SDM LED conversion tail lights / parkings - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation SDM LED conversion tail lights / parkings

I started replacing regular filament bulbs by the newest SDM Led type bulbs. I tried regular Led replacements, they are piece of junk. After a lot of tries and some money wasted, I came to the conclusion that amber (yellow) are definately not bright enough to replace the oem bulbs. Also, the dual intensity leds (3157/3757) are deceiving because the difference between the low and high modes is hard to see thus becomes dangerous as a car in front would barely see you are flashing at night. In the back it's different since they only flash when turning "on", the low mode isn't used and for brakes, the third brake light help people notice you are braking so it is acceptable.

A couple things to consider:

-don't put white ones in the brakes as they put-out a bluewish white and it looks purple in the red housing, go with red. You must use 6 ohms 50 W resistors for the brakes or strange things will happen, like having the front parkings turning on when braking.

-don't put amber ones in any flashers as they are not bright enough, a lot less than white or red. There are switch back 120 SMD Leds with 80 amber & 40 white leds available on the market, but they are expensive. They would probably be fine as they are white in low mode and amber in the high mode (flashing) so it does a nice contrast when flashing at night as they go from white to amber. I'm thinking about buying a set.

-eBay is a good place to buy, look for sellers in China, Hong Kong, they are usually cheaper. Shop around and compare, you can get pairs of 3157/921 - 68 leds for about $12-18 USD, I paid $5 USD for 2 X 194 - 9 leds --> shipping included.

I decided to put:
- 68 SMD Leds (1210 type) RED 3157 in the tail light flashers
- 30 SMD Leds (5050 type) RED 3157 in the brakes
- 68 SMD Leds (1210 type) WHITE 921 for backups
- 9 SMD Leds (5050 type) WHITE 194 for license plate
- kept regular filament bulbs in the front parkings for now - thinking about switch back ones

note: 921, 194, 2825 are all the same, also 3157 will fit 3757 if you dremel the tabs a little bit - there are none 3757 smd bulbs on the market.

the ones not to buy:

SMD leds:

see how bright are the red flashers (color is truly red, althought it seems yellow on the picture):

backup lights:

license plate:

6 ohms 50w resistors:

FliPPeR
------------
2008 Bright Silver North Edition 4x4 manual trans.

Last edited by flipper; 11-24-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM

Garage
Heck yeah! This is exactly what I have been pondering for the last couple of weeks. I have actually put together a list of LED replacement bulbs to buy from ebay and a more localized place. I have been checking into those switchback bulbs too. Apparently, there are 2 different versions, Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 switches between white and amber and Type 2 turns white completely off and just the amber flashes. However, some Type 2's have a 2 second awkward delay before the white comes back on when the turn signal is turned off, while some turn back to white instantly, the latter is what I want.

So far, I have a complete set for the 2011 Compass priced about $94 from 2 different vendors on Ebay.

The other option I found is a place located in Georgia that I have been given their Reseller Price Code that brings a whole LED Lighting Kit to about $80 shipped.

FYI, here is the list of bulbs for the 2011 if anyone is interested in finding replacement LED's.

Low beam headlamp
H11

High beam headlamp

Fog/Driving light
H11LL (Long Life = slightly lower wattage for small projector fog housing)

Front turn signal
7444NA

Rear turn signal

License plate

Back up light

Dome/Map light
578 (any Festoon bulb 1.75" long)

Front sidemarker

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G
May 2011 Jeep Compass of the Month Winner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

B~~L~~A~~C~~K~~~~N~~I~~G~~H~~T~~L~~I~~N~~G

Last edited by BlackNightling; 11-08-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I know, I'm sorry! I added pictures, sorry for the quality, I did this quickly in my garage a minute ago.

FliPPeR
------------

Last edited by flipper; 11-24-2011 at 03:06 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Those look great, definitely makes a huge difference, nice job on your mod!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 8 Old 11-29-2011, 06:12 AM

Garage
Looks nice. I ordered smds for my backup lights, just waiting for them to come in the mail. I was thinkin of gettin the high number of smds but any with 5. Hope it is bright but after seeing how bright urs r I think I should hav gotten a higher number. I also like the turn signals.
I tried smd fog lights but were dim compared to regular bulbs. Not good for light output but a nice white light.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Garage
I just got my 4 smd backup lights today. I put one in and doesn't look very bright. May have to get a set of the bigger ones.
Flipper- are the longer lights brighter at nite? I only looked at mine during the day but the light comin out of the lens looks very dim. Will wait for nitetime to see how bright.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #8 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My Backup lights are 68 smd led bulbs, they are bright as hell.. For your info, I have put back regular filament bulbs for brake lights, even the 5050 type 30 SMD led bulbs didn't do a good job at night, when the lights are on, the difference when you put the brakes is not enough noticable, it really bugs me. They are really bright on normal mode and are great for flashers only.

If anyone interrested, I have some extra sdm led 3157/3757 bulbs, one set of RED 30 smd led bulbs (5050 type - biggest ones) and a set of AMBER 68 smd led bulbs (1210 type) for sale, they are great for flashers in the back. Let me know. Asking $10 each pair, you pay shipping.

FliPPeR
------------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in