Interior lights do not come on when you open the doors
6. Message Center says engine is running but won’t let you shift into Drive or Reverse
Only way we figured out how to reset this when it happens is to open and close the front doors multiple times to try and reset whatever isn't working correctly.
7. Vehicle would not shut off until multiple attempts were made. Then restarted itself and was revving at full rpms for almost an hour before someone came into my daughters work and asked her if she knew her Jeep was running full tilt? My daughter went out, a bit shocked and not knowing what to do, opened the drivers door and the engine instantly idled down to normal rpms.
8. 60,000 mile tires worn off in less than 20,000 miles but they cant explain why. I paid for an alignment test to see if out of align and test came back that vehicle was perfectly aligned. But yet we got stuck having to buy another new set of tires for it just so we could get it inspected. After more than a year of fighting with Jeep Customer Care they finally offered us an extra incentive to trade in the Compass. The extra incentive they offered was a joke and we declined. We had a $5000 down payment wrapped up in this vehicle and are paying almost $600 a month and Jeep never took any of that into consideration when asking us to trade vehicles. Like we could just walk away from $5000 and start over. I opted to take our case to a third party Arbitration Company because I felt we were stuck with a lemon and were being taken advantage of. I spent many hours preparing a letter in chronological order and providing service records, notes and pics for every issue we’ve had. I presented it to a panel of 5 individuals and after reading my evidence I won my case. We are now in the final stages of getting a replacement vehicle and Jeep Chrysler is taking our Compass back. We had the option to upgrade so we took advantage and are getting a new 2019 Jeep Cherokee. Fingers crossed this new vehicle isn't a lemon too. We’re pretty disappointed with our first Jeep buying experience. It was a long struggle to get Jeep to do something for us, but I felt wronged and I was persistent and I hope it pays off in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2019, 04:46 PM

Wondering if its time someone (maybe a mod) can start a thread to track these oil burning issue reports?
Maybe request some info and start logging these?
I worry if I fall in this category that will be stuck with a major lemon (and dealers around here can be tough to deal with for any warranty claim).
Oil burning at the rate some folks are experiencing is a major defect (either bad machining, bad quality piston rings, warped cylinders, valve clearances, valve seats, many possibilities but most definitely should not be happening).

Model
Year
VIN
Mileage
post #5 of 11 Old 10-26-2019, 03:53 PM

I think there are several other threads already about the oil consumption issue if you do a search. Seems like something is definitely going on with some of these vehicles. After seeing all the scary posts I have been checking my truck every few weeks but so far my 2019 Compass has not used any measurable oil in the first 3500 miles.

Baja-D

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-27-2019, 12:34 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja-D View Post
I think there are several other threads already about the oil consumption issue if you do a search. Seems like something is definitely going on with some of these vehicles. After seeing all the scary posts I have been checking my truck every few weeks but so far my 2019 Compass has not used any measurable oil in the first 3500 miles.

Baja-D
My 2018 drank a lot of oil, but did improve at around 30,000 miles.

My 2019 doesn't use a drop. It was a little off 'full' at its first oil change, and its due for its second oil change next week (it's now at 11,000 miles). Still right at the top of the stick. I admit I'm surprised after my first experience.

Clearly some engines have a problem and some don't. I've had one of each and my driving style and conditions are identical.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-27-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
My 2018 drank a lot of oil, but did improve at around 30,000 miles.

My 2019 doesn't use a drop. It was a little off 'full' at its first oil change, and its due for its second oil change next week (it's now at 11,000 miles). Still right at the top of the stick. I admit I'm surprised after my first experience.

Clearly some engines have a problem and some don't. I've had one of each and my driving style and conditions are identical.
Hmmm....wonder if they figured out what was going and fixed it in the 2019 models. Anybody got a 2019 with this issue?

Baja-D
post #8 of 11 Old 10-28-2019, 02:45 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja-D View Post
Hmmm....wonder if they figured out what was going and fixed it in the 2019 models. Anybody got a 2019 with this issue?
Some good questions.

As for figuring out why the problem, I imagine a scenario where somebody handed out a bunch of undersized rings at the engine factory and about lunchtime the foreman realized it, slapped the worker's hand, then distributed the right-sized rings and hoped no one would ever notice. After all, whats a couple thousandths of an inch? [Just noticed "thousandths" -- can you think of any other words with 5 consonants in a row?]

I doubt FCA will ever admit to a blunder or issue a recall. Like the unnamed foreman in my posit above, they probably figure it didn't happen to that many and if they have to replace a couple engines when customers complain they'll do it rather than issue a recall to replace however many got made before the mistake was found. After all, its not a safety issue so I doubt NTSB is interested.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-28-2019, 09:16 AM

Here is a link to an interesting 2015 Consumers Report article...looks like Jeep has not been the only one with this problem.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm

Baja-D
Jco23 likes this.

2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 AM

My son leased a 2018 Compass. Same problem. Uses a ton of oil. Dealer did a consumption study for a year. Every 1000 miles he would bring in. They told me it is all in spec. He drives about 800 miles a month. I check his oil every 2 weeks. He is usually 1/2 -3/4 of a quart low. This is typical? This is within specs?

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Over 100000 miles on it. Never have I had to add oil. I run 6000-8000 miles before an oil change. So why does the compass use so much? I told him to follow the service interval and change oil every 10 months, not the dealer 3 months. Seeing it gets a fresh quart every month.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskostner View Post
.... So why does the compass use so much?
Maybe in the manufacturers quest to get better MPG they opened up the tolerances on the engine to reduce friction losses?

Baja-D

2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
Sport Appearance Group,
Technology Group,
Compact Spare Tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in