Sport Radio Antenna - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 Old 02-04-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sport Radio Antenna

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and they had a really nice looking flexible black rubber replacement antenna for the standard stainless rod that Jeep puts on their cars. It's got a built in coil amplifier and is only 15 inches long. I don't like the stock antenna so I will get one and post a pic after installation. Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 AM

Garage
I'd be interested to know how well it works. Does the station drop out sooner when travelling and such.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #3 of 28 Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Sounds cool, and I've heard from some other people that the reception is just as good with a stubby antenna as the stock one. After these messages (he'll) be right back.....

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the antenna. Comes with many adapters. Found the correct one screwed it in and then screwed on the antenna. No brainer! Picks up stations very well! I got a small FM oldies station 60 miles away with good sound no white noise. I think it works just fine and matches all the black trim on my baby. Good deal for $8 at Wal-Mart.

Before: stock stainless steel rod 32 inches long.

After: Nice low profile with coil amplifier. 14" long.

Last edited by Skyeye; 02-05-2010 at 11:50 PM.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM

Looks sharp dude. Nice find!

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #6 of 28 Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator

That does look very nice. You know my thought on mods? We're only doing what the factory should have done to begin with, as well as adding a little personal style! Perhaps it's just me and I didn't notice before, but you always had the pin stripe? That looks great as well!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #7 of 28 Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Che, I would imagine the pin stripe was added by the dealer when originally sold new here in town. Dealers are known to do little things like that to make the cars more appealing. This particular car was a trade-in. You are right about the mod thing. Most of the mass produced items are lacking in what American buyers call "accessories". So most people accessorize their purchaces to thier own taste and satisfactions. It's like that for vertually every product. I know a guy that accessorized his lawnmower!
post #8 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Must've been a cool mower haha, but yeah I think the pinstripe looks great, just never seen it on a Compass, nice little touch of style! Getting ready to do a couple appearance mods on the interior of my truck just as soon as I get all the materials together....

- Cherokee

Last edited by Cherokee; 02-07-2010 at 03:32 AM.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Garage
Mine came from the dealer with one on it also. I was going to peel it off but the more I looked at it the better I liked it. It broke the red up a litte. My only concern will be the tape stripe has a tendency to dry up and crack after a peroid of years and being that it it on a fairly level part of the Car it was be exposed to a lot of sunlight. I'm not sure if you can see it in any of my pics.

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...php?albumid=34

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

post #10 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Those stripes are easy to re-apply. Pep Boys has a complete line of all kinds of stripes. You are certainly right, they do make the car elegant. I have had them on most of the cars I owned.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPASSDL View Post
Mine came from the dealer with one on it also. I was going to peel it off but the more I looked at it the better I liked it. It broke the red up a litte. My only concern will be the tape stripe has a tendency to dry up and crack after a peroid of years and being that it it on a fairly level part of the Car it was be exposed to a lot of sunlight. I'm not sure if you can see it in any of my pics.

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...php?albumid=34
Nice COMPASSDL, my eyes must really be getting bad, I didn't notice it on yours, but I agree, looks good. I have the striping on my Cherokee and yes, over time it does peel and crack but like Skyeye said, most auto parts stores carry the striping tape and it's pretty easy to do.

- Cherokee

post #12 of 28 Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Hi Skyeye,
Can you tell me the name of the Atenna you bought. I tried to read the package in the photo and could only see the Quick and Easy.
Thanks
post #13 of 28 Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Has anyone dealt with Antenna X? What can you tell me about them? They are on Ebay and seem to have an interesting 13" black antenna.
post #14 of 28 Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't remember the brand name of mine and I threw away the blister.

