Buying Concerns - Jeep Compass Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 09-25-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
 
Buying Concerns

So, I am considering buying a Jeep Compass. Today, I test drove, and really enjoyed, a 2011 Latitude with Freedom Drive II. I got really excited about potentially getting my first 4WD vehicle, and found myself hoping for a snowstorm as soon as possible.

I also test drove a Honda CRV and Kia Sorento. The Honda was previously at the top of my list, but it was extremely uncomfortable - to sit in, and to drive. The ride wasn't nearly as smooth or quiet as I expected - for one of the best selling SUVs. This put the Jeep at the top of my list for now, so I have been doing add'l research online. This forum has been a great resource, but there seems to be more negative posts than positive. I wanted to ask a few questions (and make some comments) and appreciate any feedback:

1) Do you think the high volume of negative posts about quality/reliability are simply because people are more likely to post about something going wrong than nothing going wrong? Or should I have serious concerns about buying?

2) Regarding reliability: Edmunds.com shows the JD Power initial quality (overall) as: Tiguan 2.0; Compass 4.0; CRV 5.0; Sorento 3.0 (to name a few). Compass doesn't seem so bad there.

3) The discount is currently $1,500 for the 2011 models. I'm debating getting a 2011 for less money versus a 2012 for more reliability... do we think the 2012 will 'fix' some of the frequent issues with suspension/powertrain? Or should I expect the same from 2012 that the 2011 models have? I know there are not any major changes to the 2012... but I have to think they would work on the most common problems... right?

Thank you! And great forum, btw
jEEEp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Senior Member
 
w4rh4wk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 278
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jEEEp View Post

1) Do you think the high volume of negative posts about quality/reliability are simply because people are more likely to post about something going wrong than nothing going wrong? Or should I have serious concerns about buying?
absolutely people are more likely to write about negative feedback vs people who are satisfied / happy with their product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEEEp View Post
3) The discount is currently $1,500 for the 2011 models. I'm debating getting a 2011 for less money versus a 2012 for more reliability... do we think the 2012 will 'fix' some of the frequent issues with suspension/powertrain? Or should I expect the same from 2012 that the 2011 models have? I know there are not any major changes to the 2012... but I have to think they would work on the most common problems... right?
What issues are you referring too? i know the early 07-08s had a bad tie rod issues that was covered under the warranty... i'm on my 2nd compass and this one has been great too (had to get an automatic for the wife's sake). the 2011s have a better suspension compared to my 08. The 2011 had less body roll, better handling, and road bumps are felt less in the cabin.

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
w4rh4wk is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
1st The Freedom II as good as it sounds is not a true low range (no transfer case) and somewhere I read there is a big hit in gas millage over the regular 4x4/AWD call it what you like. I personally had mine in some very deep snow (both softer and harder crusty up to 2ft)and with good snow tires (see signature) it crawled though with slipping. I would say no the FDII option for that reason. You don't need it.

2nd The millage you'll get will be a lot lower than avertised for some reason. Not just a little bit. My best has only been 30-31MPG CND while avertized is 38-40. Under some load and higher speeds it will drop at least 2 MPG. My Grand Cherokee gets 26MPG Hwy in a much bigger, heavier, vehicle making these not as economical as presented.

3rd With the stalling while turning and other issues you'll see specific to the 2011's on the forum (which is a scary though and exclusive to the 2011). I'd suggest waiting for the 2012's which will be along soon enough and hopefully more refined and debugged.

4rd The CVT manners are not to everyones expectations. Its not as robust a transmission as a typical 5 or 6 speed automatic you might find elseware. I would say be sure. Checkout the Kia 4x4's and Subaru's Forester for example has the best 4x4 design.

5th RENT a Compass with the powertrain you are considering. Pay the money and drive it, city, town and long varying highways. Do millage calculations. I my opinion it will be worth the cost and you'll have a much better idea than the short demo drives you get.

Yes, it does appear that reliability is improving with each year but there are questionable areas. My build and most Compass have a TIPM which are quite costly and controls everything power related pretty well. I am on the 4th TIPM all warrantied so far.

I took a test drive up the highway through town and test accellerating etc and did not find it better than what I have. It was the standard 4x4 not FDII.

