Air box mod - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Air box mod

not sure if i read this on here or on the caliber forums but there was a oem airbox mod which involved opening the box and removing the plastic piece inside that directs the air to the rear of the box.

well last weekend i did the mod, i ripped the inner piece out and threw it in the bush lol along with it i removed the "battery cover" section of the air system. and i couldnt believe the difference in throttle response. litterally half the amount of pedal to casually drive away from a red light. i imagine its close to an aftermarket cai in response.

to be noted while on full throttle the modded intake system is loud as fcuk. but i hightly recommend it. let me know what you guys think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(O[][][][]O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 PM

Are you talking about the easily removable black plastic part that goes overtop the battery and connects to the air filter?

Can you be a little more specific about what you did to the thing? Sounds interesting.
post #3 of 75 Old 07-01-2010, 06:04 AM

Garage
I can't remember what my stock air box looks like. I think I'll have to pull it out to see the deflector.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
as with alot of threads no fun untill theres pictures

Step one remove this piece

Step 2 open the air box, reach into the right half and remove this piece ( just plastic tabs holding it in place no tools required)

Step 3) put the air box back together and enjoy.

i found better results with the front section over the battery removed as well. in the final picture you can see the air has a more direct path to the filter

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #5 of 75 Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Garage
Devil's advocate here! It seems to me if the engine company design engineers figured out that these two plastic parts were vital to allow the engine to run at optimum efficiency, wouldn't removing it put something else out of kilter and cause problems later on?

It appears to me that the first part is some kind of "tuned" chamber not unlike the speakers in a "Bose" sound system.
post #6 of 75 Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yes i love devils advocate skyeye

engineers have to accomplish alot of goals with a vehicle to appeal to a wide selection of the market. my thinking is that the "tuned chamber" is to dampen the sound. because the modded setup is quite loud. and i believe i read that smokey01 made 205hp with an cai and a custon exhaust. in theory thats 33hp over stock by freeing the air flow on both ends by sacraficeing the "dude, is your compass even running?" lol

if anyone tries this mod and doesnt like it just put the pieces back together

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #7 of 75 Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Garage
doing this tomorrow morning first thing.

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #8 of 75 Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
yes i love devils advocate skyeye

engineers have to accomplish alot of goals with a vehicle to appeal to a wide selection of the market. my thinking is that the "tuned chamber" is to dampen the sound. because the modded setup is quite loud. and i believe i read that smokey01 made 205hp with an cai and a custon exhaust. in theory thats 33hp over stock by freeing the air flow on both ends by sacraficeing the "dude, is your compass even running?" lol

if anyone tries this mod and doesnt like it just put the pieces back together
Does this throw any CEL codes?
post #9 of 75 Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 PM

Garage
Shecky, I pulled a 2500lb trailer for around 2 1/2 hours, through 2 valleys with a head wind. The engine temp never got above 90 Celsius, and I could travel at 110 KPH (68MPH) no problems while getting 12L/100K (19.6 MPG). My buddy with his dodge ram 1500 mega cab with his 5.7 hemi pulling his trailer couldn't make it over 80 KPH (50MPH).

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness

Last edited by smokey01; 07-02-2010 at 12:13 AM.
post #10 of 75 Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 AM

Wow, thanks for the picks. Since it's easily un-doable I'm definitely going to try this one.
post #11 of 75 Old 07-02-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd View Post
Does this throw any CEL codes?
no codes on mine

and smokey01 that is really impressive! go go gadget compass

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #12 of 75 Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 PM

Garage
After removing the piece I definitely noticed that it takes a lot less pedal to get the jeep going. I did notice a slight improvement in take off. and it is a little louder (the air whooshing in ?). Pretty cool little mod tho. I left the battery piece on, but I expect that without it u would again get better throttle response along with a relative increase in that intake volume. then again, ppl say the K&N CAI is loud as well...each to his own I guess.

