K&N Cold Air Intake. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

K&N Cold Air Intake.

Well I just got back from getting a K&N CAI installed and I have been looking through the forums for threads but have not seen any so I figure I will start one up. It is definatly louder and has a better get up and go kick. I just had the dealership do it because I know the Aftermarket guy behind it all and got a great deal. Basically he didn't charge me labor so all I payed was 260.00. I hope to get some tips and tricks for the intake. Any maintenance tips would be appreciated as well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0288.jpg (117.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0289.jpg (57.5 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0292.jpg (68.6 KB, 140 views)

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.

Last edited by OffTheWoll; 08-23-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 AM

There has been a lot of discussion on the K&N filters as opposed to paper/cellulose type always used by OEM's. The filtration is much better with standard filters which keep out harmful abrasive particles.

If you're not keeping the vehicle well past warranty then it’s not an issue but if you are then earlier engine damage is likely to occur especial in dusty, sand blown areas.

You can see with the naked eye the space within a K&N weave but a paper filter offers no such openings. I would think that if more power and millage was that easily attained the OEM's would put them in as stock. They use large filters with large surface areas to allow air to pass into the engine as in the 2.4L.

If you think it cleans the air as well you're mistaken. I am just point this out since I did not see anything on this point in the forum. But other auto forums Jeep, SUV, Explorers etc have done plenty of research.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Garage
I agree its a tradeoff situation. K&N equals more air and thus more power but less filtration. Stock is restrictive in air flow because it is doing a better job filtering. However in reality, these K&N filters are great. You'd have to drive this everyday offroad for years before you see any negative effects of less filtration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

At first glance I didn't see any intake threads but thanks Trip. Yeah I can see how the intake would not filter as well but I think the shield would stop the big things that would cause the most harm. Any tips on cleaning or anything? How often should one clean the filter?

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.

Last edited by OffTheWoll; 08-23-2011 at 04:12 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM

Garage
The shield is more for heat than anything. I would say give this a good cleaning every 50K miles or so (really depends on where you live and the type of driving). Just wash it out with water, let it dry and spray with a light coat of oil.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I love in the city so I shouldn't have a problem going 40-50 thousand miles before cleaning. Thanks for the tip giant.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM

i had the K&N Cold Air Intake in my 2008 compass and loved it... so far K&N hasnt made the system for the 2011s yet. I did notice that Jeep changed the stock flat airfilter to a round cone filter (like the one that comes in the K&N Cold Air Intake). i'll wait a little bit longer to see if they release a kit if not ill buy the K&N airfilter for now.... I'm still waiting for magnaflow to release the exhaust systems for the 2011s... it is coming SOON

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #8 of 15 Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Sounds awesome Warhawk. I think i'll love mine while I have it as well. I might think about getting an exaust system next summer but I don't know for sure yet. I have done mostly everything else that I wanted to do with my compass so I don't know what the next step is yet. Maybe a sub in the back or something. Who knows!

post #9 of 15 Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Garage
I thought the magnaflow exhaust was already out. I've contacted Borla and they said the older compass exhausts will not fit the 2011s. Will be getting the magnaflow exhaust sometime this winter.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post
I thought the magnaflow exhaust was already out. I've contacted Borla and they said the older compass exhausts will not fit the 2011s. Will be getting the magnaflow exhaust sometime this winter.
Nope not yet MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - 2011 Jeep Compass "coming soon" at least there's a part number for it

18 Redline Pearl w/Two–Tone Paint Compass Latitude 2.4L, 4x4, Auto Mods/Addons:
Eonon GA2168K Android 10.1" Screen Double Din Car Multimedia Center
Previous Cars:
11 Mineral Gray Metallic Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Auto
08 Red Compass Sport 2.4L, 4x4, Manual
post #11 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheWoll View Post
At first glance I didn't see any intake threads but thanks Trip. Yeah I can see how the intake would not filter as well but I think the shield would stop the big things that would cause the most harm. Any tips on cleaning or anything? How often should one clean the filter?
read the box it will tell you how often you need to recharge the filter with the k&n recharge kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #12 of 15 Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 AM

I run K&N in all my sports cars. For perspective where I'm coming from, I have a 91 Mazda RX7 that was putting down about 140 rear wheel horse power (RWHP) stock and is now putting down over 306 RWHP.

That said, keep in mind you also need as cold air as possible to get maximum HP. The OP did a nice job creating an air wall to shield the intake from engine heat. But to be honest I'm not sure you get that much more benefit from a cone filter as a drop in K&N. If it was turbo'd, then I could see the superior benefits of a greater surface area cone filter.

Bottom line, consider a drop in K&N as alternative. Much less work to install, and you retain the cold air set up some Jeep engineer already designed into your Compass.

Last edited by dahozzman; 10-30-2012 at 03:58 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-29-2013, 04:33 PM

Garage
All i fid was remove the resonator that covered my battery terminal on my 2011 compass and i saw and heard a great difference.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I ran a K&N intake on my 2008 Patriot. It was louder however I Noticed an increase in fuel economy. More so than just removing the intake resonator that is connected to the inbox.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Resonators are purposeful, unless you are turbo-charging... cold air is pointless

The Common Misconception
Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.

Read more : What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in