Stock tires?.. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Stock tires?..

Greetings:

We have a 2008 Jeep Compass Limited, bought it in January, and after less than 40,000 km, the Firestone GTA tires are down to 3/32nds. Has anyone else had these wear down so quickly?... WE called the dealer, they said to call the local tire shop, and the local tire shop basically laughed, so now, less than a year after we bought the Compass, we're looking at $1600 for either new tires or a new tire/rim setup... I spent a lot of money on this vehicle, and don't believe I should have to shell out for new tires less than a year after we bought the damned vehicle!

Anyone else run into this?...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 PM

Re: Stock tires?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphoid
Greetings:

We have a 2008 Jeep Compass Limited, bought it in January, and after less than 40,000 km, the Firestone GTA tires are down to 3/32nds. Has anyone else had these wear down so quickly?... WE called the dealer, they said to call the local tire shop, and the local tire shop basically laughed, so now, less than a year after we bought the Compass, we're looking at $1600 for either new tires or a new tire/rim setup... I spent a lot of money on this vehicle, and don't believe I should have to shell out for new tires less than a year after we bought the damned vehicle!
Why would they say to call the local tire shop? What do they have to do with it?
But usually the tires that come with any vehicle are crap unless you pay for a upgraded one when you buy the vehicle. So 40,000 km on those tires isn't too bad. But $1600.00 for new ones? Thats $400 for each tire! You should be able to get good tires for less than $200.00 each.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Garage
Re: Stock tires?..

Yep. OE tires that comes with the car are always crap and not covered by any kind of warranty. I'm surprised you only did a year thought, but they were noisy and crapy anyway. You can get very good tires for about $150-200 each, shop around.

FliPPeR
------------
2008 Bright Silver North Edition 4x4 manual trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 02:28 AM

Yes, I had the same problem. At less than 40kms, dealer tells me I need new tires too! I have Firestone Firehawks... they came with the vehicle, which I paid premium price for as it is loaded with everything possible BUT - no maps for the GPS for the Maritimes, the u connect doesn't work and the garage door opener doesn't work. There is so much road noise I don't want to take anyone with me on the highway.. it is truly embarassing.
The tire size is really hard to find! R18! Where can I get good, reasonably priced tires in that size? Help!!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 AM

I did not care for the tires that came with my Compass. They were LOUD with poor handling and awful ride. I switched to Yokohama Avids they have made so much difference; the Compass is a totally different beast with good rubber between it and the ground. By the way the factory shoes lasted only about 24,000 miles. I don't drive fast but I don't slow down for curves either.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 AM

Try these 1010tires.com for tires in Canada. I've heard good things.

08 Compass FWD, 5-speed, Mopar Sirius
post #7 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 AM

Angry GTA Tires - I got only 40,000 as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphoid View Post
Greetings:

Hi there Zaphoid.. I had the exact same problem with my 2007 Compass Limited. The dealer was not much help. As you know by now, the Limited has odd size tires P15/255/R18 - and ONLY the Limited has this size. The other models have 17" tires - which are much more readily available in a good selection. The 18" is really hard to find, and I finally went to Coast Tire and found the Goodyear Tripletreads and they have me a deal (installed for $1,200.) They made such a difference in the ride and are so quiet! I LOVE them! I find it hard to believe that the GTA Firehawks were so rough riding, and so noisy! And, the Tripletreads are great looking tires, much beefier.. the whole vehicle looks more stable. I am so happy with my much improved ride. Mind you, I don't put a lot of miles on in a year, so my Firehawks lasted two years. If I ever order a new car again, decent tires will be on my list. I had no idea they put this junk on new cars. Did you get new tires yet? If so, what did you buy and are you happy with them?

Gaily
post #8 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 AM

Thumbs up 1010tires.com??

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1llyw View Post
Try these 1010tires.com for tires in Canada. I've heard good things.
Hi Billy.. I finally bought my tires at Coast.. they were great, and have a warranty.. free rotation and balancing every 5000kms. I did check some on-line sources, but delivery charges to PEI cost half as much as the whole set of tires!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in