Grille Dress Up Treatment - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Grille Dress Up Treatment

I just figured out by accident that you could use the common chrome door edge moulding as a dress up for the Compass grille. You just buy about 5 packs of the chrome door edge moulding sold at Wal-Mart for $3.49 a pack of 2 and cut them to the 9.5" length x 21 pieces, push them on the black vanes and VOILA! They come 2-24" pieces to a pack so my math shows that 5 packs will do the 21 vanes. So you could say that it can be done for around $20! I am going to get mine tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Sounds sweet! Pics or it didn't happen, lol!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Gimmie a break my Cajindian friend! It's only 6AM and I just got up! I gotta go bring my neighbors to the Armstrong airport for 8AM then it's double back to Wal-Mart and the chrome strips! Latent images later on today (if they have 5 packs of strips on the shelf). If not I will go to another WM and get the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, here's the skinny on installing "Unkle Rem's Grille Mod"!

When you get the door moulding make sure you get all the same model #. Then you will need a few tools and about an hours time. I re-measured the length of the stock grille vanes and came up with 9-5/8". You can eye it up yourself and use your own discretion as to length. The total cost of this mod (if you use the Wal-Mart door edge) came to $16.79.

Here's the images:
#1-Before URGM
#2-Necessary Tools
#3-Push on (hint: let it sit in the Sun a while to warm the grill and moulding)
#4-After URGM.

Last edited by Skyeye; 01-25-2010 at 09:12 PM.
post #5 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Na ain't dat pretty!
post #6 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM

That's pretty impressive. You want to sell the idea on ebay and send the kit out at $50 a pop. Well done.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice mod.........well documented too.........thank's a lot....this thing is really too clean !!!!! Should see ours up here !!!!! One day soon spring will be among us !!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
Gimmie a break my Cajindian friend! It's only 6AM and I just got up! I gotta go bring my neighbors to the Armstrong airport for 8AM then it's double back to Wal-Mart and the chrome strips! Latent images later on today (if they have 5 packs of strips on the shelf). If not I will go to another WM and get the rest.
Hehehe, I just love mods, ok and mods with pics

Skyeye, gotta' hand it to ya' there man, that looks AWESOME!!! Very creative (now why didn't I think of that?) and a whole lot cheaper than inserts and such. I was considering a chrome grille/bumpers for my truck, but I've seen some that are body color, which I like better, (the grille I have now is black with the same veins, only crosshair style) and with your mod, especially since my truck is silver, that would look fantastic! Very nice mod, kudos to ya' for that, and thanks for a great idea!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #9 of 34 Old 01-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Veeery nicely done! As soon as the weather warms it'll be a cool addition.

Compass: A device used to determine geographic direction.
Jeep Compass: A device used to determine what to plow through on your way.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM

I did that last summer and they still look like the day they were put on. Didn't realized it was such an unknown mod.
PS I did get the idea from ebay as they were selling the kits for 30 bucks after shipping.
post #11 of 34 Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 AM

Amazing! I read this thread about an hour ago. After reading I went to WalMart and got 6 packs of the chrome trim. Cut them to 9 and 5/8 inch and put them on my dash to soften under the sun. They went on very easy and I am shocked at how great it looks! Thanks for the awesome idea!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_02691.jpg (99.5 KB, 54 views)
post #12 of 34 Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
U R Velcom! We are here to serve man!
post #13 of 34 Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Nice job OffTheWoll!!! Looks fantastic!!!

- Cherokee

post #14 of 34 Old 05-17-2010, 05:27 AM

This might be a stupid question .. but here goes. Is there a film over the chrome trim when you buy it that you are suppose to peel off before placing? I noticed on mine that there is a loose layer of film around the trim .... should I cut it off? It's a little hard to grab to just pull off.

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.

Last edited by OffTheWoll; 05-17-2010 at 05:36 AM.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

The only stupid questions are the ones not asked, and unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to attack this particular mod, so I don't know but I wouldn't think so.....Sky would know. Only question I have 'cause I know I'm obsessive about not having bugs on my grille, so Sky, how tough is it to keep yours clean with all these LA bugs???

