10Likes
  • 4 Post By icpirate3
  • 2 Post By icpirate3
  • 3 Post By Thomas Kerr
  • 1 Post By bluestar

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

HD suspension, RRO lift, tires project

Howdy all! My new job has me driving up a nasty, un-maintained, washboard, pot-hole infested, oil pan hunting road that has been eating cars and trucks alive and I don't want my Compass to be the next victim. So I am looking to toughen it up a bit. The plans are to get the RRO lift without the control arms(if possible) and installing MOOG control arms, heavy duty shocks, new cv joints (worn), and larger A/T tires. The tire size's I am considering are 245-65-17, 235-65-17, or 225-70-17 on stock rims. I may get the rims powder coated or painted if the budget allows. I've always thought the ugliest part of the compass is the large, empty looking wells and think a little more tire would not only help the ride, but hopefully make it look at little better. That being said, the main purpose for dumping any money into this thing is to prevent having to pay more later to repair broken parts and repairs. I like my jeep and love my job so i'm looking at it as an investment. I am working with a local offroad shop that specializes in Jeeps (and VW's- I know, weird combo) but they have yet to work on a Compass or Pat.

I guess I am just looking for advice and/or guidance. I'm not an offroad or big, lifted truck kind of person so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance!

*edit- it's an 11 Compass Latitude 4x4

Last edited by icpirate3; 08-29-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 PM

Garage
sounds good. Remember that if you increase tire diameter a lot your stock jack and spare won't work any more. You at least need a block of wood for the jack, and a spare that is the same overall height as the tire/rim combo you choose. What are you considering for tires?
post #3 of 11 Old 09-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you want to replace your shocks/struts go with the Monroe sensatrac. They give such a smooth ride and are great offroad. If you do the lift and run 235/65/17 or larger tires you will require spacers.
You mentioned a rough road. Heavy tires will wear the suspension components quicker so make sure you watch the weight of the tires you are planning on using. Stock Wrangler SRA tires are 28lbs so use that as a benchmark. I wouldn't go over 35lbs if possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-04-2017, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I'm still not sure which tire I am going with, just want to make sure they can handle the sharp rocks and rough terrain. I sometimes work 7 days a week and while it's only 6 miles a day, it's 6 brutal miles. The tire shop I am thinking about using also mentioned a larger jack but I will probably just keep a block of wood for now. They are also recommending BFG's at close to
$200 a tire and the budget just can't reach that far. Spare tire isn't something I have thought of so I will look at my options. Will most likely try to find a used tire/rim combo for the spare.

Thanks for the advice and I will post some pics once it's done. Hopefully the parts are in and I can get it done this week.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Everyone always says go with BFG's there is a tire world other than BFG's I just think they are overpriced. I'm not biased, I have KO2's on my work truck (2017 Ram 1500) and I love them BUT they are super heavy. The only size that doesn't weight a million pounds that would work on a compass is the 225/65/17, the upside is that it will fit with no spacers lift or anything so that is an option. Falken Wildpeak AT3/W is what I run on both my Cherokee's now. The only size that would work is the 245/65/17, but they weigh 39lbs, and you'd need to run spacers and do the pinch weld mod as well since they are quite large (29.5")

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #6 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Well, here's the updated Compass. Went with Big O (Cooper) tires at 235-65-17. There's a slight rub at full lock but I can live with it. I wouldn't recommend going any larger. Also installed fender trim which really helped the look. Next will be a matte black vinyl decal on the raised section of the hood once the budget allows. Rolling tally is somewhere in the $2500 range total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side.jpg (78.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep Front.jpg (93.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20170915_094212.jpg (78.5 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by icpirate3; 09-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

A couple more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tire closeup.jpg (72.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Side 2.jpg (70.3 KB, 59 views)
zoner99 and ghiser30 like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Looking really nice icpirate3, this is exactly what I want to do to my compass.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 AM

Garage
1.5" Teraflex lift and BFG K02's in 225/65/17. No rub, TPMS works (had to be recalibrate) and no speedo issues. Used quick disconnect sway ends that come with kit, and spare still fits in stock area. LOVE this setup- don't mind the space in the wheel wells as it is pretty much invisible due to black cladding and well liners. It's all dirt colored now anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180316_122640_hdr.jpg (164.9 KB, 78 views)
zoner99, phmmuller and bluestar like this.

2017 Compass Trailhawk in White, 1.5" Tera Flex lift kit, 225/65/17 BFG KO2s
post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Kerr View Post
1.5" Teraflex lift and BFG K02's in 225/65/17. No rub, TPMS works (had to be recalibrate) and no speedo issues. Used quick disconnect sway ends that come with kit, and spare still fits in stock area. LOVE this setup- don't mind the space in the wheel wells as it is pretty much invisible due to black cladding and well liners. It's all dirt colored now anyway

That looks great!
Thomas Kerr likes this.

2018 JEEP COMPASS TRAILHAWK. KAR light bar with Cree lights, K&N drop in filter, Pirelli Scorpion AT's, Window Tint 20%, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-27-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Kerr View Post

WAIT.

The teraflex lift comes with the quick disconnects?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in