New owner in Geordieland UK - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 Old 01-29-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

New owner in Geordieland UK

Hi folks,
Just traded in my 2008 BMW X3 3.0 Diesel Auto M sport for a brand spanking new 2.2 Diesel Limited 4x4 with U connect sound, sat nav and F and R parking sensors.
Got it Friday......love it, so does Mrs.
Where are these problems?
Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard Graham, nice to see more Brits on here (I'm a Birmingham expat of 3 years), are there many Compass around there?

What colour did you get? I haven't had any problems yet except a bonnet vibration, but lots of other small issues pop up on here

Good luck and enjoy, hope it compares well to the Beemer

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum......Glad you joined in.......WOW..... what a trade a Beamer for a Compass.......please tell us why??

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Welcome to the forum......Glad you joined in.......WOW..... what a trade a Beamer for a Compass.......please tell us why??
Why not?
It'll work in snow and ice
It'll give better mpg
Cheaper insurance
cheaper tyres
cheaper insurance
40000 less miles on the clock
A super 3D sat nav
better sound system
and a Rarity and head turner. There are more BMWs in my town than Fords etc, but not one Jeep Compass, never mind a top of the range one.

I bought a mineral grey car and it looks absolutely stunning as agreed by my mate who happens to own a Porsche Carrera 4S.
PS and I've still got my Merc SLK in the garage for the Summer.
post #5 of 27 Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 PM

Garage
Yeah Jeeps are more of a rarity in the UK and the prices are higher, like European cars in US/Canada are over priced

Grey is a nice colour, was my only other choice but really wanted the red. You must have the 18's and leather? Nice!

My wifes favourite car is an SLK so one day maybe we'll have one of those in the garage for summer too!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #6 of 27 Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDevil79 View Post
Yeah Jeeps are more of a rarity in the UK and the prices are higher, like European cars in US/Canada are over priced

Grey is a nice colour, was my only other choice but really wanted the red. You must have the 18's and leather? Nice!

My wifes favourite car is an SLK so one day maybe we'll have one of those in the garage for summer too!
That's the one.
My BMW had last Winter with me and I curbed it driving out of my side road. I was petrified slipping and sliding about.
My SLK is on a 06 plate. I bought it new and it is in Gold with Tan Nappa seats. only 19K MILES ON THE CLOCK. but I digress.

I drove my new Compass about 40 miles from the garage to home and had the average MPG display set. I was chuffed with the result of 45 mpg and then I realised it had a 6th Gear!. Looking good.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 AM

Garage
Welcome to the club. Nice MPGs, would be nice to have a diesel here to get better mileage. Show us some pics. Also is there a way for you to find out how much a set of the OEM sidemarkers are for the 2007 Compass? I really like them on cars but not many US car have them but are seeing them more.

2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited (black)
2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS (blue)
post #8 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjr8102 View Post
Welcome to the club. Nice MPGs, would be nice to have a diesel here to get better mileage. Show us some pics. Also is there a way for you to find out how much a set of the OEM sidemarkers are for the 2007 Compass? I really like them on cars but not many US car have them but are seeing them more.
The official Jeep route would be from where I got the car
[email protected]

There are plenty of Jeep accessories on Google. best I can do for now mate
post #9 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! Definitely a heck of a trade there but I can certainly understand your reasons, congrats on your Compass, glad to hear you're enjoying it! Any pics you can share? We'd love to see your ride! Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #10 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gumtree 007.jpg (54.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Gumtree 008.jpg (55.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Gumtree 009.jpg (79.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Gumtree 010.jpg (81.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Gumtree 011.jpg (53.1 KB, 212 views)
post #11 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Very nice, love the Mineral Grey, great color choice and thanks for sharing the pics!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #12 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that.
Are there any UK owners of a similar car on here?
What are the most important dos and don'ts?
Any valuable tips about owning and running one?

Be gentle please with the don'ts
post #13 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM

Garage
Looks good Graham, and most likely drives completely different to most of ours! Manual gears and a Merc diesel is a good combo

I saw a UK review a while ago with nice curved side rails, maybe Mopar but not sure (not in Canada that I know of), would look good on yours
First drive: Jeep Compass - Autoblog UK

As for UK users, theres Soon2be, Gil and maybe Davidred5 but they're not frequent posters

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

Last edited by BeDevil79; 01-30-2012 at 11:47 PM.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Jeep UK Customer Service

Before I decided to buy my new Compass I checked out various insurance prices on-line and was quite happy with the quotes of between £250-£300 which I was given. When I purchased the car I was kindly given 7 days Free Insurance by Jeep UK and then they quoted me a very GENEROUS £550 (bloody hell) to continue for a year, which of course I refused.
As my free insurance neared the end I tried to take out my own insurance and picked up the previous on-line quotes. Unfortunately, as I had transferred my private plate to the Compass, when I tried to enter the car's registration 444 GR it kept coming up with my previous BMW as it was still registered to that car by the DVLA.
I therefore found it impossible to get insured despite calling the various insurance companies and explaining the problem.
I rang Jeep Insurance and explained the problem and asked for an EXTRA ONE DAY COVER, which I said I would pay for.

