HID headlight upgrade question 2017 gen 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Compass2ndgenguy
  • 1 Post By rwarren5
  • 1 Post By Compass2ndgenguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Headlight upgrade 2017 gen 2 (Updated: part bought and story started!)

Looking at upgrading my reflector headlights with the projector ones. Either from Jeep in general or I found these as well on eBay. (I know that could be bad)

Link: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232877520558

Questions are will this even bolt up the same? And if so how do I get high beam and low in the same? Hate that this are so completely different from the reflector to projector headlights in case we want to upgrade ever.

Thoughts? I don't want to buy these expensive parts for them to not ultimately fit....

K

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights

Last edited by Compass2ndgenguy; 12-30-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I wanted to update this. I pulled the trigger on this set, as they all looked the same and they were a bit cheaper.

Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18360973344...m=183609733444

Sooooooo here is the skinny, they right away emailed me through my personal email(using my PayPal email from the PayPal payment) for pics of the car to verify that the if the headlights could even fit my kind of compass. I did this, but I sent it back through eBay system to get protected by eBay

They got back to me in 1 day time from the manufacture, that it doesn't my car because of the high and low beam being split. I thought that might be the case, but they had a solution at the manufacturer level and could make the mod for me for $85 extra. Again, these emails are all on the eBay system and the invoice will go through PayPal so I am not worried much. Paypal and eBay have protected me so well in the past that I am not worried as long as I am making a paper trail in there internal system.

So end result, I will be getting a modded Bi-xenon Lens Projector LED DRL, direct from this china manufactur and all protected under PayPal and eBay. I will post here with the results if it all happens! I could end up with very nice looking projector headlights with LED turn signal in the headlight just like charokees. Headlight upgrades for us reflective housing compasses owners could be answered!

Ahh the world of eBay hahah

K
Lee Ekstrom likes this.

"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #3 of 13 Old 01-03-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update!

Seller messaged me that coverstion to fit my car from reflective housing to this model is done at the factory manufacturing level. Testing was done to insure quality, and that everything was working before shipping.

That was yesterday, and they said the were wrapping up the tests and said the product would ship soon. (As long it doesn't fail any final tests) Got alert that tracking was made and will be following it till it shows up and will be posting up pics ASAP when they come.

Messaging was done though eBay message system so my butt is still covered well by eBay and PayPal at this point if things go south when the headlights get here.

Keeping my fingers crossed, because if they deliver on this promise it provides an upgrade for us with reflective headlight housing.

K

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-14-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I got these yesterday, the shipping was fast! They just contacted me via eBay message to let me know that all the mods were done and they were shipping last week Friday(it was Saturday there in China they said to wait for Monday for updates on tracking). They were spot on, though it would take a month even though it said it was expedited shipping, guess that means only a week.

Oscar is actually at the dealer right now, some broken clips that were not done from me and been there over a week as they ordered the wrong headliner part with the wrong harness for my dome lamp. That happened Friday and now I am in loner renegade (ps: not a fan) it is very jarring and rough, but whatever it is free and they screwed up.

I opened the box to make sure everything was in order and I was super impressed. When you pay over $600 China eBay does it right!!! The connectors are made to fit my car without modding harness low and high beam although there is no high beam. It came with the HID bulbs and ballast in the box. I am not sure if can use them or not I didn't rip it all apart yet, but I have everything I need from that point. Plastic feels solid and not flimsy, nice packing for the headlight that was made for it. Film protector over the front to save the lens from getting scratched with the install or just in shipping.

Without install, customer service, packing, and overall delivered product... this is looking like a viable option going forward for compass gen 2 owners that want to switch from reflective to projector housing headlights. With LED flair and not have to pay an arm and leg for Mopar one, or salvaged ones with broken clips. It is also really fuzzy if it is even possible to install OEM projector headlights on a reflector housing compass gen 2 because it goes from a low and high beam light being separate on refective to the low and high beam being the same bulb in the projector OEM headlight.

I will snag some pics when I can just need to get the compass back and remove the bumper and install them to see the final result. Lets just say now... get hyped!!!

K

post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM

Maybe I'm just being impatient but, any update on this project?
Christato71 likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
I would like an update as well. Is this something that you will have the dealer install? Or will you be doing it on your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christato71 View Post
I would like an update as well. Is this something that you will have the dealer install? Or will you be doing it on your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarren5 View Post
Maybe I'm just being impatient but, any update on this project?

My Jeep has been at the dealership since the start of January for a headliner part and currently in limbo and they are talking to Mexico where the Compasses are made to find the right part. It has been a true cluster ****... so the mod is behind because I do not actually have the Jeep... Not a dead project, I spend of $600 on these headlights!

