My Plastidip work so far - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My Plastidip work so far

Just a few minor changes to the compass. So far I have dipped the front grill, all the badges, the roof rail and the tailgate lift handle. I might do the wheels next but am saving to put the altitude edtion wheels on.

jeep 1.jpg

jeep 2.jpg

jeep 3.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 PM

Garage
I love it did my grill how hard was it to do the letters and railing want to do the same to mine how did u do letters also
post #3 of 17 Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordReddawg View Post
I love it did my grill how hard was it to do the letters and railing want to do the same to mine how did u do letters also
Thanks! Everything was really easy to do actually. With the lettering just get painters tape and box in the letters (no need to get between them). I put about 2 strips of tape on each side of the lettering then covered the body with newspaper (i didn't want to clean off any over-spray). I put 3 coats on each badge. Once it is dry it literally just peals right off. There is no need to cut around the letters, just peel. To get inside the lettering just get a toothpick or something and pick until it comes loose. I did the same steps with the rails. Taped off all the black plastic around the chrome and covered the roof with paper. Do this in a garage or something where there is no wind, makes things a lot easier, (i made the mistake and did it outside). Just make sure when you are pulling the tape off of the plastic from around the rails that it doesn't pull off the chrome. It might be best here to actually cut in-between the chrome and the black plastic. There is a small space to do that with an exacto knife or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 AM

This is exactly what I was looking for joining this site... Did you remove the front grill to paint the chrome rings? How difficult was it? Looks good Btw
post #5 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Garage
ist very easy to do the grill all uahave to do is remove the top cover from under the Hood and stick ur arm down there and Pop the Clips to remove the inserts was very easy use a butter knife with duck tape to help pry them off but becarefull not to break the Clips on back there are 4 on each
post #6 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@vertigo THanks. Like LordReddawg said it easy to do just be careful not to break the clips. When i took mine out i didnt remove the top cover from under the hood. i just reached my hand in the vent area under the grill and popped them out that way. Whatever you prefer. I just did my wheels this weekend ill put a pic of those up soon.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Garage
ya Beef im hoping to do my badges here soon but i think im going to get my wheels done at a shop with real Auto paint not the plastic dip im worryed about it coming off i live in a place where my wheels get covered in mud and rocks worryed about nicks and marks
post #8 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM

Garage
havnt realy washed my grill yet how hard should i crub on them with the dip worry about taking it off hate bug guts all over them
post #9 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've just washed it like normal. I just use a garden hose to wash my car cuz i do it all by hand.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
here is a pic of the whole compass with the wheels done, finally! I'll try to get a better pic up and a close up of the wheels. If you can tell i did not dip the lug nuts or the center cap. Everything got taped off and covered because the last person who put my wheels back on put them on so tight that i couldnt loosen them...not even a little.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheels.jpg (44.7 KB, 147 views)
post #11 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM

I was wondering did u plasti dip both the inserts and the grille as well? Cause I cannot tell whether the metal net is black dipped or the factory colour

I just joined this forum to ask this question lol
post #12 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the honeycomb grill comes from the factory black. its a plastic not metal
post #13 of 17 Old 10-03-2014, 12:10 AM

Do you guys have any new photos/ updates on your cars? I'd love to see them as I thinking of plasti dipping my car as well.

Thanks guys
post #14 of 17 Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 AM

Garage
When washing your car just dont use any tar and bug remover because it WILL take off the plastidip as well!

2014 Jeep Compass Sport
2.4L FWD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbowen View Post
When washing your car just dont use any tar and bug remover because it WILL take off the plastidip as well!
Good to know! thank you for sharing
post #16 of 17 Old 04-05-2015, 09:35 PM

Garage
I did my rill and emblems all with the dip I love them so much but I didn't do such a good job with the dip im not realy good at spay paint so I just bought all the emblem glossy black and grill everything costed me about around $200 but ithink it was worth it I like the look of black on my deep cherry red way better than chrome if any body want the websites for the black emblems let me know
post #17 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 02:30 PM

LordReddawg, I'm about to purchase a 2016 high altitude, however, I really like the look of the 2015 Altitude with the all black trim, so I was wondering if it's possible to buy the grille, fog lights rings, badging, tailgate plaque, and possibly roof rack rails in the all black colors that come on the Altitude. I'd rather buy them black from the factory than paint what will come on the compass with plasti-dip. Where can I find the Altitude black trim pieces you purchased?

Last edited by Drbecking1; 12-06-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in