Towing-What do you tow? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Towing-What do you tow?

Hi! Just wondering how many of you out there tow with your Jeep? I believe I was told up to 2,000 lb if you have the transmission cooler (or whatever the real term is) and 1,000 if you don't. We're getting a small pop up tent trailer this year, just had the Mopar tow kit installed with the transmission cooler...any suggestions on towing with the Compass or anything else I might want to consider doing or not doing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 PM

Re: Towing-What do you tow?

I don't technically tow anything yet (will be getting out Compass soon...) just hauling kayaks on the roof rack. But I do have a question about towing.

You mention the 2000lb weight limit. Does this limit apply to the amount of power the engine can pull and/or the limit of the chassis? I know with a traditional automatic you can overheat the transmission by trying to haul too much, hence transmission coolers are a must. With a manual this is less of an issue, worst that can happen is you glaze your clutch plate. If it's a limit of engine power using a manual to slip it more you may be able to pull a bit more. I have little knowledge of towing. The most I towed was a set of empty shelves (~200lbs) in a small cart attached to a compact car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Nothing yet.. looking at getting a hitch for ours so we can tow a small flat deck trailer for a snow mobile or dirt bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 PM

I haven't towed yet but did buy and install a hitch. I have a WaveRunner (PWC) and will tow that this summer. Last summer I just used the hitch and drove my Ranger.

I bought the Mopar OEM trailer wiring harness but haven't installed it yet. I'm debating if I'll do it myself, it doesn't seem too hard...
post #5 of 18 Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 AM

I carry my Vespa on a hitch on the back of the Compass. It weighs about 350 wet. The Compass still handles nicely.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You mention the 2000lb weight limit. Does this limit apply to the amount of power the engine can pull and/or the limit of the chassis? I know with a traditional automatic you can overheat the transmission by trying to haul too much, hence transmission coolers are a must. With a manual this is less of an issue, worst that can happen is you glaze your clutch plate. If it's a limit of engine power using a manual to slip it more you may be able to pull a bit more. I have little knowledge of towing. The most I towed was a set of empty shelves (~200lbs) in a small cart attached to a compact car.
Ooops sorry I didnt see this sooner, I was not trying to ignore! This was what the dealership told me and I believe it was because of the chassis, but now that you mention it, I am doubting myelf, maybe it was the engine???? Hmmmm well I got my tow kit installed and once we find a camper we will be trying it out, I must say, they did a good job installing it, it is not too big or tacky looking although they did have to take a peice out of the rear part of the car to install it.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesbrook View Post
Ooops sorry I didnt see this sooner, I was not trying to ignore! This was what the dealership told me and I believe it was because of the chassis, but now that you mention it, I am doubting myelf, maybe it was the engine???? Hmmmm well I got my tow kit installed and once we find a camper we will be trying it out, I must say, they did a good job installing it, it is not too big or tacky looking although they did have to take a peice out of the rear part of the car to install it.
I tow a 1700lb (when fully loaded) pop up camper with my 09 Compass 2.4l with 5spd manual transmission. It tows it fine, when going up larger hills you have to gear down to 4th. The mileage suffers a little but nothing too severe. I installed the wiring harness, hitch, and oil cooler myself in a few hours in the driveway. Nothing too major. You have to plan your stops as my trialer didn't come with brakes. I have had to make an emergency stop on the highway and the Compass stopped in normal distance but the brakes were a little warm. Normal stopping and going isn't an issue at all though. Here in North America I think the auto industry has led up to believe the 4cylinders aren't any good for towing. In Europe the tow rating for a Compass is 1500KG for a braked trailer and 900KG for an unbraked one without any mention of an oil cooler.
Wes
post #8 of 18 Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM

I tow about 1500# of equipment on occasion with about another 500 in the Compass. I have an auto with autostick and usually have no problem.

There is one hill that is a 9% grade that the Jeep works at climbing but I autostick down a gear and make it without holding up the cars behind me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 PM

I haven't installed a hitch yet. Didn't think there was much reason to other than a bike or cargo rack, but it loks like the Compass can handle enough to make it worth my while.

Man was indeed meant to fly...but only in one direction!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 AM

After the oil cooler install your good for 2000lbs trailer weight with tongue weight up to 300lbs.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Garage
wesleyd. I would change out the brake pads at all 4 wheels and get some good aftermarket pads that can take more heat. This would also decrease your stopping distance. My friend works for Hawk Brakes and they have some good pads. I work for a VW dealer and one of my techs installed a set of his pads and he said his Jetta stops so much better and less dust he says.

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Garage
Last night I pulled a 2500lb trailer for work with no problems at all. I do have the oil cooler installed and didn't push the jeep hard but it pulled really easy.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #13 of 18 Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM

Anyone installed an aftermarket oil cooler? I found this one - http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...umber=82210700 but I'm curious if anyone else here has first hand experience with it.
Also, what aftermarket hitches do you all have?

post #14 of 18 Old 08-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Garage
That's the same cooler that I had installed for the manual transmission. I went to the dealership and had them install it during an oil change. It was only about $100 to install. The only thing that tells me that it's there is the water temperature has increased slightly. I had a reece class 3 hitch installed on my jeep, only because it gives me a 2" reciever and i'm able to use any accessories I want to.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #15 of 18 Old 08-31-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the input, Smokey. I've been thinking about a class 3 as well since I already have a 2" reciever on my Dingo

post #16 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveSCB View Post
Anyone installed an aftermarket oil cooler? I found this one - http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...umber=82210700 but I'm curious if anyone else here has first hand experience with it.
I installed this one bought it from the dealer. Took about two hours to install. I just changed the oil filter and topped up the oil rather than a complete oil change. I bought a jug of coolant from the dealer as well as you pretty much drain the system. Once thing you have to have is a 12mm allen wrench to remove the stud and put in the new longer one the oil fileter threads onto. It was a fairly easy swap out and I honestly haven't noticed any diiference as far as temperature gauge goes. Just want to cover my a** when it comes to warranty issues.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveSCB View Post
I installed this one bought it from the dealer. Took about two hours to install. I just changed the oil filter and topped up the oil rather than a complete oil change. I bought a jug of coolant from the dealer as well as you pretty much drain the system. Once thing you have to have is a 12mm allen wrench to remove the stud and put in the new longer one the oil fileter threads onto. It was a fairly easy swap out and I honestly haven't noticed any diiference as far as temperature gauge goes. Just want to cover my a** when it comes to warranty issues.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM

ive seen a guy towing three four wheelers, 2 sport and one mini!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in