Jeep Compass should never have been built??? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tripplec

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 Old 09-15-2011, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Jeep Compass should never have been built???

Jeep Compass News - Autoblog

2010 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4, Natural Green Pearl
Winner of COTM November 2011
Winner of COTM March 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM

I'd have to agree with the review and the price of the 2011 is certainly too high for this vehicle. Its a good AWD/4WD alternative for someone who does NOT want a typical SUV styled vehicle which my wife did not want. She's had several and did not want another SUV looking vehicle. The driving position for her was great unlike others we looked at. Apart from huge reliability and durability concerns (a lot of body parts crossed on that point). We like the vehicle and power is sufficient for our driving expectations/requirements.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Garage
this is a quote of my response on jeepforums

that article burns me up. it leaves out a TON of information! like when they say that it costs $4,000 more than it did at introduction. how about the fact that now it comes standard with power windows, power locks, cruise control, fog lights, etc, that it did not come standard with before? and they claim that a latitude with the FD-II is $27k, which is what their tester is? look at the pictures, they have a loaded up limited 70th anniversary edition with nav! they are right about one thing, the compass did suffer in sales until 2010. but they failed to mention that with the 2011 redesign, from january of this year to july the compass sold over 25,000 units, almost twice what it did in the entire 2010 model year.

the biggest problem with these know-nothings is that their mis-information is killing sales, which is exactly what the article is complaining about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 09-16-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Amen brotha! Well put

2010 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4, Natural Green Pearl
Winner of COTM November 2011
Winner of COTM March 2012
post #5 of 29 Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
from january of this year to july the compass sold over 25,000 units, almost twice what it did in the entire 2010 model year.
Holy crap! that awesome news!

I got both of my 08 & 11 compass for #1 AWD/4x4 #2 fuel economy, #3 the looks (i thought it was better looking that the patriot ... but thats my opinion). Sure i could have gotten a surbaru outback, ford escape... etc etc i compared them all. The compass doesnt get the best gas mileage in its class BUT at the end of the day you have to like how your car looks too. Its all a matter of opinion and the guy who wrote the review obviously didn't like it. But i can tell you i've been seeing ALOT of the new body style (vs when the old body style first came out... you barely saw ANY) that has to say something for the compass!!!

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #6 of 29 Old 09-17-2011, 12:46 PM

I am very pleased with my 2011 4wd. Price was good, get 25mpg on the average, has performed well on crappy dirt roads, and it looks good.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 PM

It's like my Caliber Srt4 the review said it's a piece of scrap! But I never had a issue with my CSRT4 and I done 100000km.

Opinion is like an ass everybody got one.... sorry for ma langage.

Last edited by realtune; 09-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 AM

I just rented a Chevy Cruze for a week. Very nice vehicle, good mileage, good power, handled nicely, but I was very happy to get back in my 2008 Jeep Compass! I still like the looks of it over a 2011 also.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
I just rented a Chevy Cruze for a week. Very nice vehicle, good mileage, good power, handled nicely, but I was very happy to get back in my 2008 Jeep Compass! I still like the looks of it over a 2011 also.
My wife liked the 2009 look as well. She's had SUV's and did not want something that looked like one. The Compass did not and was also 4x4. She used to drive the Grand Cherokee and others and wanted to get away from the typical style which they pretty well all share. The 2011 goes back into the image/style with the new body. I too am happy with the style and find the big round light very effective and quite bright.

I do wish there was more solid metal behind the front bumper for protect. Even a minor clip of a corner will take out the A/C.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-18-2011, 09:03 PM

My brother showed me this article when he received the magazine. Having had our Compass for over a year, I have to say that it was the right vehicle for us. We went to the dealer, to purchase a used mini-van with over 60,000 miles that was actually more than what we paid for the Compass after generous rebate. Neither my husband or I had even heard of a Compass before we wandered around the lot and found our Jeep.

That said, we realize that it isn't trail rated. We're 50ish and have no plans for that. The Compass fit our price range, it was an adequate size, it was American, we liked the looks of it. Except for one camping trip, it is used primarially for in town driving (transportation to work, shopping, etc). It is what it is, and that works for us.

I for one, am a free thinker, and don't care what the critics think. For example, there have been many times where we've rented the Oscar winning movies, only to wonder why it was a winner.

