FDII vs FDI? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
FDII vs FDI?

I have a 14 Compass Limited 4x4 equipped with Freedom Drive I. What are the benefits to getting the full FDII package over just getting a lift kit, and adding a few mods here and there. I don't plan on doing any crazy trail considering this is my daily driver. I just want to be able to go down some dirt roads and get up to a couple trail heads that take a little more than your little civic to get up to. Just wondering if the FDII is so different compared to getting a lift kit and smaller wheels (16") with larger profile tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-13-2014, 11:11 PM

It should have the CVT with the lower gear and that should be it but being a 2014 You should be able to find info on Jeeps website. At some point they were suppose to stop using the CVT and revert back to a normal transmission.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
FDII will have a different front bumper facia (which increases approach angle in offroad situations).

FDII Will have 215/65/17 tires vs 215/60/17 tires.

2011+ Compass 4x4 models all use the same springs so FDI and FDII springs are the same (this is why 2011+ 4x4 models are higher than previous years)

The extra ground clearance comes from the taller aspect tires.

FDII package incudes higher driveline vents, this means that if you choose to go through deep water you have less risk of getting water into your rear diff power transfer unit ect.

FDII package includes a 140amp alternator vs the 120amp.

It also comes with factory skid plates, as well 2 front tow hooks and 1 rear tow hook.

In 2014 the Mk's got a 6 speed automatic transmission. However the FDII models still have the CVT Transmission.

The biggest difference is the Brake Lock differential (BLD programming) on the FDII. And the lower overall Ratio of the CVT and axles

In simplest explanation its brake traction control, however it only cares about the speed of wheels across a single axle, meaning if you have 1 front and 1 rear tires in the air, it will selectively apply the brakes on the wheel in the air and transfer power to the tire contacting the ground.

Since the 2.4 is not a torque monster the overall axle ratio (8:125) and the lower ratio CVT help in offroad situations when you need as much torque as possible. Having said that the New auto while not having as low of a ratio would still be fine if you aren't getting too crazy.

It's not replacement for a real locking diff or limited slip unit, but it increases the offroad capability a lot.

The Non FDII Compass' have the BLD but its not as aggressive so it is not as effective.

Long story short FDII parts you CAN add to a non FDII Compass

Skid Plates
Tow Hooks
Larger tires
Alternator
FDII Front Bumper

Things you CAN"T add

Driveline vents
ABS programming for BLD's
Low range axles

Here is a video showing the BLD in action (it's my compass)

Lifted Jeep Compass Hill Climb - YouTube

Lifted Jeep Compass FDII Offroad - YouTube

The BLD makes a large difference offroad, as well the different front bumper allows to go up steeper hills without contacting the ground.

If you aren't looking to do anything to insane. Adding a lift and skid plates will allow you to go down some trails you may not have been able to go down before. After my lift I noticed I bottomed out far less. The skid plates give you piece of mind so that should you bottom out you won't damage anything.

You can't add the FDII BLD programming which really transforms the Compass

If I was you, I would suggest Skid Plates, lift and a set of 16" tires with some 225/70/16 tires. If you wanted to run wheel spacers 225/75/16 would work as well.

Since you have a limited with 18" tires, should you choose to not get different wheels, 225/55/18 Yokohama Geolander AT/S All terrain tires would fit on your factory rims.

Let me know if you need anymore help. I've modified my Compass greatly and really pushed it offroad and would be glad to help you in any modification questions you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 PM

That 140 amp alternator will not likely fit the Pre 2011 body. Someone on the forum was having difficulty getting it installed. Even though it was so marginally larger physically. Whether he was eventually successful was not posted.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #5 of 20 Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That's odd, there was a 140 amp alternator in my 2008 FDII patriot. the alternator is located on the front left down low on the engine, it is possible the plastic wheel wells are different on the 07-10 compass' Regardless that is one of the mods I would do last, 20 extra amps isn't going to make much difference capability wise.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #6 of 20 Old 04-15-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
That's odd, there was a 140 amp alternator in my 2008 FDII patriot. the alternator is located on the front left down low on the engine, it is possible the plastic wheel wells are different on the 07-10 compass' Regardless that is one of the mods I would do last, 20 extra amps isn't going to make much difference capability wise.
As you know a different body between the two. The thread is here somewhere on it. I was just mentioning it and said that to him as well since it likely cost him a lot more for the 20A higher rating.

Yes they're hung the same and a pain to get at.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 20 Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I"ve contacted a few companies but none have got back to me, I was wanting a higher output alternator so that I could run my winch more without draining my battery as much.

A place called Ohio Generator built a 400Amp alternator for a guy with a patriot but it was done for stereo competition.

My Winch draws roughly 440amps with an 8000lb load and I can't see myself pulling that much very often. I would however be happy with a 220amp alternator if I can ever find one that would fit.