Good luck on you decision. Lost of info as you've seen on the site.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 09-25-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typos
tripplec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
BeDevil79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 308
 
Garage
Hi jEEEp,

I went from a 2009 4x4 Patriot to a 2011 4x4 Compass and felt the build quality and drivability were much better. I had FDI on both and have had no problems in Montreal snow. You only need FDII if you plan to go off-road often?

So far (touch wood, fingers crossed), I haven't had any problems with stalling or the tipping start. I am disappointed with the MPG though, getting 25.4 max on a road trip - I would expect that from a V6

I stuck with Jeep mainly because of the price and because it was easier to get repeat credit (I'm not yet a Quebec resident being from the UK) but ideally I wanted a 2011 Ford Edge - the interior is so much more advanced and technological.

I'd also recommend Mitsubishi Outlander or Outlander Sport/RVR, or a Chevrolet Equinox at a push (2011 onwards).

I do like the Compass though and if you do I think you should go with the 2012, because if you get a 2011 this late in the year it will depreciate much quicker than a 2012 as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Good luck with your decision!


______________________________________
2011 Jeep Compass North 4x4 Cherry Red
Options: OWL tires, Sun & Sound, North All-Season
Extras: Magellan GPS, Hidden Hitch Class II, iPAD 2
Traded for '13 Ford Edge



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

______________________________________

Last edited by BeDevil79; 09-25-2011 at 03:42 PM.
BeDevil79 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
 
Thanks for the replies.

Good points on the FDII, I probably won't be off-roading much (or ever, according to my wife), so it probably isn't worth the loss of gas mileage.

I found out today that I qualify for a supplier discount through my work. I was quoted $21,890 for an MSRP $24,980 Latitude model (this one without FDII, but with a couple of smaller packages).

I may wait another few weeks to make a final decision. I can spend the time test driving other vehicles. Also, knowing that I get a supplier discount, I could just wait for a 2012 vehicle and assume the quality can only get better. I don't think the supplier discount will be as good as what they are offering on the 2011 right now, but it's better than nothing.
jEEEp is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4
 
Speaking of waiting for the 2012 - it seems like they will be released soon. 2 dealerships have told me that they 2011 models have stopped shipping.

Any insight as to the official 2012 release date? I searched this forum and googled it, but didn't find a definitive answer.
jEEEp is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Senior Member
 
w4rh4wk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 278
 
someone from Mexico city got a 2012
http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...p-compass.html

Last year the 2011 compass came out in the late fall in my area.

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
w4rh4wk is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 12
 
I purchased a 2011 Jeep Compass Sport 4X4 a couple of weeks ago. Quiet, Comfortable, Good on fuel, Great on the hwy, enough cargo space for my cottage runs. I have a steep hill getting into the cottage, and this jeep handles the hill perfect. The suspension is at the right height to clear a couple of big rocks. I haven't run into any stalling, or tip start problems. Very happy with this little 4X4. I test drove all the models that you mentioned, and they didn't come close, to the comfort and ride of the JEEP COMPASS.

2011 JEEP Compass Sport 4X4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JCS4X4 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS4X4 View Post
I purchased a 2011 Jeep Compass Sport 4X4 a couple of weeks ago. Quiet, Comfortable, Good on fuel, Great on the hwy, enough cargo space for my cottage runs. I have a steep hill getting into the cottage, and this jeep handles the hill perfect. The suspension is at the right height to clear a couple of big rocks. I haven't run into any stalling, or tip start problems. Very happy with this little 4X4. I test drove all the models that you mentioned, and they didn't come close, to the comfort and ride of the JEEP COMPASS.
Is your a NORTH EDITION ?

I am wondering if the stalling etc is on the American builds which may have a different configuration due to emission or regional builds.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 09-27-2011 at 05:32 PM.
tripplec is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 26
 
Hey Jeeep,

I too was a first time buyer and actually my first time buying a vehicle: ended up choosing the 2011 Jeep Compass and never regretted it.

