My Jeep Compass Forum banner

custom 2011 intake

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  IRSmart 
#1 ·
OK so I could`nt wait any longer on waiting on an intake to come out for 2011 so I kind of made my own. I cut the front open and the side to open up the air box. It made a world of difference. The compass idles a lot better and pulls stronger Especially above about 3500 RPM. I just ordered the KN filter and when I get it in I will put redo some of where I cut up the box. I will clean it up and maybe paint it to make it look better. I pulled the IAT sensor to clean it and the dam clip that holds it in place broke on me that is why there is a zip tie with electrical tape around it to hold it in place.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
so, let me get this straight. instead of sucking in cold air from the grille like the factory setup does, you thought it would be a good idea to let the engine breathe hot air from under the hood?

i would have thrown in the K&N filter and called it a day. and i guarantee any "pulling" you're feeling is all in your head. the butt-dyno is not very accurate. a true, effective CAI nets maybe 2-6 hp on cars at this level of displacement. and once the car "learns" the new mod you've done, performance will be worse than before.

but as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

#3 · (Edited)
It is a lot better than sucking air through that ridiculous air snorkel and choking the engine. It mite be a few degrees warmer at best I will take that any day over that intake piece that measures a 1x4 which is way to small. Cold air does`nt do much good if it intake chokes the motor. Look at the KN intake for the 07-10 they dynoed almost 8 HP and it is not a true cold air intake. I honestly did`nt expect to much from opening it up like that. I do agree with you cold air is way better but don`t know if anyone will ever make a cold air intake.

#4 ·
Good luck. The 2011+ compass's are very sensitive to these changes and I would not be surprised if you have a check engine light on very soon (or the lightning bolt light). In terms of power, you did absolutely nothing because everything is computer controlled. So, the engine just changed air/fuel ratio based on the extra hot air you're now putting in the engine.

My suggestion and what I did was purchased a new high flow air filter (K&N or AEM). Then I called a friend at the dealership and he used a computer to update the PCM to let the engine/computer know that I have more air coming into the engine. Thus giving me more power, safely and effectively.

#5 ·
So it is pointless for anyone to change the exhaust or change to a KN filter then if the computer controls the power then? I hope someone comes out with a decent chip some day for these vehicles. I don`t expect this thing to be a performance vehicle by any means but I know it does run better with the mods I have done.

#13 · (Edited)
hey liggettj you have a part number on that header?[/QUOTE

header fit only on 2x4.

Mopar OEM Tubular Exhaust Header 07-Up Caliber, Compass/Patriot
$359.95
Bolt on this CAD designed and dyno tested Mopar Performance tubular exhaust header to feel and hear the difference. Manufactured with heavy gauge powder coated tubing, this performance header features true mandrel bends and CNC machined flanges for a factory-like fit.
When installed with the Mopar Cat-Back Exhaust System (MP5153564) and Mopar Cold Air Intake System (MP5153572) the system yields an over 10 hp gain (measured at front wheels).

1) Fits Front Wheel Drive (FWD) Models only. Not for use with All Wheel Drive (AWD).2).

And heres a picture of the DC header for the Caliber
http://www.howellautomotive.com/ProductImages/DHC7612.jpg

Heres a picture of the Mopar Header
http://www.leeparts.com/graphics/CalHeader2_hc.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.