post #13 of 75 Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Interesting mod there, never would have thought about that, but I see it kinda the same way as a CAI in that while you're getting more air in essentially letting the engine "breathe" better, I would mod the exhaust also to make it freer flowing and less restrictive than the stock setup. I think you would definitely see some performance gains as one mod would compliment the other, IMO.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #14 of 75 Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yup cherokee my magnaflow kit should be installed next weekend

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #15 of 75 Old 07-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
yup cherokee my magnaflow kit should be installed next weekend
Nice, I definitely want to hear the results after that install!!!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #16 of 75 Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM

I took out the smaller piece inside the air box and noticed the engine does sound different - not sure if there is a noticeable power change though. Driving around without the battery cover provides a very noticeable sound change which I really like. I would also agree that without the cover there was a much better "off the line" feel.

I put the battery cover back on for now and will be trying to build one of these for the Compass: Caliber Forums - Air Intake Nozzle Mod.

The Compass design will have to be different than the Caliber design, as the Caliber's battery cover is a straight piece from the air box to the clips on the battery cover. The Compass's headlight placement is in the way, so the Compass's battery cover is offset about two inches from the air box input to the cover clips.

That does make it a tad bit more difficult, but I think I can make it work. Once I get a working cardboard model I'll post some pics - then hopefully I'll be able to fab a real one up!
post #17 of 75 Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Shump-o,

Can you bring the pictures across. I can't get into the pictures

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #18 of 75 Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWoodca View Post
Shump-o,

Can you bring the pictures across. I can't get into the pictures
Sure, here you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Intake - Finished 1.JPG (92.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Air Intake Pic 1.JPG (68.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Air Intake Pic 2.jpg (73.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Air Intake Pic 3.jpg (68.9 KB, 119 views)
post #19 of 75 Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Interesting set up there shmup-o. I'll be curious to see how it works out for ya'!

- Cherokee

post #20 of 75 Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 PM

When you guys have played around with the mod for a while, Can you let us know if the mileage improves or not

Thanks

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #21 of 75 Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Garage
I havent noticed any change in the mileage, mind u I left the battery cover on.. Definitely like the look of the caliber one in the pics. Much nicer than the current intake/battery cov er lol... I just dont see how its that much different to the original piece in terms of function. The only big difference I can see is that the original piece has a lot of chambers either side of the main duct that would affect the flow of the air, but would it make a big difference?

post #22 of 75 Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i really like the look of that custon caliber piece, as for milage reference i ended up getting the k&n intake kit so im no longer in the box mod loop

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #23 of 75 Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
i really like the look of that custon caliber piece, as for milage reference i ended up getting the k&n intake kit so im no longer in the box mod loop
So you still going with the Magnaflow? Great addition to the K&N if you do!

- Cherokee

post #24 of 75 Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM

Ok! Just did this mod I must say that this is a great mod (Battery Cover and chamber piece removed).The sound isn't bad at all. The only loud part about it is when you accelerate really. And I think it definatly makes the engine sound a little bigger than usual. The acceleration felt that it had a little more kick to it as well. Thanks for the great idea!

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.
post #25 of 75 Old 07-21-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
hooray for free mods that actually create a differance

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #26 of 75 Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 PM

Today I put back on the Battery Cover and found that there was hardly a difference between that and with the chamber peice. I want to keep the cover off but I don't feel that it is that safe... wouldn't it lead to me having to clean the filter more? I don't think the chamber piece being off is a big difference, but to each his own. Maybe put the chamber piece back on and just remove the battery cover?

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.
post #27 of 75 Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the inner chamber piece removed is the key to the increased airflow, keep that out and just use the battery cover. or put it all back together lol

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #28 of 75 Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM

Yeah I put the battery cover back on. I like the sound with it off but I am kinda paranoid about things getting into the airbox ... Anyway I would really like to hook that caliber mod up! Or maybe just mod the battery cover instead. Hmmmmm!

post #29 of 75 Old 08-01-2010, 06:23 AM

i took the baffle piece out and actually did notice improvement!

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #30 of 75 Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
i took the baffle piece out and actually did notice improvement!
Cool, so tell us what are your results? I'm even beginning to see some folks do this with their trucks.

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in