Custom exhaust - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 58 Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Custom exhaust

whats the forums thoughts of the center exit exhaust like on the srt8, and my next question can anyone picture something similar to this on a Compass? im not sure if i like the look of the magnaflow cat back kit for the compass so i thought id toy around with something custom, then as a fail safe i could always just buy the magnaflow kit if my creation wasnt as i imagined it.

we've been throwing this idea around at work for the past few days, we've worked out the kinks and i think it would look really cool! im leaning towards a universal magnaflow muffler and keeping the stock pipe, but we have to modify one section of the factory pipe to bring it to center.

also there is a section of the rear bumper i would be removing, but saving so i can reinstall if needed.

the end result i want the muffler close to the heatsheild, i dont want it hanging down low so the whole muffler is seen. and its gonna be sunk back so the tips are not sticking out further than the flat part of the rear bumper. i know i wont be able to install a hitch with this setup and im ok with that. the compass is too weak to pull my trailer queen import. so i put together this long ass post to bounce around this idea and get feedback. thx in advance guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(O[][][][]O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 07-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

I think that would look really good................can't do this one because oy hitch......

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #3 of 58 Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
im pretty excited for this project, gonna head down to my parts guys next week and order the muffler, and get a section of pipe made with a 45 degree bend in it. then wait a few weeks while my welder gets back from holidays lol

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM

I was thinking of something like that only having the pipes come out like a regular dual exhaust. Don't know if its possible or not but something to look at one day
Brettski321 likes this.
post #5 of 58 Old 07-31-2010, 03:46 PM

Garage
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duals.jpg (48.4 KB, 87 views)

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #6 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
ahh good smokey i was gonna comment and tell him to check out your ride but you beat me to it and included a pic

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #7 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 AM

Garage
I do what I can. As far as I know I'm the only compass out there with this setup, unless someone wants to challenge that

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #8 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Shecky, I think that would look sharp, pretty sweet setup there! Like your duals, too, smokey!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
as with all the projects on ye old jeep i will be taking photos of the whole project and posting. were gonna take the exhaust off from the catback and install our custom bent pipe and weld the muffler while its off. then paint the exhaust with the high heat flat black paint used on my oem muffler so it looks pro. cause new pipe with the old pipe wont look too sexy lol.

also i gotta find some trim or molding to put around the cut out section of the rear bumper.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #10 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator

What size tips you going to go with? That might help with some of the space around the cut out.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #11 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
its got dual 3 inch tips on the muffler
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8681

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #12 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
Like this?
yep..that's what i mean! Just like that.
post #13 of 58 Old 08-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Garage
The only parts involves are a J pipe, mustang magnaflow some 90's and tips. A local shop had it done in an hour.

post #14 of 58 Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 AM

Garage
Smokey do you mean u dont have the upper muffler part? Just the one muffler and the rest is just pipe? I thought that first straight muffler section (or whatever it is) served a purpose... Did u run 3" pipe all the way? Hey and did u notice a big difference in pick-up by doing that mod?

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #15 of 58 Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
As far as I know I'm the only compass out there with this setup, unless someone wants to challenge that
we will be the only 2 people with one-off exhaust systems for the compass lol. my needed parts will be 8 inches of 2.25pipe, 2 universal exhaust hangers+ 2 U style bold on clamps, a knife, welder, some beer, and the muffler

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)

Last edited by Shecky; 08-03-2010 at 09:14 AM.
post #16 of 58 Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Not a bad list there Shecky, looks like you will have everything you need.

- Cherokee

post #17 of 58 Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 AM

Garage
I can't remove the cat because of legal issues so I just changed the muffler. The tips are 3" but everything else is stock. The only complaint I have is that at idle the passenger side exhausts more than the driver side but when driving you don't notice it. I had my pipe welded on the whole way and don't regret it. My only other issue is with the mayor of my city wanting to make aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket stereo systems illegal. He may have a long battle ahead of him.

post #18 of 58 Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 AM

Garage
Illeagle after market stereos?

Quote:
My only other issue is with the mayor of my city wanting to make aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket stereo systems illegal. He may have a long battle ahead of him.
Regina???
Exhaust modifications are one thing but -
They want to ban aftermarket stereos???
That's crazy!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #19 of 58 Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 AM

Garage
He's been in power for around 10 years so I think it's going to his head. I can appreciate putting a decibel limit on exhaust and testing and would be happy to oblige by it and would even pay for it if it came in. The stereos are another thing, there are already laws in effect for that.

post #20 of 58 Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Neither one of those regulations would pass down here, that's for sure. We have noise ordinances already which are very rarely enforced....unless it were me making the noise, lol.

- Cherokee

post #21 of 58 Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
they are targeting bikes around here with a 92 decible rule, and the police are pretty sticky about loud cars and trucks. me and my friend both got tickets the same night a year ago lol. best part was i was driving my bone stock cutlass with dual exhaust and i got a ticket for loud pipes.

update on the center exit setup. did some more measuring and sadly i dont think the bumper will need the cutout. as the angle of the lower section of the rear bumper probably wont interfere with the tips. i was kinda looking forward to the tips being tight into the cutout section. going to order my muffler on friday

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #22 of 58 Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Garage
You can always bend the hooks to make the muffler hang higher (slightly) and then cut out the bumper as needed...

post #23 of 58 Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
from how it looks the new muffler would have to be pushed up against the compass for the tips to be where i want them, and thats not a good idea. were not useing the factory muffler mounting points, instead going off the rear cross member with a fabricated hanger setup. its too bad our bumpers angle in at the bottem that foils my sunken tip look haha. ill know for sure when we remove the stock exhaust then i can mock up my magnaflow muffler

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #24 of 58 Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 AM

Garage
Thats too bad, just an idea.. Hey u know what will give u that sunkn tip look for sure? The Rallye body kit lol... The Rallye has a nice looking sunk tip but judging by the height of the tip on the rallye it looks like it would still be much lower than the edge of the rear bumper on the standard compass.... Bummer. Those dual tips at the center are still gonna look awsome tho

post #25 of 58 Old 08-08-2010, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
today i went to my muffler shop, pulled the compass in and got in the pit with the muffler man told him what i wanted . and he custom bent up some pipe for me, i also picked up the clamps and hangers for mounting the new setup. after that went to the parts shop and ordered the new magnaflow muffler and it should be here tuesday. so the ball is rolling again .

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #26 of 58 Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Any updates Shecky? Were you able to get the Magnaflow installed? I definitely wanna see pics!

- Cherokee

post #27 of 58 Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i got the muffler on wednsday, later that night we dropped the stock exhaust and mocked up the new muffler. i was really happy with the fitment and i have to admit i think its gonna look really good. also i will need to do the bumper cutout so that will look badass. total cost so far has been about 240 for all the parts includeing the muffler . my welder is gone for holidays so it will probably be about 2 weeks till we get the time to do the install. maybe tomorrow ill snap some teaser pics

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #28 of 58 Old 08-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Hehehe, teaser pics are always welcome!

- Cherokee

post #29 of 58 Old 08-21-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update with pics,

today i cut out the bumper section

then i cleaned up the cut and installed the trim

(before i cleaned the cut)

(finished product! )

and here is some pics of the muffler and a teaser with the stock exhaust dropped

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #30 of 58 Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 AM
Administrator

SAWEEEEEEET!!!!! That is going to look awesome, nice work on the cutout, "finished product" looks professional! I am really hoping for a vid clip so we can hear that exhaust!

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in