What modifications have you done to your engine? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

What modifications have you done to your engine?

Just wondering what you guys have done, because maybe i can get some idea's Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

None for me and none expected in a near future except the beautiful paint job I did over the summer................

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Garage
If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Wouldn't touch it . . . find it practically perfect in every way.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM

K&N air filter, and a custom exhaust system, toss in a tower strut .....would be the basic changes.

Question for ya Compassed what do you think of Melbourne? I've been thinking of moving (for political reasons)

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 10-19-2009 at 03:43 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassLimited View Post
K&N air filter, and a custom exhaust system, toss in a tower strut .....would be the basic changes.

Question for ya Compassed what do you think of Melbourne? I've been thinking of moving (for political reasons)
Its a great place, wouldnt go anywhere else.
I live in a really great suburb and i love it!
post #6 of 19 Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM

Garage
I've done a K&N CAI, custom exhaust. I'm thinking of doing the paint job that FFL did. I looked at a turbo install to make it an SRT4 but some parts aren't strong enough (in my opinion) to survive very long through that.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #7 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
I've done a K&N CAI, custom exhaust. I'm thinking of doing the paint job that FFL did. I looked at a turbo install to make it an SRT4 but some parts aren't strong enough (in my opinion) to survive very long through that.
Would you consider an engine swap
post #8 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 04:47 AM

Garage
Yeah, already thought of that one too. I'm still warranty on mine so it's out for now though. I thought a nice 3.7L with a Selec-Trac would make a nice swap. There's other considerations too though, the rear IRS might have to be swapped and the driveshaft would probably have to be changed too. It's all speculative at this point, but I've seen a guy put a frame under his unibody Cherokee so anything is possible. (In case you're wondering I base my parts off of the 2007 Jeep Liberty which is only 7mm wider than the compass making the swap more realistic. It also has a 6 speed, and I think all manual drivers agree that once you have five speeds you just want another gear.)

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness

Last edited by smokey01; 10-21-2009 at 05:15 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I looked at a turbo install to make it an SRT4 but some parts aren't strong enough (in my opinion) to survive very long through that.
They aren't. There's a guy over here in Germany that took the Cali RT's 4wd compnents and added them to his SRT4... Needless to say they didn't last long. He did 3 strong launches from a dig.... transfer case was shot and there was so much power going through it, that it twisted/sheared the heads of the rear halfshafts....

The worst part (at least for him) is that because was he did messed with the regualr tranny and drive components in the front end - the warranty didn't cover it....

He still claims that it was worth it for the "worlds first AWDCali"
post #10 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, already thought of that one too. I'm still warranty on mine so it's out for now though. I thought a nice 3.7L with a Selec-Trac would make a nice swap. There's other considerations too though, the rear IRS might have to be swapped and the driveshaft would probably have to be changed too. It's all speculative at this point, but I've seen a guy put a frame under his unibody Cherokee so anything is possible. (In case you're wondering I base my parts off of the 2007 Jeep Liberty which is only 7mm wider than the compass making the swap more realistic. It also has a 6 speed, and I think all manual drivers agree that once you have five speeds you just want another gear.)
Would you have an idea about what type of engines would fit, maybe a V8
post #11 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Garage
Well the 3.7 powertech is just the 4.7 powertech without 2 cylinders. It might fit but there might not be room for a radiator when it's in. The other consideration is weight, once you start doing that you might overload the unibody and you'll definately have to beef up the front end. Being a unibody it's not like you can just weld another mount to the frame and be on your way. The curb weight of the compass is the lowest of all the jeeps so once you stick the big engine in there you're going to end up with weight distribution problems with the back end. If it can be figured out and the 4.7 would fit, I reccomend the 4.7 maginum because if you're going through all that pain and suffering you may as well have the extra ponies.

post #12 of 19 Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help i guess you are right, one more thing my compass is on 27,051km is it time for an oil change

Last edited by Compassed; 10-21-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: 'ore' was supposed to be 'more'
post #13 of 19 Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Garage
I do an oil change every 5,000 but I do dirt roads, mud and a fair amount of city driving so I like to keep contaminants out as much as possible. As far as what you use it's really up to you. I've used synthetics, conventional and semi-synthetic. Right now I use a semi-synthetic due to cost. I just looked at my odometer and I'm at 17,600KM (10936Miles) and still have exactly 1 month to go before I reach the 1 year mark.

Last edited by smokey01; 10-22-2009 at 12:22 AM.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

I dont really drive my compass alot, since i got a company car ( i like to keep the compass like new). ive had it for 2 years and bought it as a demo model (11,00km on it) and only recently did i start driving it more, but i just get the feeling that i should give it in for servicing. What do you think
post #15 of 19 Old 10-22-2009, 04:04 AM

Garage
I would stick with the oil change schedule in the owners manual. I believe it's every 7000KM or 6 months which ever comes first. I believe the reason for the maintenance every 6 months is to get rid of water in the oil. I might be wrong though so if I am someone correct me.

post #16 of 19 Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

yeah i think thats the best idea, just gotta get some cash on my hands
post #17 of 19 Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Well the 3.7 powertech is just the 4.7 powertech without 2 cylinders. It might fit but there might not be room for a radiator when it's in. The other consideration is weight, once you start doing that you might overload the unibody and you'll definately have to beef up the front end. Being a unibody it's not like you can just weld another mount to the frame and be on your way. The curb weight of the compass is the lowest of all the jeeps so once you stick the big engine in there you're going to end up with weight distribution problems with the back end. If it can be figured out and the 4.7 would fit, I reccomend the 4.7 maginum because if you're going through all that pain and suffering you may as well have the extra ponies.
Smokey do you even think it is worth all the pain to even do the 3.7 engine swap? or the money for the matter? It seems like it just seems more practical to buy a second project car and keep the compass as your daily driver.

2008 Jeep Compass Sport
post #18 of 19 Old 08-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Garage
if any engine should be considered for a swap it would be the SRT-4 caliber powerplant. Same engine just with a turbo and everything to make it run safe on boost. and its the same platform as the caliber. not that anyone will ever attempt an engine swap lol

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #19 of 19 Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Garage
I'd have to get some measurements for both engines but I think there would be so much extra work it might not be worth it. I don't think the transmission and drive train would be able to handle that much extra power either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in