Cool Air Intake - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Cool Air Intake

I was wondering if someone could tell me if they've modified their air intake system? I have a 2013 Compass w/ the 2.4L. I've decided to keep it @ 72,000 miles and want to do all I can to give it that much needed boost. I'm installing @ Spectre Cool Air Intake later this week. I'd love ANY and ALL advise on how to get the most out of it. I hate that hesitation and the lack of HP.....but you get what you bought. I do like it....moonroof....Boston Acoustics sound. Put in aftermarket Kenwood receiver. Sounds BAD ASS! It's the tailgate package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 PM

100 shot of nawzz oughtta do it

Sorry to say I don't think any Compass is ever going to be fast, pretty heavy machine to be trying to sling up to 60 MPH in under 8 seconds with a naturally aspirated four banger. It does good for what it is but a hole-shot it has-not, and no amount of CAIs or fart can exhausts is going to change that.

If you did a CAI, larger exhaust, slightly smaller diameter and lighter tires and rims, and take out a few pounds of weight in spare tire and passenger seats.. you could maybe shave a full second off the 0-60 and possibly 1.6 seconds off the 1/4 mile. Lot of work for very little reward.

Not to be a debbie downer but thats kinda the reality, heavy buggy with a N/A 4 cylinder, she's never gonna be a stoplight drag racing champion.

If you are hellbent on throwing away money you could look for something like this:
PedalMAX Drive By Wire Throttle Enhancement Device more details on - https://www.carid.com/2013-jeep-compass-performance-fuel-systems/jms-pedalmax-drive-by-wire-throttle-modification-device-153802894.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|2.4L

But all that does is when you press the throttle 10% it tells the ECU you actually pressed it 50% tricking you into thinking "wow I just press the throttle a tiny bit and it launches like crazy wow so much power wow"

So... please don't waste your money on that
post #3 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!!! I've never had the need for speed.....EVER. I like reliability and the 4 wheel peel for the snow. Not a MUDDER either. HOWEVER, I would like to pull out of a parking lot or at a stop sign and not get beeped at cause the damn thing is sluggish. Just a bit more HP and I am fine. Thanks again for your advice? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Hang on... 2013 you say? Do you have the CVT transmission? You must otherwise this obviously is a non-issue with manual trans. I don't think there is anything you can do, CVTs are the worst

Engine/power is not likely your problem just the sluggish belt pusher they call a transmission. Our honda civic is the same way and the complaint on sluggish, laggy takeoff is common to virtually every CVT review I have ever seen. Mash the gas, car *thinks* about it for a full two seconds going "what, you want go now? right now? ummmm, ok!" and then you finally go.

You straight up don't pull out into traffic with a CVT. Ever. I don't know why no one seems to be able to make one that is responsive at slow speeds, I swear its almost purposeful, like they deliberately tell the computer to wait out those precious milliseconds to make sure you are serious about wanting to take off and then it begrudgingly obliges.

You could put a turbocharger on your 2.4 and would not fix the hesitation-before-takeoff problem. Just ask my fiance in her turbo civic. Hella fast once it winds up but we both know better than to try to get out in traffic hard from a stop with it
post #5 of 10 Old 07-19-2018, 04:25 AM

OMG, that is hilarious (hesitation-before-takeoff). I literally just experienced that about a week ago. Picked up my son and was waiting at a light for the oncoming traffic to go by so I could turn left and I got impatient and hit the gas.... well, I hit the "gas" pedal and attempted to go left. The look on the lady's face heading towards my son's side and the sounds coming out of his mouth said it all. Never again will I take a chance that like again. Scared the b'geebies out of us all.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 PM

We have this lag in ours and our Honda and pretty much every automatic transmission car built after 2008. Adding 0.09 HP via a cold air intake will never help with the hesitation. Throttle pedal enhancer is probably the only hope, and even that I am skeptical of.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
if you get 5hp more i would be amazed

just leave it stock, and learn the vehicle

fyi. more air needs more fuel and more exhaust flow to function properly
so throw in a custom exhaust, and tune the computer

you may get 5-10hp after spending a grand or so

2018 Compass Latitude
post #8 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 01:01 AM

Anyone know where I can get my 2014 Jeep Compass programmed... All I really need is the speedometer recalibrated for a 265/50r20 aggressive all-terrain
post #9 of 10 Old 08-01-2019, 08:57 PM

This is what I did... I bought a universal cone airfilter, and universal breather filter for the crank case. I removed the factory airbox completely. I kept the factory intake tube that went to the throttle body, and airbox. I used a can from corn, yes I said can from corn. I cut the top and bottom of the can off with a canopener, and rinsed the can out thoroughly. After the can dried, I installed it into the intake tube, and put the cone filter on it. I've gained more MPG and slight HP. For the total of $45, and 30 minutes of work, it was worth it. I call it the poor mans cold air intake, and it works just fine. I've noticed throttle noise when I step on it, and it sounds good. Figured I would just let you know what I did, to give out a helping hand.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisRivette View Post
This is what I did... I bought a universal cone airfilter, and universal breather filter for the crank case. I removed the factory airbox completely. I kept the factory intake tube that went to the throttle body, and airbox. I used a can from corn, yes I said can from corn. I cut the top and bottom of the can off with a canopener, and rinsed the can out thoroughly. After the can dried, I installed it into the intake tube, and put the cone filter on it. I've gained more MPG and slight HP. For the total of $45, and 30 minutes of work, it was worth it. I call it the poor mans cold air intake, and it works just fine. I've noticed throttle noise when I step on it, and it sounds good. Figured I would just let you know what I did, to give out a helping hand.
I am pretty sure you gained no HP or improved MPG but just experienced conformation bias. Even if we assume it managed to increase the volume of air going into the intake tube, a modern engine with MAF sensor and electronic TB will not benefit anything from a cold air intake. ECM will just reduce the air flow going into the engine at the TB level and achieve practically the same performance as before.

Plus the air intake tube for the tigershark engine is going around the engine. So even if you somehow disabled the electronic control through the MAF sensor (and installed a completely mechanical TB), you will still not gain any meaningful improvement as the air that enters to the engine will get heated up as it moves through the intake tube that is being heated by the engine, basically canceling out what ever improvement the initial cold air intake did.

Cold air intakes are useless for modern engines. If you check the website for such systems that "claim" to increase HP, it is almost always just reving the engine to a slightly higher number (either by inactivating the rev. limiter, or/and by using a low friction dyno). So if the official HP is 180 @6400 RPM, they say 188 @ 6500 RPM. Their intake basically did nothing, they are just reporting the value at a higher point in HP/RPM curve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in