master light switch done!! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
master light switch done!!

I did the Charger master light switch mod tonite @ work (nice thing aboout working 3rd shift). Was one of the simplest mods I hav every done. I hav talked to someone at work that has a Caliber and he presses the wrong window all the time and was thinking of doin it too (modding can be contagious).
I feel it is a worthwhile mod, just something to make life easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0002.jpg (34.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0003.jpg (28.9 KB, 74 views)

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)

Last edited by ronjr8102; 11-29-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr8102 View Post
I did the Charger master light switch mod tonite @ work (nice thing aboout working 3rd shift). Was one of the simplest mods I hav every done. I hav talked to someone at work that has a Caliber and he presses the wrong window all the time and was thinking of doin it too (modding can be contagious).
I feel it is a worthwhile mod, just something to make life easier.
That looks like the stock Calibre switch assemble. I looked into that solution a while back and should have been on the Compass. I thought my switch was defective with only the one LED lit on, but no by design real dumb. You have to fumble in the dark.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
tripplec-the company saved money by not including lights on the calibers & compass. If u think about it as a couple of cents per switch over the whole production it equals a lot of dollars. The one on the left is stock and right is the charger switch. I like it and no more fumbling at nite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr8102 View Post
tripplec-the company saved money by not including lights on the calibers & compass. If u think about it as a couple of cents per switch over the whole production it equals a lot of dollars. The one on the left is stock and right is the charger switch. I like it and no more fumbling at nite.
That is the biggest crock I've heard.

They could strip the care down washers, light bults, spare tires as to save money but would you buy it with parts missing as in this case the LED windows are in the switches just no LED's in behind them and these swich assemblies are used in more on one vehicle so having different assembly lines to build them and stock two parts in inventory saves money.

No wonder the front ends are falling apart overnight. They didn't put grease in the sealed tie rods or ball joint so you just replace them every 30k and tires twice as offten because of uneven wear due to the cheap front end.

In reality this is NOT a JEEP. Its a Fiat car they put the name on and contains veritually all the same parts as the Calibre and Patriot as well as a few other models sharing the same front end components and power train. The body and Label is superfiscial.

So far I've had to replace most of the power train and enough electronics
- all 4 spring/struts, that front and back
- 3 TIPIM's
- front output shaft with CV joint
- CVT transmission
- Gas tank
- dash or instrument cluster 3 times

Many other repairs. Fortunately all under warranty. Why cheaply made, poor quality and durability is Zero. So a couple of LED's offsets this expense to them. I don't think so. It's far cheaper for them to build it right and not cut back where its important and where its obvious. Maybe your next car won't have its dash back lit, only the speedometer, thats all you need and they saved money no putting in all the extra back lighting and in your stereo since you shouldn't fiddle with it at night anyway. Focus on driving so those lights save them money.

OMG I doubt anyone buys into that ancient agruement. Not really one since its cut and dry.

I keep on top of it and if it sneezes the wrong way I pickup on it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-18-2011, 04:14 AM

Garage
Noticed the other night that all the lights work on this part in my 2011, maybe an improvement of the 2011/12 model

Tripplec, your 09 Compass wasn't a Fiat vehicle yet; they didn't even start buying in until 2009, but the design and manufacturing influence is on the 2011 model onwards, and is a bug step forward. Fiat are the reason the Grand Cherokee is the best car Jeep have ever built, definitely not the reason your suspension is sub-par!

Out of interest, why don't you swap out of your Compass? It sounds like you've obviously had a lot of trouble with it compared to your Cherokee, maybe you were unlucky and got a lemon? (No offense meant, just curious)

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

Last edited by BeDevil79; 12-18-2011 at 04:18 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ron,

Do you have the part number on the new light deck ?

Plus how much work was it to remove the door panel ??

Did you do this on both side ?

Thank you.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #7 of 7 Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feel for life - I don't have the number in front of me. Follow this link to read the post I first found about this mod. It's from a Caliber SRT4 forum (same platform and door). HOW-TO: Illuminated Window Switches - Dodge Caliber SRT-4 Forums
I only did the drivers door for now. I like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in