What do you think would have been an appropriate answer?
Can anyone guess what the reply was from Jeep?
post #15 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Garage
Ha, nice challenge. In an ideal world, they should have given you a nice discount on the insurance.

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
2.0l 156bhp
Black
uConnect
Leather Seats
18" Aluminum Rims

Wroclaw, Poland

post #16 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post
Ha, nice challenge. In an ideal world, they should have given you a nice discount on the insurance.
Very good, and this would have been a nice gesture in the circumstances.
However, dare I give a clue and say that you are a little wide of the mark.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 AM

Garage
Oh lordie…did they tell you that extra cover is absolutely impossible and you have to pay 550 quid immediately or they will apply a £1,000 penalty + call in the cops on you?

2.0l 156bhp
Black
uConnect
Leather Seats
18" Aluminum Rims

Wroclaw, Poland

post #18 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh lordie…did they tell you that extra cover is absolutely impossible and you have to pay 550 quid immediately or they will apply a £1,000 penalty + call in the cops on you?

Almost 100% correct, but there was an additional sting in the tail which really got my back up.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM

They don't offer the Diesle engines on the same vehicles here. The want us to burn more gas. I get 28-29MPG (CAN=UK Gallons). Doesn't the MOT do the owners registration for the plates. You'll likely have to visit there office make sure they do the transfer of vehicle correctly.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #20 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus180 View Post
Almost 100% correct, but there was an additional sting in the tail which really got my back up.
OK, this is getting out of hand. Please tell us, I'm quite fascinated by how insane this story is becoming.

2.0l 156bhp
Black
uConnect
Leather Seats
18" Aluminum Rims

Wroclaw, Poland

post #21 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, this is getting out of hand. Please tell us, I'm quite fascinated by how insane this story is becoming.
OK, the next question was "Where is your car now?"
I said "it's on the drive outside my house"
I was then told to "leave it there then"
post #22 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
OK, the next question was "Where is your car now?"
I said "it's on the drive outside my house"
I was then told to "leave it there then"
LOL Well that free insurance. But if your insurance lapses here they hit us hard for being uninsured for a time.

You old insurance on the Beamer does it not automatically cover the new vehicle and you just update the vehicle info and a new rate is generated, done.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #23 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
LOL Well that free insurance. But if your insurance lapses here they hit us hard for being uninsured for a time.

You old insurance on the Beamer does it not automatically cover the new vehicle and you just update the vehicle info and a new rate is generated, done.
I cancelled the BMW insurance as they wanted over £400.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I cancelled the BMW insurance as they wanted over £400.
"I was chuffed with the result..."

Well note to all. Have you new insurance setup and approved for a specified date before sending a cancelation notice out.

I presume the MPG will drop idling in the driveway.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #25 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
"I was chuffed with the result..."

Well note to all. Have you new insurance setup and approved for a specified date before sending a cancelation notice out.

I presume the MPG will drop idling in the driveway.

Chuffed means pleased and I'm not chuffed at all.
I cancelled the BMW insurance as I was never going to pay the extra. I could easily have just sat on my thumbs and paid either the BMW and the Jeep Insurance companies but I would rather have the extra money in my pocket for the same cover.
I have raised the bar just a bit and have now involved the Chrysler UK Directorate.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Chuffed means pleased and I'm not chuffed at all.
I cancelled the BMW insurance as I was never going to pay the extra. I could easily have just sat on my thumbs and paid either the BMW and the Jeep Insurance companies but I would rather have the extra money in my pocket for the same cover.
I have raised the bar just a bit and have now involved the Chrysler UK Directorate.
Yeap, I know what Chuffed meant. LOL I couldn't help it. LOL

The insurance company you're using now or trying to. Why can't the apply the insurance to a vehicle you officially own. You do have the ownership. As far as the plates thats another issue once resolved for driving down the road. I've never been asked for the license plates here ever. All they want is the VIN number period without insurance you won't have theft coverage or compressive either.

If the dealer did not process the owership properly you'll likely need to get a letter from them indicating a error with the MOT or what ever the vehicle registration office is called.

Buggered aren't you...chin up...its got to get resolved.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #27 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeap, I know what Chuffed meant. LOL I couldn't help it. LOL

The insurance company you're using now or trying to. Why can't the apply the insurance to a vehicle you officially own. You do have the ownership. As far as the plates thats another issue once resolved for driving down the road. I've never been asked for the license plates here ever. All they want is the VIN number period without insurance you won't have theft coverage or compressive either.

If the dealer did not process the owership properly you'll likely need to get a letter from them indicating a error with the MOT or what ever the vehicle registration office is called.

Buggered aren't you...chin up...its got to get resolved.
It's all different over here...we drive on the left, lol.

The Director of Jeep Insurance UK who was trying to blackmail me into taking out the overpriced insurance all the while, is going to be named and shamed now. He is a real nasty so and so who talked to me as if I was a piece of dog dirt on his shoe in all of this. His name is NICK GOLDEN ( very appropriate name for sure for one so greedy). He works for the Underwriters ZENITH Insurance in the UK and is, as he told me the most Senior person in the UK to deal with. In view of the diabolical treatment I received from him, I'm chasing him for an apology.
Whether it comes or not is another matter of course, but I will keep at it tooth and nail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in