cold weather kits - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
cold weather kits

Hello my Jeep compass People next year in moving to Alaska and i know alot of y are from up North so i beat ya are the People to ask but should i do to get my Jeep ready for those cold ass days and night (-Zero temps)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
After having an MK for 6 winters in a row, here are a few things

Even not being plugged in it would start in very cold temperatures, however in preparation you could do the following.

1. Block heater, or oilpan heater if your compass didn't have one factory installed.

2. Larger capacity battery, the stock battery is pretty wimpy and small.

3. Battery blanket (warmer) keeps the battery warm (relative to ambient) temperature, so it doesn't lose as much cranking power (cord = lower cranking amps)

4. Synthetic oil instead of conventional oil, since synthetic retains its viscosity (ability to stay a thinner liquid vs gelling up and being thicker when cold)

If you take those precautions your compass will start all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
After having an MK for 6 winters in a row, here are a few things

Even not being plugged in it would start in very cold temperatures, however in preparation you could do the following.

1. Block heater, or oilpan heater if your compass didn't have one factory installed.

2. Larger capacity battery, the stock battery is pretty wimpy and small.

3. Battery blanket (warmer) keeps the battery warm (relative to ambient) temperature, so it doesn't lose as much cranking power (cord = lower cranking amps)

4. Synthetic oil instead of conventional oil, since synthetic retains its viscosity (ability to stay a thinner liquid vs gelling up and being thicker when cold)

If you take those precautions your compass will start all the time.
im thinking about getting a battery like u have and on the battery blanket what powers it when the Jeep is off is it the battery it self also which would be better and easier to install the block heater or oil pan heater and i use Pennzoil Platinum : Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil realy want to get everything ready bevor i moved to Alaska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Battery blanket I have is just plugged into a 3 way adaptor, so I can have the block heater and battery blanket on one extension cord.

If you invested in a battery like mine (they aren't cheap) and a battery blanket you probably could get away without a block heater.

As I said before lots of times in really cold weather my vehicle would start without being plugged in.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ya i kniw that they arnt cheap $250-$400 but i much rather pay more to get the good stuff that will last and i see so the battery blanket and block heater just plugs into an outlet thx for ll the help tyler u always have good info for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in