2.4L dodge avenger motor I believe is the same, and I have seen higher output alternator for those motors I will have to do some research to see if they would fit a compass.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #8 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys for all your imput. I think tyler-98-w68 said it best with the skid plates, lift, tires, etc. I probably won't go with the alternator until I get a winch or something that's taking some extra juice from the battery. I'd like to take an approach like your compass, but obviously throw a little bit of my own personality at it. BTW I saw on another thread you mentioning you got a lot of your stuff from rocky-road.com. Thanks for the tip. I've been searching everywhere for compass accesseries and that website is perfect. Also, does anyone have any tips on good mud flaps? Or do I just have to find a good univeral mud flap and drill out the holes?

Last edited by ski_bum; 04-16-2014 at 01:36 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I never wanted mud flaps mainly because i'm pretty sure I would just rip them off, while offroading so I can't offer you too many suggestions there.

One thing I"ve always liked about the limited Compass was the 18" wheel option, I think they look real sharp. 225/55/18 Allterrain tires I think would look great, you would retain that somewhat higher end look, but gain a lot in traction should you go offroad.

The lift makes a really big difference offroad, and even aesthetically too, looks more like a real jeep, I even have some people ask if I have grand Cherokee (front ends similar).

each person has their own tastes but for offroading, I would say first thing is skidplates, that way you don't mess anything up and you can play around a bit with the capability of the compass.

Tires make a huge difference too, if you got proper all terrains or more aggressive tires you'd be surprised at what you could go through with an otherwise stock vehicle.

Enjoy modding your compass!

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #10 of 20 Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 AM

Re: FD2 Front Bumper for FD1

Re: FD2 Front Bumper for FD1

Should have my 2014 FD1 in a couple of weeks. Is there an online link somewhere to look at getting the FD2 front bumper for better approach angle?

My Compass is a white FD1 2.4L with the 6spd automatic tranny, 215/65/17 for the 9inches of clearance, tow harness to get the oil cooler, and skid plates.

Thanks
Looking forward to driving up some hiking trail heads in Colorado.

Allan A
post #11 of 20 Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Your compass is a 2014 and it came with skid plates factory? Or did you add them after.

2014 Jeep Compass - Frame, Bumper And Fascia | Mopar

There is a link for the bumper covers, you will want the one with tow hooks, another way is to head to your local parts (Jeep dealer) and see how much a new front clip is.

While you at it should you choose to put a new bumper on, may as well get the rocky road winch bumper (which is easy to install when the front bumper is off)

Jeep Compass bumper kits and winch kits for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

That way you can add tow hooks at the same time =)

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #12 of 20 Old 04-22-2014, 05:47 AM

Well, I am having the dealer add the skid plates when the car comes in.
Didn't want an FD2 with CVT.

I will look into the bumper info. Ok, the pics on the Mopar site are so poor, I couldn't even tell what I would need? Any help in pointing out an FD2 bumper?

I will inquire with the dealer. Is the FD2 just missing the lower couple inches as compared to the FD1 bumper?

Regards
Allan A

Last edited by screebasher; 04-22-2014 at 05:51 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
When I put my Rocky Road winch kit on, I had the front bumper taken off, and it seems to be a 1 piece deal, although while it was off I didn't look too closely, it may in fact be a separate piece. Give me a day or 2 I will keep looking for a better link.

When you finally do take your jeep offroad take come videos to my knowledge no one has taken a 2014 offroad with the new 6 speed auto transmission, technically its a different AWD/4x4 system than the ones with the CVT some i'm curious to see how it does.

After looking at the pic it does look like it can be a separate piece, in that case it wouldn't be to hard to swap out.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #14 of 20 Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Yes I will try and do some short videos, hoping to make it to Colorado this summer.

The FD1 gearing is 4.2 (1st gear) x 4.12 = 17.3 with the 6spd auto tranny

The FD2 gearing is 2.39 x 8.12 = 19.4

Hopefully I got that correct so not that much of a difference.

I believe the older FD1 models with CVT were around 14.3

Sorry ski-bum not meaning to hijack your thread!

Regards
Allan A
post #15 of 20 Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
NO WORRIES! I'm loving the information. Definitely good to see this thread getting some attention.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Garage
This is amazing information @Tyler-98-W68! You have literally answered all of my questions about my 2014 Jeep Compass Limited. Except what tires would you recommend on a set of 17" rims?

I literally have a completed shopping list now for my Jeep!
post #17 of 20 Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you aren't planning on lifting your jeep or putting wheel spacers on, 225/65/17 is about the max size you can use without rubbing.

235/65/17 will work with 1.25" spacers before a lift in order not to rub.

235/65/17 will work after lifted but will require the spacers due to the geometry of the compass suspension when lifted it actually brings the tires closer in to the suspension.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #18 of 20 Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM

Do the 215/65/17 hurt your gas mileage ?
post #19 of 20 Old 04-15-2015, 04:44 PM

Garage
tyler what kind of winch did u get for ur compass
post #20 of 20 Old 04-16-2015, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordReddawg View Post
tyler what kind of winch did u get for ur compass
smittybuilt xrc8 8000lb with synthetic rope

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in