Exhaust mod - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Exhaust mod

I'm about to paint my muffler with high heat paint sometime soon... I have seen this mod and really prefer it to the stock look.

Something I've been thinking about is realigning the exit pipe on the stock muffler so it points down/to the rear, instead of just down. Then I was going to try and get a black tip with a curved attachment welded onto that, to complete the mod. The curve is so that the exhaust tip will be horizontal (or close) and point straight backwards. Would sort of be a black version of the tip on the magnaflow exhaust that some ppl have installed.

I think I read somewhere about someone realigning the exit pipe, but I cant find it now...

Just one for all you auto experts: Will adjusting the exit pipe/attaching a 15-18cm tip affect the functioning of the muffler/exhaust system? Is there anything I should be wary of if I try this mod? What are the chances that the removing and re-welding of the exit pipe will seriously damage the muffler itself?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Well in my opinion, just be careful not to cut into the main chamber of the exhaust and use a low temperature when welding it back on to make sure you don't warp it or make any new holes and you should be fine.

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #3 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Me personally, I love the painted muffler mod, and you're right, looks so much better than stock.

As for re-aligning the exhaust pipe itself, LB has a couple good tips there and I agree, don't cut too close to the muffler, but a decent tig welder at a low temp and presto, it'll be back on in no time. If this is something you're going to do yourself, just be sure that everything is sealed back up when you're done 'cause an exhaust leak sounds like crap, but for just re-routing the pipe, no, thre aren't any long term ill effects from that, so long as you don't leave it too short to where the exhaust can't exit without it being under the vehicle. Have you thought about maybe dumping the exhaust out the side, in front of the rear tire? That would be an interesting look for the Compass, IMO, but sounds like you have a good idea, so be sure and keep us posted, but we're definitely gonna want pics!!!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 04-03-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the advice guys! Cherokee, I'm already wary of not sticking too far out the back as it will lower my exit angle if I go too far. Putting it out the side would mean under the side step (not really a side step) and that would cut down on GC too so probably wont go for that...Plus the kids might get burned when they get out of the car lol! Might be a good look though.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get the muffler removed, drive to the welder's, then drive back to have the whole thing painted. Wonder what thats gonna sound like? lol.. Beefy?

Will definitely be posting pics! Hopefully can do it in the next week or so..
post #5 of 19 Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Well in my opinion, the compass has to be the throatiest 4 banger that I've ever heard. (That didn't a new exhaust) I think it already sounds pretty nice, but a little louder might be nice to help in scaring those little kids who like to walk down the middle of the road... lol

post #6 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

You can always look at mine from last summer......just to give you an idea.....

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #7 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
FFL I saw your mod on this and another forum. There are a few ppl who have done the black mod. I know someone on here has done a silver one, but I prefer the black since my Compass is black too.

The paint just arrived by courier! Can't buy it that easy locally so I ordered from shanghai. Japanese high temp paint, says it can resist up to 600 degrees (celsius), matt black finish. Should do the trick nicely.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochinprc View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! Cherokee, I'm already wary of not sticking too far out the back as it will lower my exit angle if I go too far. Putting it out the side would mean under the side step (not really a side step) and that would cut down on GC too so probably wont go for that...Plus the kids might get burned when they get out of the car lol! Might be a good look though.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get the muffler removed, drive to the welder's, then drive back to have the whole thing painted. Wonder what thats gonna sound like? lol.. Beefy?

Will definitely be posting pics! Hopefully can do it in the next week or so..
Oh, ok, yeah, certainly don't want any kiddos harmed in the making of your mod! Sounds good man, definitely looking forward to updates on this!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #9 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 AM

Garage
Hey, LB, I found that with my aftermarket exhaust it's good at scaring cats that like to walk down the road. Or even if they are on a leash being walked.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #10 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How about high schoolers on push bikes?? That's the real reason I'm doing it!

But seriously I was talking about the drive between garages with no muffler on. Should be a fair bit louder. As far as I know the exhaust tip isnt going to make it louder lol...

This mod is purely for looks, gonna look good with a tip. Never got used to the stock tailpipe.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Garage
well without a muffler the high school kids might think that it sounds cool.

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I've honestly never heard a Compass with the muffler off, but I'm willing to bet it sounds pretty cool, a little throaty even, but yeah, I'm sure the kids will think it's cool. One time, I crossed the wires in my old truck after doing a tune up and everybody (except my ex) thought the backfire sounded cool! Definitely looking forward to hearing how your mod comes out!!!

- Cherokee

post #13 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's done!

Ok...Theres good news and there's bad news... Bad news first!

I found a garage where they could do everything in the one place... so no need to drive around with no muffler lol... Didnt get to hear it, but I can live with that.

Now the good news! The cutting and welding went really well. Adjusted the angle to make it much easier to attach a tip, though we couldnt turn it to almost horizontal cause it was hitting the plastic under the bumper (didnt want to cut a hole in that on my 09 compass heh heh).

Then they took that Japanese high temp paint and one can was just enough to paint the entire exhaust. I know you can't see it under there but it might help with rust etc. At least I know it's black ALL the way under lol.

I'm fully satisfied with the result. Took about 2.5 hours all up. Looks pretty good even without a tip, so I might leave that for a while until I can find just the right one...

Now, just a couple of pics I took with my phone. Gonna take some more with the camera tomorrow maybe.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut muffler.jpg (37.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg blacked out muffler.jpg (41.7 KB, 66 views)
post #14 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 AM

Looks nice dude. Now if I could just get that magnaflow... lol

post #15 of 19 Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Very nice, looks fantastic! Sorry you didn't get to hear it with the muffler off haha, but that's lookin' good my friend!

- Cherokee

Last edited by Cherokee; 08-07-2010 at 08:09 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok so there were developments in the muffler mod. Got a elbow welded on and welded a stainless tip on that. got some phone pics and I also had some sound clips of the compass 2.4L w/out muffler ..u will have to unzip that one.

I found out after i put the tip on that it seemed a little too small (3"). Could have gone 8-10cm diameter no probs I think. Not bad but could be better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssteel tip 1.JPG (27.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg ssteel tip 2.JPG (60.8 KB, 43 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip no muffler3.zip (62.3 KB, 12 views)

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.

Last edited by lochinprc; 08-06-2010 at 08:11 AM.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Garage
Did you get any pics from the back? I think you're right about the tip looking a little small. It looks a little odd but that can be because of only one tip on the back. I think it sounds ok, what do you need a muffler for?

post #18 of 19 Old 08-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator

I think it looks good man, ok, maybe a little bigger, lol, but really, it turned out well, thanks for the pics! I'm with smokey, who needs a muffler lol, that sounds pretty cool, nice job on your mods!

- Cherokee

post #19 of 19 Old 08-09-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey I have some pics from the back, will post soon. Plus you cant really hear what it really sounds like without the muffler, the low rumble didnt come thru on the recording. You could hear it from miles around I reckon.

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in