Most of these "shorty" antennas are manufactured in the Big Chin so any one will do pretty good. They are all based on the same principle and that is taking the long rod and adding a loading coil to make it resonate like it was still a long piece of wire. They all work just fine.
post #15 of 28 Old 05-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Hi Skyeye,

Thanks for the reply

Ironwoodca
post #16 of 28 Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Garage
Similar story i was in Canadian tire and found this little stubby guy

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #17 of 28 Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Well SkyEye has a shorted antenna but electrically compensated with a coil and if I read correctly amplified so normal effect of not using the correct length is compensated adn the radio does not complain. You can't just through any stubby on its wavelength is all wrong for the FM band. AM will be affected more but most of us will be critical if our FM is poor. Marginal stations may auto switch to MONO or generate noisey receptions or be unusable. I would be interested in looking at the one SkyEye has.

Was it difficult to remove and install this one. Did you have to fish a new lead in through the fender as well?

I just finished searching for antenna on the Websites in US and Canada. But no luck in locating it online.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by tripplec; 06-01-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Search Walmart Websites, US & Canada
post #18 of 28 Old 06-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Garage
well the first thing i did once it was installed was check all my preset am and fm stations. everything works fine all fm comes in stereo, theres no static or fuzzy sound. and i kept the old one incase any problems do arise.

it is honestly a 2 min install unscrew the old one figure out the correct adapter then screw on the new one

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #19 of 28 Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM

Hi Schecky, Just to let you know, I installed the same Antenna and the only time I noticed a problem was AM in a notorious dip in our road. The local sports station on AM basically vanished but then was fine as soon as I got out of the dip. FM is not affected at all. I too have kept the old antenna in case.
I wish the old one was like the one on the Sebring that I had it was black and about 25".

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #20 of 28 Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
well the first thing i did once it was installed was check all my preset am and fm stations. everything works fine all fm comes in stereo, theres no static or fuzzy sound. and i kept the old one incase any problems do arise.

it is honestly a 2 min install unscrew the old one figure out the correct adapter then screw on the new one
I'll look around here and see if I see one like yours which is likely the best type for performance and looks combined. Sorry but those rubber shorties may work but just a quick swap for people broken antennas and not stellar performance. You need wave length match for this FM band and even with coiling a wire in the length of those rubber antenna its not going to be right. The front end tuner will not match up and will suffer. If your stations are all strong and solid to begin with it my appear ok. Go out of town and your range will be affected.

But good luck anyway.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 28 Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Trip........gor myself the same one from Canadian Tire........and all is ok except some disturbance with some AM reception area..........
Kept the old one in case of......can't find one with the the coil wire in it !!!!!

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #22 of 28 Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Kept the old one in case of......can't find one with the the coil wire in it !!!!!
If I find that antenna here in TO Markham area I'll let you know. The chain should be there in Montreal as well. I'll around next week a bit as time permits.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #23 of 28 Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM

If they have the E2 antenna in Arnprior they will have at almost all the Canadian Tire Stores for $9.99.
As for the signal, I live in the 'woods',15 minutes from Arprior and the signal is still good except for the dip in the road (even a regular antenns can't hold a signal in the dip).

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #24 of 28 Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Hey Skyeye,
any chance you can look at Walmart and see if the antenna you bought is still there and if so what the brand is?

Tony

Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #25 of 28 Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM

they look way better than the stock one.
post #26 of 28 Old 02-20-2011, 05:28 PM

i got the same one as sheky..... got mine from truck outtiers and i noticed u loose a lil closer to home then the stock antenna.... used to be able to go out 150km outta town with stock befor it would cut not i probly only get 100-130 max

07 sport - sun&sound, heated seats, white walled tires...... more to hopfully come soon....
post #27 of 28 Old 03-05-2011, 04:12 PM

i got the same one as shecky and its ok but like a few of you i kept the og anntana just in case
post #28 of 28 Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 AM

Corsets

My only concern will be the tape stripe has a tendency to dry up and crack after a peroid of years and being that it it on a fairly level part of the Car it was be exposed to a lot of sunlight. I'm not sure if you can see it in any of my pics.

Last edited by Feel for life; 03-08-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in