4 port USB hub install with retractable cord and phone cradle - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
4 port USB hub install with retractable cord and phone cradle

Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub, Sundix 3FT Retractable Lightning to Micro USB Charging and Sync 2-in-1 Cable, and Scosche Magic Mount

I can't stand cord clutter. My wife's vehicle is a wreck with all the cords for her devices, and she's ok with the mess...I'm not.

With the 2016 Compass Sport that I bought only having one 12V plug, I needed to upgrade the system, but without harming the warranty by splicing into the wiring. I noticed that there was a USB port in the glove box which seems to be for Apple products to be played through the stereo. Since I abhor Apple products, and use an Android phone, this port is not used for anything other than charging. It's the perfect spot for a 4 bay hub, too.

At first, I just tried using 3M double sided tape...the same tape used to hold emblems and body moulding on. However, the plastic on the back of the glove box felt a bit slick, due to the type of plastic it is, so I needed an alternative.

I cut a thin piece of aluminum to fit the back of the hub, drilled two 1/8" holes for pop rivets. I drilled two matching holes in the back of the glove box, then riveted the aluminum plate in place. The 3M double sided trim tape sticks to it instead of the plastic of the glove box. I then got the hub set in place, pressing firmly. When done, I put everything back together...(I had to remove the glove box to do the work)

I removed the lightning to micro adapter from the cords, tossing the adapters in the garbage. I plugged them in, and turned on the corresponding switch. I can now place my phone in the magnetic phone cradle that I have mounted to the dash, pull the cord from the glove box, plug the phone in and shut the glove box door. I still have 3 ports on the hub that can be used for charging phones and tablet computers. Since I stream my music from my phone to the radio using UConnect, this set up seemed best for my needs. The Scosche Magic Mount uses magnets in the mount, and a black steel plate that you stick to the back of your phone. I had to buy an additional plate to mount on the back of the phone case, since the magnet wasn't strong enough to keep it mounted through the case. It now holds strong enough to drive on the worst pot hole filled road in my town, which is the road I live on...without falling off.

Here's a few pictures of the hub, cords, and the phone cradle in place.

free picture upload

free image hosting

pic host

What I find nice about this mod is that it's easy to do, inexpensive to purchase the parts, and keeps cord clutter at the minimum by using retractable cords that go neatly return to the glove box when not in use. This is a mod that anyone can do, and is especially suited to folks like me that can't stand being tangled up in cords while driving or riding in the vehicle.

I plan on doing this same mod to my trucks, too...as soon as I install the USB port into their glove boxes.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Stringplucker; 09-17-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-19-2016, 04:38 PM

Nice, i had no idea there was a USB in the clove box, went out to look and sure enough there it was! thanks
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The USB is great if you have an iPod...something I wont ever own. Adding the 4 bay hub has been one of the best mods I think I've done to an interior...because it keeps cord clutter at bay.

I need to find a way to daisy-chain two more ports to the back seat area that ultimately plug to the hub. I was going to tap into the 12V dash connector, but was told that I risk voiding my warranty if I do. If I can get the wire up to the back of the glove box and plugged to the hub, it would work great.

Clyde--True Blue Pearlcoat 2016 Compass Sport 2.4L 6-speed. Additions since brand new in September of 2016: 4X Alpine SPJ-691C3, Weathertech floor liner Front only, Scosche Magi-Mount, USB charging port added to glove box, USB charging ports added to rear passenger area, Hum, Curt 13081 class III receiver. More to come!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2016, 06:59 AM

Any idea what's the maximum electricity power output on that usb port?

0.5 A (USB 2.0)
0.9 A (USB 3.0)
5 A (BC 1.2)
3 A (type-C)
Up to 5 A (PD)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
@
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
500mA. It's not that much power, which is why I'm planning on adding another one when I do the rear passenger one...both hooked behind the 12V plug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in