Can a 2008 Compass key be copied outside of the dealership - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Can a 2008 Compass key be copied outside of the dealership

Hello everyone!

Quick question: Can the Compass' key be copied outside of the dealership, say at a local hardware, etc.?

The Compass key also contains the locking FOB, but does it contain a security chip?

The hardware store told us that they could copy the key, but that it wouldn't work and could possibly cause the vehicle to be disabled if we tried to use it.

Does anyone know if this is true for this particular vehicle? I can see this being true for high end vehicles having chip security in their keys, but I'm skeptical that the Compass has this feature.

Thanks!

-CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM

Re: Can a 2008 Compass key be copied outside of the dealership

Key must be programmed in the dealership. Physically identical, but not programmed key would just start the vehicle for few seconds. I have tried.
And you can try only for a couple (3?) times (that I've only heard, not tried ).
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 AM

Re: Can a 2008 Compass key be copied outside of the dealership

I recently ordered a transponder key off ebay and got it cut at a local lock smith and programmed it myself.

I was told by the locksmith that anyone can cut the key.

When i purchaed my Compass i was told by the dealer that the key had built in security, that if an incorrect key was used to start the car that the car would only run for 15 seconds then shut off.

If you have TWO programmed transponder keys then you can get the key cut for a couple of $$ then program it yourself.

07 Compass Limited
Jeep Green Metallic Clear Coat
Continuously Variable Transaxle II
Customer Preferred Package 26F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 AM

Yes Locksmith can copy the keys for your vehicle and charge you affordable prices.I have personal experience of copying my compass keys by Locksmith in Coral Gables at affordable prices.You should try.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 PM

Once cut there should be programming sequence in the owners manual. If supported otherwise your year is a dealer programming only.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassSport View Post
Hello everyone!

Quick question: Can the Compass' key be copied outside of the dealership, say at a local hardware, etc.?

The Compass key also contains the locking FOB, but does it contain a security chip?

The hardware store told us that they could copy the key, but that it wouldn't work and could possibly cause the vehicle to be disabled if we tried to use it.

Does anyone know if this is true for this particular vehicle? I can see this being true for high end vehicles having chip security in their keys, but I'm skeptical that the Compass has this feature.

Thanks!

-CS
I bought a key only off ebay, had it cut at the hardware store and programmed it myself with no problems.
I have both remote fobs.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 PM

A hardware cut key may only be able to be used as an emergency key to open the door. Handy if you lock you Jeep keys inside. Depending on the year etc no alarms should be set off. But you cannot use it for anything other than entry to the vehicle. I have one like that for my Sante Fe since its far to costly for a fully endowed smart key. Do as posted above if you want it to be as the original.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in