My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Matte Black Exhaust - 2009 Compass North Ed. Rallye

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Cherokee 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've got the chrome-tipped exhaust on the 2009 Compass North Ed. Rallye and I'm not a knowledgeable "car guy".

Here in Ontario Canada it's tough to keep chrome looking good with the salt on the roads...or i'm just too lazy to keep it clean. How can I go from the chrome tip to a sexy black matte tip?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

#2 ·
I take it you're just looking to paint the tip you have? There is a way to go about painting chrome and I can check with some guys who have painted the chrome on their trucks and see what they recommend.

- Cherokee

#4 · (Edited)
Gotcha, ok. Here is a popular paint people use for that application, gives it a black chrome look: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shadow/, but matte black would be cool, too. The only concern I would have about this paint, though is I'm not sure how it holds up to the high heat, so maybe more along the lines of an engine paint would be preferable. You will need primer, adhesion promoter and paint, since painting chrome is very similar to painting plastic. A couple coats of primer first, then, when dry, a couple coats adhesion promoter (just helps the paint stick) then finally the paint. Another thing you can consider, a little bit more money lol, but I would honestly recommend having it powder coated black, it's a lot more durable in the long run and still gives you the look you're going for.

- Cherokee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.