- Cherokee

post #16 of 34 Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some vinyl chrome parts have protective films. If you purchased the ones from Wal-Mart they do not have the film. Sometimes if you don't make a clean cut on these you will raise the clear Milar coating they put over the chrome. This is not supposed to be removed.
post #17 of 34 Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Well I did get the ones at WalMart and every damn one of them looks like it has a film on it that wants to be taken off. Ill try to get a close up picture of this and post it so you know what I'm going through here. It's kind of annoying and doesn't look right up close.

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.
post #18 of 34 Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I tried to peel a film off a leftover piece of the material from my own job. There was no film and the chrome Mylar came off and exposed a whitish black plastic. Maybe all the Wal-Mart stores don't use the same manufacturer?
post #19 of 34 Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Ok well I got a picture. I didn't notice the film until after it rained for about 2 weeks strait here. The pic looks like it is just dirty but it's actually the film making it look like that. I don't know if I should try to peel it off or what. If you stand more than 5 feet away you can't even notice it. Just frustrates me :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damnfilm.jpg (89.4 KB, 42 views)

post #20 of 34 Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Woll, do like I did and try to peel it off a leftover piece. Let us know what you were able to do.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 AM

Well that's a problem! The piece that I have left over looks perfect and doesn't have any loose film. I will try to take it off one of the pieces on the Jeep and if it changes anything I can replace it with the extra piece I have ...... yeah. So i'll reply when I figure it all out.

post #22 of 34 Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Garage
My advice is to peel it off, as in a few months you'll find that the film will get weather beaten and will look tattered and manky, and will become difficult to remove. Do it now and they will all look nice and even.
(sorry for the Irish expressions)

Raff.
post #23 of 34 Old 05-18-2010, 03:46 PM

That souds right raff. Mine got "tattered and manky" after a two week rain storm we had ... I just want to make sure that taking off the film won't damage the goods in any way.

post #24 of 34 Old 05-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Garage
I did mine about a week ago with some edging i found online. No film that I've noticed. I reckon if it looks like its meant to come off just rip it off I haven't had a chance to wash the car yet (dust+rain=), so they could still look a lot shinier heh heh...

Here's a pic we took in the mountains near where we live... Looks sweet IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep2.jpg (51.7 KB, 59 views)

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #25 of 34 Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice area.......did you pick up a hitchicker ??

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #26 of 34 Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Garage
God, he's a tall lad !!!
post #27 of 34 Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 AM

Garage
FFL, well we saw this mountain kid and thought may as well take him home... Raff he is tall for 6, but he's also standing on the center console lol..

Focus on the grille ppl...the grille!

post #28 of 34 Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Well today I finally recieved the slushee floormats and cargo nets from autotrucktoys.com. Love them both and then decided to wash the beast. Tackled one of the trim pieces and the film is a pain in the a$$ to take off but doesn't change the appearance. So I will take the rest off sometime in the future. Oh and liking the grille and "mountain kid" mods lochinprc. Wish I had a sun roof

post #29 of 34 Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochinprc View Post
FFL, well we saw this mountain kid and thought may as well take him home... Raff he is tall for 6, but he's also standing on the center console lol..

Focus on the grille ppl...the grille!
I AM focusing on the grille, lol, and I think it looks amazing! Where did you find the chrome grille surround, that is a very nice accent! Now, I can say, cute little fella you have riding with you!

- Cherokee

post #30 of 34 Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 AM

Garage
Hey Cherokee, you can find the grill piece on ebay I think. I got mine locally (China) but I'm pretty sure I've seen them on ebay motors. I'm really happy with the overall effect. Gotta say a big thanks to this forum for the chrome edging idea!

here are some pics I took of the mod, just for fun:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0606.jpg (61.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0607.jpg (23.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg jeep.jpg (79.1 KB, 45 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in