My Jeep - I was rear-ended - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Angry My Jeep - I was rear-ended

Unfortunately I was rear ended on Saturday by a person in an Acura TL. Only 5000 miles on the Jeep.

His car suffered quite a bit of damage, and his airbags caused his wrists some burning. The police office thought he hit me at close to 30, but I am not sure it was that fast. I think the damage would be worse if I did not have a trailer hitch with the ball in it.

My bumper got moved slight out of place and the place below is dented in pretty bad.

Not sure on the estimate, just waiting on the insurance to come to the office.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep_Damage.jpg (54.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110806_121330.jpg (59.9 KB, 52 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Garage
same thing happened to mine last monday. did your headrests go off?
post #3 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Garage
Ouch! The TL definitely took the worst of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

My headrests did go off. I am unable to reset the headrests. The insurance company is coming to my office today to inspect the vehicle.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3man View Post
My headrests did go off. I am unable to reset the headrests. The insurance company is coming to my office today to inspect the vehicle.
What do you mean by "the headrests going off and unable to reset them?"
post #6 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM

I see you have Class III hitch much like mine. I always leave the receiver in it just in case someone want to bump me or tangle with the rear. It breaks a lot of the blow minimizing penetration.

Your back end looks different though. lools more like a WJ than a Compass back end.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
What do you mean by "the headrests going off and unable to reset them?"
The headrests are called active head restraints. They actually expand out and up in rear crash.

They expand like this image:
post #8 of 21 Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3man View Post
The headrests are called active head restraints. They actually expand out and up in rear crash.

<image>
exactly. mine went off in my accident as well, but, strangely enough, the airbags did not.

here's what they looked like in my compass
post #9 of 21 Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Yikes, sorry to see and hear about this but definitely looks like the TL took the brunt of the hit and not very well either just glad you're ok! What did your insurance say?

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #10 of 21 Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Yikes, sorry to see and hear about this but definitely looks like the TL took the brunt of the hit and not very well either just glad you're ok! What did your insurance say?

- Cherokee
My Insurance came out to look at the Jeep on Tuesday. They estimated the damage at around 858.00. They gave me a two-party check for that amount. The insurance faxed the estimate to the body shop, and the shop has the parts on order. They will work with the collision shop directly in case there is there is additional damage underneath. I am hoping to drop the car off at the shop on Monday. The shop said maybe 2 days, because of paint.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Once they pull the bumper skin off there will be some damage to the internal bumper bar. I find that strange process giving you a check. Have you sign anything settling with them (insurance). The usually pay the body shops directly after the jobs done.

Thats also a pretty small estimate.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #12 of 21 Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Once they pull the bumper skin off there will be some damage to the internal bumper bar. I find that strange process giving you a check. Have you sign anything settling with them (insurance). The usually pay the body shops directly after the jobs done.

Thats also a pretty small estimate.

Good luck
Nothing has been signed with the insurance. The check is only an estimate, and the insurance will pay the rest to the body shop, once they look at the vehicle. MI is no fault. At least one good thing, I have no deductible to pay
post #13 of 21 Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Garage
This is interesting. In NY the insurance company would pay you based on the body shop estimate. Its up to you to actually get the car fixed. In general, this is nice because usually the body shop over estimates so what they actually charge you is considerably less than the check. In other words, you make out in the end. OR don't fix the car at all and pocket the money
post #14 of 21 Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post
This is interesting. In NY the insurance company would pay you based on the body shop estimate. Its up to you to actually get the car fixed. In general, this is nice because usually the body shop over estimates so what they actually charge you is considerably less than the check. In other words, you make out in the end. OR don't fix the car at all and pocket the money
That's what happened with me in GA. Lady hit me in a parking lot. Fortunately, she had good insurance. The adjuster came out and looked at my vehicle and wrote me a check for that amount. It was such a small dent that I chose to fix it myself and put the money towards something else but glad you're getting it fixed and doesn't sound like it's going to take too long.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #15 of 21 Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Garage
it will be longer than two days. my parts department told me that the rear valence is on backorder. mine took a week to come in.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 PM

I tried this once and lost it, so I hope this isn't a duplicate post. Anyways, your story sounds eerily like ous. I really feel for you.

Bought our compass about 1 year ago, on 8/17. On 9/23, we had a freakish hail storm come through at work, and with less than 1000 miles on the odometer, we had a great amount of hail damage.

Still waiting to have the hail damaged repaired, on Oct.12th, we got rear ended while sitting at a red light.

Originally, the dork who rear ended us, denied having insurance, claiming he was driving someone elses care. Without insurance, I had to turn the claim into my insurance. The visable damage was 2 holes from the bolts of his license plate and an imprint of his license plate on the rear bumper. They wrote me a check for $539.00 ($500.00 deductible). This would pay for patching and repainting the bumper cover only.

My insurance found out that he did have insurance. I had the hail damage and the bumper repaired at the same time. It turned out that in addition to to outside damage, the styrofoam between the bumper and the bumper cover was cracked, and the bracket that holds the bumper onto the chassis. The total cost was $2500.00. His insurance paid that and for a rental car for the almost 2 weeks that it was in th shop.

The hail damage was also about $2500.00, which greatly exceeded the insurance company's estimate. Lesson learned, don't accept your insurance company's offer.

You didn't mention where or not you or your passengers had been injured. Immediately, after the accident, my husband experienced back pain, and I had neck pain,and migranes. Our insurance paid for our treatment.

A few months later, our insurance company called, out of the blue, and offered us a monetary sum to cover our pain and suffering.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #17 of 21 Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 PM

By the way, when we were rear ended, our headrests did not activate. Is there a minimum speed or impact that needs to be met?

Barbara Frechette
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #18 of 21 Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Update

I got my compass back on 8/25. Everything was repaired fine. The final bill came in at $1102.21. The shop dealt with the insurance for the rest. Everything was handled fine. The Jeep looks great. Now I have a court summons as a witness, because the guy who hit me is challenging the ticket he received.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-05-2011, 03:55 AM

nice!

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #20 of 21 Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Garage
i still haven't gotten mine back yet, and my repair bill is up to $8,000
post #21 of 21 Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM

There sure seems to be a lot of Compasses being rear-ended. Could it be that it is just so sharp looking that people are mezmorized by them, and not paying attention?

Barbara Frechette
St. Paul, MN, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in