http://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/jsp/cgc ... een%20Cars

Wow!
:!:

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 PM

Re: Diesel Jeep Patriot Vs. Toyota Prius

I've heard the same regarding many of the hybrids, especially when highway speeds are required. If you're staying under 60kph (~36mph) you get significantly better fuel mileage. Once the lawn mower sized engine kicks in on the highway though it has to work considerably harder than a normal engine because of it size.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM

It would be interesting to hear what Toyota say about the accuracy of their computers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 AM

OK, two things here:

1. I own a Prius. It's a well-known fact among owners that the fuel tank has a bladder in it. As a result, it shrinks & grows slightly with temperature (& possibly altitude) changes. So you never actually fill the tank. Sometimes it holds 38L, sometimes 40L, never the actual 45L. The inaccuracy in the tank fill amount is made worse when you're not filling up over the course of several thousand kilometers. [Source]

2. I've put on just over 8,400 km on my Prius. I keep track of L, km driven, etc. for each fillup. The MFD (onboard computer) readings have averaged 5.679 L/100km over that distance. My calculations put the actual fuel consumption at 5.680 L/100km. From my calculations it's spot-on! Albeit I fill up when the tank is nearly empty so my MFD displayed consumption is likely a lot more accurate. That's my results anyway.

I'd like to see the test repeated for a minimum of 600km (what I average on a tank). Given the fuel bladder issue they should go through more like 3-5 tanks of fuel.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-16-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

To bad Chrysler won't sell the Diesel Jeep Patriot / Compass in North America.

post #6 of 13 Old 09-17-2008, 08:37 PM

If they had the diesel Compass here in Canada I'd have one of those in my garage instead of the Prius. Jeep are you listening?
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
If they had the diesel Compass here in Canada I'd have one of those in my garage instead of the Prius. Jeep are you listening?
Me too. I'd even take a Diesel Patriot.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM

As much as I love my Compass, they could count me in.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel543
As much as I love my Compass, they could count me in.
I'd probably keep our Compass for my wife and buy a Diesel Patriot or Diesel Compass for myself. Right now we only have 1 vehicle.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-11-2008, 02:38 PM

I own one of the few Jeep Patriots on British roads. I also have an acquaintance who has a Toyota Prius (and are any of us allowed to forget it?!). As a result I was very interested to read about the test run between the two cars.
Over the last sixteen years I've had four Land Rover Discoveries, two Freelanders and a couple of other 4 by 4's (Soz, Guys, SUVs). I drive each week from my home in the North Yorkshire Moors to London and back, a round trip of between five and six hundred miles, depending on the route that I have to take. I don't have any problem believing that the Jeep does between thirty-five and forty to the English Gallon. None of my previous four-by-fours has come close to this. Despite what Land Rover claims, I'd say that the present Discovery is close to twenty.
I've read a fair few disparaging remarks about the Patriot over the last few months, some of which I disagree with.
The interior is indeed sparse, tacky plastic, but, remember this is a basic model Jeep at the bottom end of the price range. And, anyway, I'm happier with something I can run a wet rag over when the mud gets in rather than worry about a set of car seats that look like they've just come from Barker & Stonehouse's London furniture showroom.
Two articles that I've read complained about the "excessive wind noise" above sixty. All can say is something like, "Well, you can't have driven many off-roaders in your day". This one's a quiet, purring *****-cat compared with a 'bishi Shogun or ANYTHING by Daihatsu. A trip in a Daihatsu is like sitting out an ice-storm at Everest base-camp.
Your postings give me the impression that there ISN'T a Jeep Patriot in Canada; is that true?

Rocal
post #11 of 13 Old 10-11-2008, 04:07 PM

rocal, we have the Patriot here, but no diesel engine option.

See http://www.jeep.ca for our lineup.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Generally speaking, Webmaster, ALL four-by-fours are diesel over here, except for a few that are driven by regular competitive off-roaders who need the rapid situational-response that a petrol-engined V8 provides.
The reason has got to be the petrol (gas) prices. Even though diesel fuel is slightly more expensive in Britain than petrol (No, I can't work out how they justify that one either) the price of both makes for diesel being by far the most preferred for big-engined vehicles.
Although fuel prices are dropping slightly, a gallon of fuel is still around six to seven English pounds; that's around fourteen US dollars a gallon. I really should know the Canadian equivalent, having had a Canadian Mum, but I'm ashamed to say, I don't!
Rocal
post #13 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocal View Post
Generally speaking, Webmaster, ALL four-by-fours are diesel over here, except for a few that are driven by regular competitive off-roaders who need the rapid situational-response that a petrol-engined V8 provides.
The reason has got to be the petrol (gas) prices. Even though diesel fuel is slightly more expensive in Britain than petrol (No, I can't work out how they justify that one either) the price of both makes for diesel being by far the most preferred for big-engined vehicles.
Although fuel prices are dropping slightly, a gallon of fuel is still around six to seven English pounds; that's around fourteen US dollars a gallon. I really should know the Canadian equivalent, having had a Canadian Mum, but I'm ashamed to say, I don't!
Rocal
You can see Gas Prices in the Greater Toronto Area here:

http://www.torontogasprices.com/

Diesel is a little more expensive than gasoline, it didn't used to be that way but a few years ago they started charging more for it.

We don't have many Diesel vehicles here. They discontinued the Diesel Jeep Liberty a few years ago and they discontinued the Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee last year.

Now we pretty much just have Diesel pickups from Ford, GM & Dodge and the Diesel Jetta & Passat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in