Ever used Nightshades? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 12-11-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Ever used Nightshades?

Just curious, has anyone ever tried the Nightshades tint paint from VHT? I've got two cans here that I'm going to be using to smoke out my tail lights and front corners... just curious if anyone has ever used this stuff. A few tips and suggestions would be nice but I think I got this down how to use it.

SN

--- Pearl White 2008 Jeep Compass Sport 2.4L CVT ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I just went ahead and tried it myself, figured I watched enough videos to be able to do it on my own. Seems to have turned out quite well, the plastic turned out real dark but you can still see the reflectors shine when hit by the sun (which is what you need for it to be overlooked). I'll post a picture once I'm able to... besides, it's drying right now and waiting for a clear coat over top.

SN

post #3 of 14 Old 12-12-2010, 12:28 AM

Garage
Yep! I have my tails done with Nightshades. You just have to be patient and take your time. The result will surely be better than tint film but it's permanent. If you get pulled over, it's gonna cost you some tails!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HID Trois-Rivières /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was super patient, made sure I went even coats over the whole tail light.

SN

post #5 of 14 Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I know a lot of people who have done this with great results. Just depends on your local laws as to how dark you can go lol, but can't wait to see some pics of yours xSHIFTNASTYx when you have enough posts!!!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 14 Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
Yep! I have my tails done with Nightshades. You just have to be patient and take your time. The result will surely be better than tint film but it's permanent. If you get pulled over, it's gonna cost you some tails!
tint film will look better i did the bmw with night shades way too much work! its perminent but if you dont spray it with clear it will flake or fin ish will go to ****.

www.lamin-x.com tail lights is a custom installation took me 1.5 hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154268_10150098053386062_517011061_7416898_3350639_n.jpg (66.0 KB, 51 views)

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #7 of 14 Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

The Nightshades was surprisingly little to no work for me. The only annoying part was the plugs holding in the tails were rather hard to pull out (granted, you don't want them to come out easy). I just cleaned them off real good and made sure they were nice and dry. Took me about 15 minutes to get the tails off, 10 minutes of prep work, and 10 minutes later I was done spraying them. I waited about an hour until they were dry to the touch and put a nice thick clearcoat right over top. I think it looks great.

I'll post pictures when I can get a chance (meaning once I hit 15 posts).

SN

post #8 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Administrator

And I see you've now hit that magic number, lol. Sounds like it went pretty easy for ya SN.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #9 of 14 Old 12-18-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, check out my post in the photo gallery. There's the first sneak peak of my ride, more will come soon, I promise. But you can see my tails painted with the aforementioned Nightshades product.

SN

post #10 of 14 Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM

Garage
Vht nightshades isnt permanent, just did a little research and Goo Gone graffiti remover, brake cleaner, or wet sanding with 2000grit will all work to remove it. ive been checking into it, might go this route than the putco covers.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #11 of 14 Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Garage
What would keep a person from using regular dark window tint on the taillights? Just like dark tint on the windows, you cannot really see inside, but at night with the interior light on, you can see inside just fine, same principle with the taillights. Has anyone tried this before?

I am very interested in smoking out my taillights to go along with the black pearl coat, i think it would look pretty sweet that way!

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

post #12 of 14 Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Garage
you can always try regular tint on your lights.. personally id stick with products designed for light such as VHT nightshades or Lamin-X. if you do try it let us know how it worked.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #13 of 14 Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
you can always try regular tint on your lights.. personally id stick with products designed for light such as VHT nightshades or Lamin-X. if you do try it let us know how it worked.
I was just thinking because Wally World started carrying window tint and I thought I may give it a try if it seems like it may work.

If it doesn't work, I will just put a little steam on it and it will come right off.

May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

post #14 of 14 Old 06-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Never heard of anyone trying it with window tint but like you said, not permanent so guess it couldn't hurt to try. I'd be curious to the results.

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in