Poor Acustics, Road Noise, Tire Humm, Wheel Bearings ??? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Poor Acustics, Road Noise, Tire Humm, Wheel Bearings ???

I have a 2008 Compass 2WD, 21,000km's showing, original factory tires, Northern Edition. Have what sounds like a severe case of Tire Humm at normal cruising speeds. If it could be something else , could someone enlighten me please. Assuming it is Tire Humm and poor acustics. Any ideas on how I could muffle the sound without breaking the Bank. Thanks

Last edited by Mister TyZo; 03-17-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Refreasing Question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 AM

My compass is a 2007 Limited 4x4 with 40,000kms.. original factory tires (Firestone Firehawks) the noisiest vehicle ever at cruising speeds... The Dealer is blaming it on the tires, said they are wearing unevenly (even though I have nitrogen which is not supposed to let the tire pressure fluctuate). Dealer is also trying me to put new tires on it, and quoted me an awesome price of $289. per tire! I am afraid to spend that much and then find out that it is not the tires making the noise. It seems to be a highspeed whop,whop, noise. If you find anything out, please let me know.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 AM

Yeah it's the tires. I switched to Yokohama Avids. I can now hear the radio. I can talk to the person next to me. I can listen to the birds sing... well you get the idea. I shopped around and found some at a national (U.S.) chain for about $160 installed each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 02:50 AM

I've got the Firestone Affinity on mine. Are they just as bad?

08 Compass FWD, 5-speed, Mopar Sirius
post #5 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 AM

It is just a fact of life the the factory tires are not usually the best choice for most cars. If a tire salesman ever tells you this is the same type tire that comes standard on any kind of car...RUN.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassLimited View Post
Yeah it's the tires. I switched to Yokohama Avids. I can now hear the radio. I can talk to the person next to me. I can listen to the birds sing... well you get the idea. I shopped around and found some at a national (U.S.) chain for about $160 installed each.
I bought my Compass used with the new Yokohama tires installed. I have no complaints so far. I suspect it is the Firestone tire/design, but I have not experienced this myself. I am kind of dreading my first purchase of replacement tires though and don't know just what that is going to cost!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #7 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister TyZo View Post
I have a 2008 Compass 2WD, 21,000km's showing, original factory tires, Northern Edition. Have what sounds like a severe case of Tire Humm at normal cruising speeds. If it could be something else , could someone enlighten me please. Assuming it is Tire Humm and poor acustics. Any ideas on how I could muffle the sound without breaking the Bank. Thanks
You can't muffle the sound unless you get good tires... believe me. When I picked up my Compass at the tire shop and drove out on those new Goodyear Triple Treads... I thought I was in a different car! The difference in ride, noise, was AWESOME! It has made all the difference in the way I feel about my vehicle.. it now performs like I expected. Even better than when it came direct from the factory. They did cost me $300. a piece, but with the odd size tire (R1 your choices are limited. I have the 4x4 Limited. It seems the Limited is the only model with the 18" wheels. You should be able to get better tires for less with your 2wd model. Good Luck!
post #8 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassLimited View Post
I know what you mean! You really can hear the birds sing (LOL) - as opposed to yelling at your passengers so they can hear you. I would never have believed that tires can be so rough and noisy. I was really concerned that it may be the vehicle... but it drives like a dream now with good tires on it. I got the Goodyear TripleTreads. I'm happy.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 AM

One thing I did when I was bothered by the HUMMMMMMM is go to my carpet dealers scrap bin. Found a section of carpet large enough to cover the rear with the seats folded down. Cut and fit in just a few minutes. Cost $0.00

When I bought new tires I cut down the section to just fit over the spare tire cover. I am always hauling something and it pads and protects. It also keeps the equipment I haul from rattling around. If it gets too dirty I'll toss it and go get another section.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 08-04-2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Wish I could spelt.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Hi Gaily! Thanks so much for your post! My '09 Rocky Mountain sounds like a bear on the road--I'm hoping Goodyear Triple threads so on sale soon!!
post #11 of 12 Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Compared to the road noise from my old Cherokee, my Compass is whisper quiet, even with standard factory tires.

Man was indeed meant to fly...but only in one direction!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Garage
Compared to my BMW 325is - Compass is very quite as well,
that sez alot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in