"Click" sound while in Park - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
"Click" sound while in Park

Hey everyone. Recently I noticed that when I have my 2011 Jeep Compass in park and hit the brake there is a clicking sound coming from underneath the transmission box in the center front of my car. I can feel the click under the "Stick". It only happens while in park, no other mode. Any thoughts?

2011 Jeep Compass Lat. 4x4
Sun/Sound Package
26B Package
Sat. Radio
Mopar molded mud flaps & Mopar Winter Slush Matts
Weathertech vent visors (in-channel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2011, 06:57 PM

Well other than you have to press the Brake before you're allowed to move the CVT gear shifter. I would get it looked at anyway since I have never heard that being noisy on any vehicle. You could try press the brake but stop before it clicks, can you change gears, press more just to the click and try changing gears again.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I can change gears just fine. Jeep runs fine. Just when in park and I happen to tap on the brake there is a click noise on each press of the brake.

2011 Jeep Compass Lat. 4x4
Sun/Sound Package
26B Package
Sat. Radio
Mopar molded mud flaps & Mopar Winter Slush Matts
Weathertech vent visors (in-channel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 AM

All the clicking is the lock from the gear shift moving out of the way when you press the brake. If you kinda put your ear up to the gear shift when you press the brake you'll hear a little click.

2007 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4
2.4L
post #5 of 6 Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 PM

Question 2015 Jeep Compass Doing This

Just notice today my 2015 Jeep Compass doing this, too. However, it's not a faint click sound. It sounds like someone put an empty water bottle inside the box for the gear shift and when I press the brake I am crushing the water bottle. This sound does not happen when the car is turned off. It does not happen when I am driving and brake. It only happens when I am in park and press the brake to shift out of park. Concerning for me because this is a newer vehicle.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2018, 03:27 PM

clicking sound from shifter assy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVasinko View Post
Just notice today my 2015 Jeep Compass doing this, too. However, it's not a faint click sound. It sounds like someone put an empty water bottle inside the box for the gear shift and when I press the brake I am crushing the water bottle. This sound does not happen when the car is turned off. It does not happen when I am driving and brake. It only happens when I am in park and press the brake to shift out of park. Concerning for me because this is a newer vehicle.
I realize this is an older thread but want to share my experience. I had the same problem with a 2015 compass, loud click when applying
brake in park. Purchased car used but under warranty to May 18. They replaced the shifter assy with interlock and no more clicking sound
problem solved. Took about an hour to do.

Good Luck

Lou

2015 compass latitude, billet metalic, 6sp auto, 2.4L. oem slush mats, s/s exhaust tip, classII hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in