wanted to say hello - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

wanted to say hello

Hello Jeep Compass world. i join this forum about 3 weeks ago, after my wife and I got our 2009 Compass. ever since then i have been reading and learn about the car. this site is great and i have been going crazy trying to price all the things i want to do to the compass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

i also had a question i have been doing some research and i wanted to add an air intake. do the chrome air intake not need a plate to divide it from the engine like the K&N plastic one?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Great question. I have wondered the same thing. In my opinion I would go with the K&N for that very reason. Seems to me that the air would be a few degrees cooler and more important less likely to inhale water during rain or water crossings. On the other hand mopar has a performance intake with no shield.

Any other thoughts fellow forum dwellers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 08-11-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks, and thats why i am asking. there are more intakes without a shield, and at a cheaper price. is it the pipe or the air filter that makes the most difference?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
DMZ

I just have the K&N Filter (35.00)and does what I need it do.. More Air! If you want to spend 250.00 or more for the whole kit.. go for it.. but save your money!

I just switched to E3 spark plugs...hmm
Rumor has it they give you a little more HP also..

we'll see!!

Have Fun Out There!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 AM

Air Intake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniomz View Post
i also had a question i have been doing some research and i wanted to add an air intake. do the chrome air intake not need a plate to divide it from the engine like the K&N plastic one?
Anton - you don't need the heat shield for any air intake. The only thing that it really does is block off some of the heat from your engine going into your intake. Yes it helps a lot, could mean the difference between the air going into your engine is 100 degrees compaired to 115...

Just "More Air" isn't really enough. The point of a "Cold Air Intake" is to, 1: Add more air flow trough your throttle body into your engine. But most importantly 2: Bring down the temp. of the air entering your engine, thus condensing the gas vapors into more of a liquid to be ignited more easily (also another reason that an air intake addition sees better gas mileage) so the gas vapors are not wasted.

And another additional note for all looking at an air intake....
** If you can't find one for your Compass - look for intake on the Non-SRT4 Dodge Caliber 2.4l engine... it's the same engine and the intakes from the Caliber R/T will work on our Compass'
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 PM

Well the true reason you want a cold air intake is because cold air is denser, which would bring more oxygen into the engine, resulting in more power. As for your second question anton, it's a little of both. The bigger the opening that air can be sucked through, the easier it is to bring in more air (usually) and a bigger pipe could then handle more air moving through it.

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in