Both of us had always wanted a Jeep, and this fit into our price range. We are often stopped by people who admire our Jeep, and ask us about it. Any one who listens to the critics and bypasses buy a Compas is really missing out on a great, all-around vehicle. Their loss.

A girl and her Jeep - a beautiful thing

Barbara Frechette
2010 White Jeep Cherokee Sport
St. Paul, MN, USA
post #11 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 AM

Garage
Why no V6?

I agree with you IRSmart, the reviewer is obviously someone who doesn't care about the facts, just their opinion!

Like I said in the 850k sales target thread, I think Fiat have done everything right to maintain and improve the Compass model, my only wish is that they added a V6 option, as the power is lacking with all engines...

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #12 of 29 Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM

I just prchased a 2011 Compass Sport 4X4. Love the smooth ride, quiet interior, and fuel savings. Great little truck for buzzing around town, and getting me into the cottage. (I can't wait for the snow). My ride? *JEEP.
post #13 of 29 Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 PM

We purchased our Compass in March 2009, it is a 2009 North edition with tow prep and we installed a class III on it.
the car already have over 105000KM on it and the only 2 issues we had were one of the front bearing failed around 60K and they replaced both front bearings, then recently the power window control failed which they also replaced under warranty.
We did take the extended warranty to 160K

I read the review above and I am not quite sure I agree with the guy that wrote the review. in fact, when I compare with similar other vehicle I prefer the compass.

my only complaint about the compass is that they do not offer a V6 even optional. this would have increase the tow capacity which is pretty low at 2k.

We are very happy with the compass and I would likely buy the same again. the 4X4 is really good in the snow. it has a very good acceleration too even at high speed.

we are currently thinking of going to the dealer and make a deal to purchase the new model

JM
post #14 of 29 Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarcb View Post

we are currently thinking of going to the dealer and make a deal to purchase the new model

JM
clearly you have not read much on them on this forum. If you;re so inclined you might want to read some of the threads. Either wait tell the end of the year or next years models. They may be better.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #15 of 29 Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
clearly you have not read much on them on this forum. If you;re so inclined you might want to read some of the threads. Either wait tell the end of the year or next years models. They may be better.
they have just as many problems as any other car. what did jeep do to p!ss in your cheerios so badly? i'm just confused as to why you hang around a compass forum if you don't like them, and steer everyone away from them.
post #16 of 29 Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Endured regular shuddering and shaking from the CVT since day one for a year and a half. Chrysler refused to do anything saying that was a normal symptom. They were forced to replace it in the end. Head office service is extremely poor. Some other issue which I won't go into. But the track record on reliability is poor expecially on the earlier years.

No others cars and years don't have this level of problem I have had many 4x4 and many Chrysler vehicles and this is the only one I was sorry to have bought in the end. My Grand Cherokee with over 200k on it has been great as was my minivan with 200k and no major repairs or front end work even. Only one tie rod end and one ball joint in 200k.

I am here helping others and watching for info an trends in problems of subsystems.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 09-23-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
post #17 of 29 Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Endured regular shuddering and shaking from the CVT since day one for a year and a half. Chrysler refused to do anything saying that was a normal symptom. They were forced to replace it in the end. Head office service is extremely poor. Some other issue which I won't go into. But the track record on reliability is poor expecially on the earlier years.

No others cars and years don't have this level of problem I have had many 4x4 and many Chrysler vehicles and this is the only one I was sorry to have bought in the end. My Grand Cherokee with over 200k on it has been great as was my minivan with 200k and no major repairs or front end work even. Only one tie rod end and one ball joint in 200k.

I am here helping others and watching for info an trends in problems of subsystems.
Go to some other car forums and you will see the complaints about them too. Most people will not join a forum until they have a problem and then only to get it fixed. There is a very small number of us Compass owners on here and even fewer that post.
post #18 of 29 Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Gil

Thumbs up Very strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy2010 View Post
Hi all

As I said in my introduction, I have just bought a new Compass 70 anniversary Limited.
I think that reporter likes the past and not the future; I would never have bought the old style Compass, to me very unattractive! The new compass is a different animal
altogether, to me it has benefitted from Fiats influence, I hate to say this more European in style.
I also think we have different options; this model only comes in manual, and has a six speed box, and a 2.2 litre Turbo Charged Mercedes engine. Great acceleration!