I will be doing this myself, it is bolt on bolt off. I have to take the front bumper off. That has been done before on the site and I bookmarked the page. I promise the dealership would not do this mod as it is parts that are not approved by mopar or some BS like that. Having a project car a couple years ago taught me a lot to not be afraid about bolt on bolt off projects.

K

post #8 of 13 Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass2ndgenguy View Post
My Jeep has been at the dealership since the start of January for a headliner part and currently in limbo and they are talking to Mexico where the Compasses are made to find the right part. It has been a true cluster ****... so the mod is behind because I do not actually have the Jeep... Not a dead project, I spend of $600 on these headlights!

I will be doing this myself, it is bolt on bolt off. I have to take the front bumper off. That has been done before on the site and I bookmarked the page. I promise the dealership would not do this mod as it is parts that are not approved by mopar or some BS like that. Having a project car a couple years ago taught me a lot to not be afraid about bolt on bolt off projects.

K
Yikes what a mess. Thanks for the update, I hope they get that resolved soon!
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oscar is back... but it is a little cold and I have been busy with work. Soon this will update!
rwarren5 likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Garage
I have purchased from this place several times to upgrade my ATV's headlights to LED. Originally I used HID kits bought on Ebay for my ATV. They sure were bright for night riding, but didn't hold up to the mud & muck. Two of my machines lights are combination low and high beam which you can't get a HID kit for, so I went LED and it made a huge difference.

So far the LED conversion kits for the ATV's have been holding up well.

https://www.headlightexperts.com/car...compass-463914

The direct link is for the 2019 Compass model. You can also search by bulb type instead.

Mike
post #11 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexplorer View Post
I have purchased from this place several times to upgrade my ATV's headlights to LED. Originally I used HID kits bought on eBay for my ATV. They sure were bright for night riding, but didn't hold up to the mud & muck. Two of my machines lights are combination low and high beam which you can't get a HID kit for, so I went LED and it made a huge difference.

So far the LED conversion kits for the ATV's have been holding up well.

https://www.headlightexperts.com/car...compass-463914

The direct link is for the 2019 Compass model. You can also search by bulb type instead.

Mike
I need to stop using this thread as it started off as a question and now it is a project. Anyway, LED for maybe an ATV is fine but with reflective housing headlamps it is dangerous to oncoming drivers because converting straight to LED from halogen like most of our compasses is a bad idea. Light is thrown everywhere and not as far since the housing was made to work with a halogen bulb light pattern, not an LED one. Having projection housing makes this easy to take care of and like when I owned a chevy volt it just swapped out bulbs and everything is ok because projection housing has a hard cut off line.

Anyway, this project is taking refective housing headlight and swapping to this aftermarket one from China that they special made for my compass to work with the connections... soooo we will see how it goes. I most likely will post in a new area once done. Most likely the general gen 2 forum.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Garage
You do make a valid point there concerning the reflection and conversion to HID or LED lights. The housings in my ATV's do use a reflector for the bulbs and I did find the HID conversion did cause the beam pattern to change. Now in the case of my quad which uses 880 style bulbs, I have both low and high beam lights. The low beams were not effected as much by the HID change, but the high beam was, the light spread a bit too high so I had to make sure to shut them off when there was oncoming ATV traffic (like you would do in a car) I only used those for night riding, never day time riding.

The other two machines I have use HS1 type bulbs which are the combination low and high beam. There was no HID kit for them unless I wanted to forgo the high beam setting. I first converted them to LED. I found with the type bulbs I used, as long as they were aligned properly (these bulbs have a fork to indicate placement in the socket) the beam pattern was not affected. The other machine I accidentally had the bulb turned around and the high beam projected skyward.

I later converted my machine to LED with the 880 bulbs and found the beam pattern is very close to the regular bulb setup. They did seem to take into account the reflection when these LED's were built.

What you stated is an important consideration to anyone who wants to do this conversion.

Personally I do not have plans to change the lighting in my Compass, I did it for the ATV's because the stock headlight system sucked, rather then add on a LED lightbar, for the same money, I just changed the stock lights to LED and get a much brighter light, plus it does not draw any more power then the stock lights did. That was also a consideration with an ATV, the magneto only puts out so many amps and I did not want to overtax the system.

Mike
post #13 of 13 Old 05-02-2019, 01:43 PM

I've got a question related to the headlights as well on the 2019's. They have the premium lighting group option to upgrade on some models. Do any of you know if that since it is a factory option, do the vehicles come with the connectors if you buy the parts for the package? Is there a hookup for the HID ballist part and all of that stuff that goes with it? Would the tail lights be plug and play?

Site description for the lights from jeep:
Premium Lighting Group $695

INCLUDES:
Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps with LED Signature
Bi-Xenon High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps offer optimal visibility when driving and a distinctive signature strip.

LED Tail Lamps
LED taillamps light the way during night drives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in