Air box mod - Page 3 - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #61 of 75 Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtune View Post
More noisy performance??? it's more placebo
LOL coud be, also with the front hood etc and maybe more sound entering the cabin. I saw nothing or felt nothing to make me want it over the 09er. My attention go to powertrain, toughness or in this case durability and reliability areas. But I believe the stock 2011 FD1 CVT was still 1" higher. I don't go anywhere that it does anything for me.

You know they can change the programming for the engine, CVT to respond differently but who knows. I had it for about 30min drive part city and mostly highway & 4WD on and off.

I asked a dealer for the heck of it on trade in. $16,000 more with mine still under full warranty. I baulked and nearly choked. Keep it and off I went. My last Chrysler vehicle anyway.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Garage
Well, I put my cover back on. It was WAY louder with the cover off!

I guess that air box intake somehow muffles the sound a lot with the little part that sticks off to the left. I did not like the extra noise at all, especially when I am on the highway and it has to rev up to get up the hills. I did not notice any improvement in acceleration, but seems like the 2011's have decent up-n-go anyway.

I was just hoping for more power at higher speeds so that it does not have to rev up so easily to get up hills.

I will have to look into other avenues to get what I want...

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
post #63 of 75 Old 07-17-2011, 03:16 PM

This mod gets two thumbs up from me. Did it about two weeks ago, and the throttle response has been way more improved. Takes way less effort off red lights, and also the engine runs a lot cooler. Considering this is the peak of summer, I can't imagine how good it will be once fall rolls around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 75 Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redgoat View Post
i just bought the k&n drop in filter.
Do you have a part# for that? Should I assume that the drop-in filter will fit the OEM air box? I'm looking for a way to improve performance without going through replacing the entire air intake system. I'm cheap, and not mechanically skilled, so....this looks like a good option for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2009 Compass Sport, Green, 4X4, 5-spd
Roof rack, sunroof, fog lights
Boston Sound package
post #65 of 75 Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds01 View Post
Do you have a part# for that? Should I assume that the drop-in filter will fit the OEM air box? I'm looking for a way to improve performance without going through replacing the entire air intake system. I'm cheap, and not mechanically skilled, so....this looks like a good option for me.
I just installed one about a month ago, it's very easy to do. Just release the clips, open the box, switch out filters and you're good to go! Part # is easy to google, or you could be lazy like me and make the Pep Boys person get you one.
post #66 of 75 Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 AM

My filter

post #67 of 75 Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Garage
Looks good, what filter is that? I have an AEM Brute Force.
post #68 of 75 Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post
Looks good, what filter is that? I have an AEM Brute Force.

El cheepo 25$
post #69 of 75 Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM

Garage
Oh ok, see the square foam piece in the back of the air box. This is my next project. This is where a breather filter should go. Instead, Jeep has hot engine gases rerouting back into the air box. I'll be working on this tonight and will post some pics.
post #70 of 75 Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Oh ok, see the square foam piece in the back of the air box. This is my next project. This is where a breather filter should go. Instead, Jeep has hot engine gases rerouting back into the air box. I'll be working on this tonight and will post some pics.

Good!
post #71 of 75 Old 03-20-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
What is that square white foam piece called? Just bought a 2014 Compass and doing routine maintenance on it and cannot find this filter anywhere
post #72 of 75 Old 06-01-2018, 06:54 AM

Air box mod

I must say I am intrigued with this post! I plan to make one up and give it a try! Thanks
post #73 of 75 Old 06-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Some comments. One, conservation of energy. When you change the intake and it then makes a lot of noise, especially at full throttle, where do you suppose that energy (the sound) is coming from. More importantly, you are creating a lot of pressure waves that interfere with air flow.
Two, the factory intake already is a cold air intake. It takes air from the front of the vehicle and is sealed off from the engine compartment.
Three, there is something called rain.
post #74 of 75 Old 06-06-2018, 03:03 AM

Air box mod

zoner99, you do have some valid points. However, as an ASE Master tech with over 45 years experience in all aspects of the automotive field, I have seen many mods that worked and others that weren't worth mentioning. I will tell you this (having dealt directly with automotive engineers first hand), some engineers would say you don't know what you are doing or you'll do damage etc. Most of them are just giving you theory of operation, or don't like what you are doing because in their opinion, they are right (always?). NONE of them (as far as the ones I met) EVER put a wrench on a car to earn a living. Trying out sensible modifications are the basis for modifications that sometimes are far superior to the OE designs. I happen to think this mod has merit, but it's just my opnion and gut feeling.
post #75 of 75 Old 06-08-2018, 12:55 AM

I think it's important to keep basic principles in mind, and to be aware of 'placebo' effects.

Older story, but nothing changes in this respect either :

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a310/1802932/
Redmaxx likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in