My list of choices were: Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forrester and Jeep Compass. All of them the 2011 model. I wanted an SUV since my fiance studies in the States and I'm here in Toronto...so lots of road trips. I'll admit, I was a bit concerned, like yourself, with all the negative comments...but after a test drive and researching more...I ultimately went for the 2011 Limited Jeep Compass. Probably a bit more beefier than I need, but I read somewhere that the Limited edition had better quality or something...so what the heck. Maybe I got dupped, but I can vouch for the quality of the car. I don't think anyone has abused their car as much as I have...going over 16500 km in just 4 months...through highway speeds of sometimes 120 to 140km (depending if cops are around)...and up and down the steep hills of Pittsburgh. Through it all, the Compass has served me reliably and very well. I've been through some really heavy rain and fog along my drive down south...and been able to retain speeds of 120 with full traction on my wheels. It's satisfying to see other SUVs slow down and move behind my Compass and using my tail lights as a guide in those weathers. The standard fog lights is also a life saver.

I do however, take good care of my Compass...changing the oil, lube and filter every 5000 km (as opposed to the manual stated 8000 km)...but as anyone will tell you,"Treat the car well and it'll serve you well."

So far, I have nothing but praise for this little SUV. It's beautiful, reliable, sporty (yes, it handles turns really nicely) and powerful....exactly like a little baby grand.

As for the 2012...unfortunately...from what I understand...the 2012 is exactly the same as the 2011. the 2011 model is the last one they'll make for the compass...before the line is discontinued...but man...did they go all out and let the series go in bang or what?! Best purchase I've ever made.

_______________________________
2011 Jeep Compass Limited Edition
Bright White
4x4 CVT w/ Off-Road Crawl
Freedom Drive II
Media Center 430N Navigation
Sun and Sound Group
Security Group
Leather Trimmed Seats
Lenardz33 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
tripplec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belleville, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,897
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenardz33 View Post
Hey Jeeep,

I too was a first time buyer and actually my first time buying a vehicle: ended up choosing the 2011 Jeep Compass and never regretted it.

My list of choices were: Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forrester and Jeep Compass. All of them the 2011 model. I wanted an SUV since my fiance studies in the States and I'm here in Toronto...so lots of road trips. I'll admit, I was a bit concerned, like yourself, with all the negative comments...but after a test drive and researching more...I ultimately went for the 2011 Limited Jeep Compass. Probably a bit more beefier than I need, but I read somewhere that the Limited edition had better quality or something...so what the heck. Maybe I got dupped, but I can vouch for the quality of the car. I don't think anyone has abused their car as much as I have...going over 16500 km in just 4 months...through highway speeds of sometimes 120 to 140km (depending if cops are around)...and up and down the steep hills of Pittsburgh. Through it all, the Compass has served me reliably and very well. I've been through some really heavy rain and fog along my drive down south...and been able to retain speeds of 120 with full traction on my wheels. It's satisfying to see other SUVs slow down and move behind my Compass and using my tail lights as a guide in those weathers. The standard fog lights is also a life saver.

I do however, take good care of my Compass...changing the oil, lube and filter every 5000 km (as opposed to the manual stated 8000 km)...but as anyone will tell you,"Treat the car well and it'll serve you well."

So far, I have nothing but praise for this little SUV. It's beautiful, reliable, sporty (yes, it handles turns really nicely) and powerful....exactly like a little baby grand.

As for the 2012...unfortunately...from what I understand...the 2012 is exactly the same as the 2011. the 2011 model is the last one they'll make for the compass...before the line is discontinued...but man...did they go all out and let the series go in bang or what?! Best purchase I've ever made.
It good to hear all is well and enjoying you new vehicle. There is nothing quite like a new vehicle and at the price we pay we have certain expectations and rightfully so. I am sure the build quality should improve each year (what I thought in my 09) but not as fast as it should have. I have gone through a Plethora of parts. Fortunately all under warranty. The new issues appearing on the 2011 would have given me cause for concern but I did not see a Canadian version with those stall, quiting issues. Maybe they've been resolved or its related to a part from a certain jobber.

Anyway enjoy and you're right on track with you oil changes in my opinion. I am doing the same interveral and not waiting for the alert. Use a good oil filter such as Wix or Napa Gold which are the same. There are other good filters but. Changing the fluids is the cheapest maintance anyone can do. In the long run you gain nothing.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tripplec is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome