Roof Rack Cross Rails - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 Old 08-22-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Roof Rack Cross Rails

I just picked up my 2008 Jeep Compass North and the wind noise from the Jeep OEM cross rails of my roof rack is driving me crazy!!! I will take into the dealer on Monday, but I would like to know if others have experienced this. I need the roof rack to transport my kayaks in the summer and skis in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Garage
Re: Roof Rack Cross Rails

With sun roof open, I get objectionable wind noise with the front bar in the forward position.
With the front bar at the second position I do not notice the wind noise.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #3 of 24 Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: Roof Rack Cross Rails

Thanks alot.
I moved the roof racks to the second position ... and Presto ! NO more wind noise.
The dealers should know this when they prep a new car for delivery .... espcially with the exaggerated preparation and transport charges they levy on us, the consumer.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Garage
Unhappy Trick Allen Key for the Cross Rails

When you attach the cross rails to the roof rails they are locked in place with a allen key supplied. It has a hole in the end which allows it to fit over a small stud in the bolt hole.
DO NOT LOOSE THIS KEY!
I put mine in some safe place, so safe not even I can find it.
Now I cannot reposition the rails.
I have tried a couple of dealers, the first had to be convinced that the rails were not just locked with the key also used. Then suggested I have a machine shop modify a standard allen key.
The second suggested I (somehow) break off the small stud in the center of the bolt hole. Now how would one go about that???
You would think it would be available by order through the MOPAR system.

Loved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #5 of 24 Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Garage
Sounds like it's a security allen or hex key that you need. They are common and you can pick one up at any good tool store, an entire set should be relitively inexpensive. I picked up an entire set of 100 security bits for about $20.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #6 of 24 Old 06-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Garage
Thank you - so this is not such a unique part!
Will follow up your suggestion.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #7 of 24 Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 PM

Garage
I'm surprised that thier shop people wouldn't know what it was, they should be familiar with them. I had a dynasty once and rebuilt the steering column and needed some for in it. Oh well, salesmen what can you do.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #8 of 24 Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 PM

I used to work at a tool store called Cummins Tools, which is now world wide liquidators. They sold the tool as well.. pretty cheap like 15 or 20 bucks in a big set. They are around you just have to find one.

2007 JEEP Compass Rallye
1984 BMW 533i

post #9 of 24 Old 06-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Garage
Question Wind noise from the cross bars!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiki6666 View Post
I just picked up my 2008 Jeep Compass North and the wind noise from the Jeep OEM cross rails of my roof rack is driving me crazy!!! I will take into the dealer on Monday, but I would like to know if others have experienced this. I need the roof rack to transport my kayaks in the summer and skis in the winter.
Well . . . I found the bit needed to unlock and re-position the cross bars. Truth is that my canoe carries much better with the cross bars at the two extremities. As the bars do not relocate easily now I chose to keep the front bar in the fore-most position, but the wind noise. Is there any solution to eliminate the noise keeping the front bar up front????

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #10 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 AM

I am contemplating roof rack cross rails. I have a canoe and might want to haul it with the Compass or the Liberty. I wouldn't be going too far so wind noise would not be a big problem with me. Are you all securing the bow/stern under the Jeep somewhere?

|
|
post #11 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Garage
Canoe bow and stern tie down

No> there is no place to tie down, front or back.
The canoe rides very secure with the straps that come with the canoe mounting attachments.
I tie the bow and stern lines to the cross bars to prevent any possible movement.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #12 of 24 Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 AM

Sounds good! I will look into it further.

|
|
post #13 of 24 Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Rack - OEM

I have just purchased a 2008 compass and I usually haul bikes and kayaks. I read a post on here that gave good info about the oem racks by mopar and I bought and installled them. They were very easy to install and look great. However, I have always used yakima bike holders and yakima doesn't fit with this system. Also, I need a wind fairing and I cannot find one that fits this model. Does anyone know of a fairing or components to work with this system? The wind noise from the racks is very loud.

Thanks!
post #14 of 24 Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 AM

Garage
Question A wind fairing - anybody have any ideas????

A wind fairing - where oh where to get one.
If you move the bar back to second postition wind noise disappears but I need the bar in front.
If you just hold your hand up through the sunroof with your fingers higher than the bar, the noise diminishes.
Really needs the fairing.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #15 of 24 Old 07-17-2009, 04:36 AM

If you had the CVT you could just keep your hand extended through the open sunroof!

|
|

Last edited by Jeepster2; 07-17-2009 at 04:39 AM.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Garage
Talking

Thanks! Finally somebody has given me a good use for the automatic . . . still . . . I'd rather mix my own gears.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #17 of 24 Old 08-01-2009, 12:01 PM

I just received my 2009 Compass. Can someone give me the dimensions for the roof rack cross bars. All of our gear to carry our bikes are from Yakima. I don't want to by the cross bars if I cannot figure a way to put our current bike racks on them.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

I had to buy the cross rail from Mopar...........'cause my old bars (Thule) wouldn't fit with this roof structure......and they were asking way too much to convert the bars to this roof type. I bought the cross rails for $200 at the dealer which is not bad ar all.
Thule or Yakima uses the same set up...........and as for your bike rack...........my suggestion is to bring a portion of it at the dealer and check if it's compatible.

My 2 cents........

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #19 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 PM

whistling roof racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiki6666 View Post
Seems we share this problem.
I am surprised that MOPAR has no solution, it is not a difficult fix, Thule and Yakima both offer a wind fairing. Has anybody asked their dealer about this??
post #20 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 PM

Roof Racks - Yakima / Thule

Hey Razab,

I have done a lot of research and visits to yakima/thule dealers trying to get a fit for my old yakima bike racks/kayak/canoe parts. Basically I have found out that nothing works to use my old stuff. The only solution that I found from a yakima dealer was to purchase the load warrior and then you could use all of your old yakima parts (except you would still have to purchase the mopar sport utility bars) Yakima does not have a fit or offer Q-clips to make your yakima bars work. What I have decided is to: I have already bought and installed the sport utility bars (looks good). I also just ordered the bike and kayak mopar carriers from jparts (cheapest I have found but slow shipping because they get it from the manuf.). Anyway, I decided that the yakima load warrior would look cool but would kill my gas mileage and would still cost me more than buying the mopar parts. My biggest problem now is that I realllllllly need a wind fairing even though I moved the rack back to the second position I think it affects gas mileage without it.

Hope this helps. Jeep needs to come up with solutions as well as yakima/thule.
post #21 of 24 Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 AM

Thule sells a roof rack that fits the car. I am not sure how long it has been available. As you can see in this picture I do have my Yakima bike racks up on top..
img12.yfrog.com/img12/8360/k3x.jpg
post #22 of 24 Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 AM

Garage
I was pricing out the rails and my wholesaler said that due to the rails on the roof the only racks that fit are Thule that he is aware of. They're not real expensive, only $260 for a set of 3. I'm also eyeing up the ladder rack and the conduit rack.

post #23 of 24 Old 11-29-2018, 01:40 AM

Old post but still usefull. I just bought cross bars at my local Kenny u-pull (self service junk yard) and I had an hard time figuring the security Allen key size. Its a 5/32" tamperproof allen key.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Nice information. . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in