As for pricing, it’s a little less than the Honda etc, the Volkswagen coming out £34,000, my Jeep with the MyGIG, parking sensors, and a tow bar, just over £28,000.

For months I looked at the opposition Honda, Volkswagen, and the Toyota Rav.
Not a patch on the Compass.

Gil

Last edited by Gil; 09-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.
post #19 of 29 Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I also think we have different options; this model only comes in manual, and has a six speed box, and a 2.2 litre Turbo Charged Mercedes engine.
that's because you have the european spec model. the diesel engine is not an option in north america.
post #20 of 29 Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 AM

2011 Compass here! NO PROBLEM.

2011 JEEP Compass Sport 4X4
post #21 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 01:26 PM

I love it!!!

I recently bought a used 2010 Compass Sport wit 21000 miles on it.

I read about the poor acceleration, that's a crock. the trick is getting used to the CVT. I find it has more than enough get up and go.

As for the ride, I went from and Explorer XLT to a Compass. A bit bumpier because it's a smaller car but nothing as bad as it's critics say.

It's peppy, gets in and outh of tight traffic well, and is what I expected it to be seeing it's a small Jeep. I love ths little Jeep!!!!
post #22 of 29 Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM

I must agree

I must agree I love it.
More than enough power, just have to learn to adjust to the CVT and let it do its thing.
The only thing I did at 600 miles was to get rid of those tear-able Fstone tires and put some Hankook 225/R60-17 H727 on it. It changed how the vehicle rides and handles. What a difference ten times better.
post #23 of 29 Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemarlin View Post
I must agree I love it.
More than enough power, just have to learn to adjust to the CVT and let it do its thing.
The only thing I did at 600 miles was to get rid of those tear-able Fstone tires and put some Hankook 225/R60-17 H727 on it. It changed how the vehicle rides and handles. What a difference ten times better.
now change you suspension for bc's coilover! you will saw x100 time better. BC's coilover from caliber srt4 fit bolt on compass or patriot same frame.
post #24 of 29 Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
My '07 has been a wonderful ride and I am seriously going to miss it. I love the styling of the original model and feel sure down the road this will be the model sought after (like the original Willys Jeepsters).
Going from 3series BMWs - I was never disappointed with the Compass performance and handling for moment.
My original plan was to run this vehicle ten years but the right side of my brain crashed last month and I ordered a Wrangler, which should just about be complete in it's build and hopefully a week or two away now.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #25 of 29 Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Administrator

I know before I bought my Compass, I read every article/review there was on it, almost a good year's worth of research before I even had the chance to test drive one. Most of the reviews I found, people were trying to make the Compass into a Wrangler and expecting it to perform and handle like a Wrangler. In fact, some of the reviews were so mediocre I stopped reading them and waited to find out for myself. Needless to say, I was sold after seeing it in person and driving it, far better than any article in any magazine.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #26 of 29 Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM

This looks like an opiniated blog to me (without the blogger letting anything like those pesky darn facts getting in the way!) After 10 years of driving a 4-cyl 2WD 2001 Ranger through the NW Michigan winters, we decided to find a good, used 4WD or AWD vehicle for me before I finally succeeded in getting myself killed driving the Ranger. We looked at several (Subaru, Saturn VUE, RAV-4, CR-V, etc but just weren't satisfied. We finally decided to look at a Compass or Patriot since we at the time were driving our third Jeep which is an '07 Commander Limited and before it we had an '05 Liberty Renegade and '93 Grand Cherokee and they have all been great for us. While I was hoping to find a Patriot, I went for the Compass instead and came home with a '10 Compass Sport 4x4 with 29K miles on the clock. I have been completely pleased with the vehicle (once I got used to how a CVT operated!) It's a good balance for me between fuel economy and the convenience of 4WD. The only gripe that I can come up with is that the stock alloys pick up way too much ice and go out of balance frequently, but there are some steel rims in its future for winter!
post #27 of 29 Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 PM

I've got over 14000 miles on the Han-kook tires they look like i just put them on. Still riding and handling great.
post #28 of 29 Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Garage
Check this out..... from Popular Mechanics

Some interesting..........

Can Jeep Grow And Keep Its Jeepness? - Popular Mechanics

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #29 of 29 Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojeda View Post
Well they say a Jeep built on a Dodge Dart platform. Wow, what are they smoking there and built maybe on a Fiat line. LOL LOL LOL
wojeda likes this.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in