Deer Guard - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Deer Guard

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I recently purchased a Compass Latitude 2011 a month ago, so literally it is brand new (43 miles on it when I bought it). I have a pic of it on my profile. Now to my question. I was curious if anyone knew of a Deer Guard that can be installed onto my Compass. Due to the area I live in there is a running count of deer that are hit on the highway each year, so I am thinking it is only a matter of time before my wonderful new Jeep gets a battle scar (or two).

I tried to look thru the forums but all I could find is talk of bull guards and then the conversation deviates. I couldn't find anything on the Westin website either. Please let me know if this is something I can order or have to have a custom fab job done.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, if there are guards that matches the bolt pattern on the frame. For instance if a Dodge Durango or Jeep Patriot fits.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

What you 're looking for is a Push bar, brush guard........google them and you'll find what you're looking for.

Good luck.

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 AM

Garage
or also called a bull bar. but to my knowledge, nothing is made for the newer body style compass. the front is very different from the patriot, so while the mounting holes would fit, i can't promise that the rest would clear. heck, the compass even has two different front ends now, making it hard to get these aftermarket parts to fit.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am not so much a fan of the Bull Guard/Push Bar look, looks like a Pug with a massive underbite.

I was thinking more a long the lines of something that could protect my lights, grill, front bumper, etc.

But the sad news from IRSmart is striking the logic in me, that there probably isn't a huge market for Compass drivers and exoskeletons. Browsing around I did come across a hot looking slightly more form than function brush guard on 4xGUARD website:

post #6 of 15 Old 12-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallel45 View Post
post #7 of 15 Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Touche sir.
I just think the bullguard or even that cool looking grill guard-ish by 4xguard still wouldnt hold up to a deer. My fiance has a Tacoma with a grill guard like the Toyota FJ image. I watched first hand as a deer hit it at 30 mph (I'm guessing it was that speed cause we braked hard from 50 mph when we saw it) and all it it did was push the guard against the front headlamp/fender area and break the bug deflector.
With a bullguard you'd have smashed hood, bumper, fender...not to mention headlamp...
Maybe this is something I should start looking around for a metal fabricator.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Wow, that bull bar looks sweet! I think a brush guard is more what you're looking for and some of the custom ones I've seen people make are pretty cool!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 15 Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 PM

Garage
bull bar

search nudge bar on ebay and you will find what your looking for
post #10 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 02:42 PM

I doubt you'll find anything other than a light bar equivalent. I got one (Weston I believe) on my big Jeep. The tube is very thin and offers a bit of a buffer but would fold back if I did nudge something too hard. Also you'd have to have very go anchor points for strength and pretty much have to also go through the grill to something such as the channel under the hood front.

Hitting a deer causes significant damage to even a very robust SUV. Our front is mostly plastic. The Aussie's have some HD bars on their rigs because of fast moving Kangaroo's LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #11 of 15 Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well as I imagined the day has come. This morning on my way to work, I tagged a deer with my Jeep. I couldn't have been going more than 10 mph at impact but it was enough to dent the hood, put a large crack in the paint where it's dented as well as numerous cracks in the front bumper.
I think I am going to trade it back in for something that can "support" a deer guard.

2011 Jeep Compass Latitude 4X4
post #12 of 15 Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 PM

I doubt the 2011 is too much different other than style in construction. The hood on mine is quite heavy, but its the only metal up front. The bumper, fender fronts is all plastic. It will crumble at the slightest pressure. A bull bar on the front would do very little if you had once since only the center get some protection from the bars. The corners are 100% vulnerable and Jeep in there wisdom put some expensive stuff behind them corner sections to be sure the repair will be very expensive.

You really need some sort of truck class SUV that has a steel bumper and add a heavy duty bar in front of it to handle even a minor clipping of a deer. Good Luck.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 15 Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 AM

Garage
bull bar

i installed a nudge bar today on my 2008 compass. it looks good(sorry no pics yet) but its just cosmetic. 2 u bolts around the crossmember holds the brackets that the bar bolts to. everything is tight but it is not solid enough for deer. i will prob. mount lights to it but other than that its not strong enough. not sure whats available for the newer models but im guessing the chassis is the same.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM

JEEPY

Not seeing it size make it difficult. But many such bars even when bumped just fold over and cause a lot of damage going into the grill higher up and into the coils. Whereas the bumper will flex in and out and usually pop back being vinyl of some sort.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #15 of 15 Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Garage
I have a bull bar on my 2011 compass. Check it out on my profile. I also drilled holes into it for my KC daylighters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in