Premium fuel vs regular - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Premium fuel vs regular

Im thinking of switching to premium octane fuel to see what advantages (if any) with the use of premium fuel. Here there are only two types 95 octane and 100 octane (European ratings). Wanted to know if the extra octane is worth it. Gas prices here are at 1.14 euros per liter for regular and 1.4 for premium. Big jump.

Black Limited 4x4 , Beige Leather
CVT auto
Boston speaker upgrade (part of Limited package in Greece)
Jeep mudflaps
Chrome door sills
Rear parking sensor
K&N replacement air filter[/color]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Re: Premium fuel vs regular

I use 87 octane with a 10% ethanol blend and the manual specifies this fuel only to the point it recommends against the higher ocyane fuels. Mostly its just a waste of money to use a high octane fuel unless it is specified. Your better of spending your money buying regular petrol from a high volume brand name retailer. The gas will be cleaner.
"Your vehicle is designed to meet all emission
regulations and provide excellent fuel
economy when using high quality regular
unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of
87. The use of premium gasoline is not
recommended. The use of premium gasoline
will provide no benefit over high quality regular
gasolines, and in some circumstances, may result in
poorer performance.
Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to
your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at
high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is
required."

2007 Compass / Black / FWD / CVT
post #3 of 8 Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM

Re: Premium fuel vs regular

I ran the premium fuel initially since I do that in all my cars. It did not run any better or get better fuel economy. The quality of the regular gas made a huge difference however!

So no, I also would not recommend it.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 CVT
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 AM

Do not waste your money with high octane fuel on the compass, high octane is for engines with a high compression pistons. It keeps the fuel from igniting to soon to avoid engine knock. I used to think the higher the octane number the more power, not the case. I have a compass and a Grand Prix gtp, it is supercharged from the factory and can only run high octane fuel or I get a check engine light because the computer is adjusting the timing for the low octane. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 AM

I agree 100% with the posts so far. I have tried a higher octane for the last two tanks. It has not made a bit of difference in performance or MPG. Your 95 octane is much higher than what is required.

I always use a brand name gas. The one time I had to buy gas from a cut rate retailer my 2.4 started miss firing. It took a tank and a half to clear it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Since we're on the subject of fuel, when we bought our Durango ('05) the dealer told us not to use any gas that had TECHRON additive in a MOPAR engine. He said it "eats" the seals. I thought he might be feeding me a line of BS, but mechanic backed that statement up, so I don't use Chevron or Texaco unless there is nothing else around.
My Durango and Cherokee (RIP) both run best on CONOCO PHILLIPS gas, and as luck would have it, it's usually $.05 cheaper per gallon than the Chevron brands.

Man was indeed meant to fly...but only in one direction!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 PM

The fuel chip is set for regular gas ( 87 octane). I think using premium fuel is a waste of money and it may do harm to the engine. I use whatever fuel is the cheapest. Since all gasoline is made the same way. Brand name fuels place dyes in the gas to make them appear different. I won't buy gas at station that doesn't sell much gas since the tank bottoms my be full of sediment or water. I won't buy gas at a station that is being refilled by a fuel tanker because when they pump fuel into the tank they stir up the sediment from the tank's bottom..
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire410 View Post
The fuel chip is set for regular gas ( 87 octane). I think using premium fuel is a waste of money and it may do harm to the engine. I use whatever fuel is the cheapest. Since all gasoline is made the same way. Brand name fuels place dyes in the gas to make them appear different. I won't buy gas at station that doesn't sell much gas since the tank bottoms my be full of sediment or water. I won't buy gas at a station that is being refilled by a fuel tanker because when they pump fuel into the tank they stir up the sediment from the tank's bottom..
IBID!
The vehicule is ment to run on regular octane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in