New Owner in SK, Canada - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
New Owner in SK, Canada

I had been trying to post here forever but my account was ďjustĒ approved yesterday after waiting over a month, anyways.

I traded in my 2008 FDII Jeep Patriot north edition, and picked up a 2012 Jeep compass Limited FDII. I made the jump from a patriot to a compass mainly on the looks ÖÖ. with the redesign in 2011 it really does look like a Grand Cherokee from the front, and as one person commented on, like a ford edge from the rear. I donít know where to start but Iím absolutely in love with this new jeep.

When I bought my Patriot almost 4 years ago it was my first new vehicle purchase and I wasnít too concerned with the options I wanted other than having the FDII option. I then found that I was longing to add things in the aftermarket, which while fun was also a bit of a pain in the ass. So I told myself if and when I buy another vehicle I will get everything I want so I donít have to add things later on. And here we are today with a red 2012 Compass Limited FDII with every option you can get.

I was not really planning on purchasing a new vehicle, but when my patriotís cvt started to go out, I decided to get rid of it sooner rather than later. IĒve always wanted a grand Cherokee but at this point in my life while I can afford it, I donít need it I donít go off road as much anymore and Iím single with no kids, so the extra size wasnít really needed. I drove a new compass limited (no FDII) and I was hooked, if anyone is wondering Jeep really has worked on these MKís.

Right off the bat the cvt is a big change; it really has been recalibrated to actually feel like more of a conventional automatic, especially when you start to drive it hard. It takes less effort on the gas pedal to get faster acceleration. Also from a standstill if you go full throttle there is less of a delay before the jeep really takes off, I noticed the jeep just feeling generally faster over all. I actually now have to be careful since its winter here and accelerating fast. With my other patriot unless it was really icey taking off from a roll around 30-40kms/h I never spun the tires, with my new compass it really takes off and Iíve had to catch myself from doing some 4 wheel drifts. Donít get me wrong it doesnít feel like a race car but there is a significant different compared to my old patriot. Another thing I may have noticed (I say may because it could be placebo) is that the awd system (when in the awd mode) seems to be smoother and seamless and transferring power around, my older one seems to be a lot more rough and jerky (also could be because of the dying cvt)

Not too much to comment on looks wise as it is personal preference, but I think it looks great. I never had a chance to get comparison pictures but my 08 FDII was noticeably lower than this 2012 FDII when I dropped it off at the dealership. This compass seems that itís lifted a lot higher than other models, I'm kicking myself for not measuring anything before putting on my larger tires, but it did sit higher than my old patriot with the 18" rims on. With my 225/75/16 tires on now I have measured 11.6" of clearance, which is a gain of an inch i believe when I had my old patriot. From looking at other FDI compass and patriots the FDII's seem to be an inch higher.

The interior is wayyyyy nicer, coming from a 2008 itís totally new to me. Soft touch surfaces and the illuminated window switches are nice, as are the illuminated cup holders. The seats are also a lot softer than my 08; salesman said the Yes essential seats were harder than normal (which I had in my old pat). Both the front and back seats are plusher, and while I may be seeing things the rear bench seems to have more depth. The rear hatch is different but to be expected vs a patriot, I donít really haul much so the reduction in cargo space isnít that big of a deal.

I have the RHB (I think) nav radio along with the sun and sound package with the Boston acoustics speakers. In my old patriot, I had replaced the factory radio with a Sony head unit, and then the 4 door speakers with Kenwood 6x9ís, I then had a Jeep patriot memember make me a custom sub box for the rear where the cubby hole was. It was a great setup and sounded great with lots of bass.

The BA system seems to have a more clear sound, although not as much bass, it does sort of rattle a bit when you crank up the bass, but thatís only because all the low frequencies are running through the door speakers and the sub, if there was a way to isolate the door speakers bass from the sub Iím sure that would fix the issue. To fix the bass problem I installed a kicker 10Ē L3 sub (800w/400w pk/rms) sub in the rear area, so I now can turn the bass right down on the stock speakers and still get great sounding bass. All I did was use the speaker level inputs on the amp to get a signal to the amp, while this isnít the best method I havenít found any problems doing it this way. Also just tapped an ignition wire to get the amp to turn on since Iím
using the original headunit with no changes.

As far as modifications go I hadnít really planned on doing a whole lot, my previous patriot had aftermarket driving lights full led conversion (front rear and interior) K&N air intake, and a few other small things.

But after having my compass for 2 months the mods have started
I will be reusing my 225/75/16 tires for the winter on my compass, They are 225/75/16 Wrangler Territory tires, work awesome in the snow and mud, although they are LT tires and a bit on the heavy side.

I also sold the original tires and wheels the 2nd day after I bought my jeep, I really wanted chrome wheels however you couldnít get the 18Ē wheels with the FDII package. I found someone with 18Ē dodge caliber chrome wheels, so I picked those up and put 225/60/18 tires on, I had run 225/55/18 on my previous patriot in the summer but found they looked a bit too small in the wheel wells. The 225/60/18 fill them up quite nicely, and do not rub
I have replaced the rear backup lights and signal lights with 12W led bulbs from www.autolumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs I also had bought ledís for the front signal lights, however I screwed up and bought 7440 bulbs instead of 7443 bulbs so once I get that sorted out Iíll have the front signal lights converted as well.
I have also replaced my interior bulbs with led bulbs as well.

Well this has been a long winded post but I wanted to share my experiences with a new MK so that anyone thinking about upgrading from a prior year to a new one could be a little more informed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Garage
do those 225 75 r16 rub at all?

2011 70th Anniversary Jeep Compass -Black
RRO Lift Kit
20mm Ichiba Spacers on Rear
235 65 17 r Radial Wild Country tires
17'' Obsidian Rims Matte Black 38 offset
FDII facia
tow hooks
skid plates

SOON TO PUT ON:
RRO Super Slidder
bfg at ko tires
post #3 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes the 225/75/16 do rub, its not alot but it still does rub just before full lock on each side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
holy crap just realized you are in SK, where abouts
post #5 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Garage
yea iv got 235 65 17 on mine right now and they do rub a little at full lock, just going to get rid of them tho so i can take off my wheel spacers on the rear. hoping that the 225 70r16 tires i plan to put on my 2" lifted compass will still have the same look i have now

they will be bfg at ko

RRO Lift Kit
FDII facia
tow hooks
skid plates

SOON TO PUT ON:
RRO Super Slidder
bfg at ko tires
post #6 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Garage
YORKTON (right now)lol you?

RRO Lift Kit
FDII facia
tow hooks
skid plates

SOON TO PUT ON:
RRO Super Slidder
bfg at ko tires
post #7 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Garage
Welcome Tyler, nice to see another cherry red

I like your winters, looks smart - those are painted Patriot 16's? That's what I wanted to use but couldn't stretch to it this year

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Ok, well I see they've put front and rear tow hooks on them now. Its good if you want to pull or drag something. Nothing on mine but I have a CLASS III hitch to tie onto the rear at least.

Yorton, I used to go down to Foam Lake decades ago now uncles on the farms south of there. You 've go no snow. Ha ha and we didn't get any either this year. I was looking forward to snowmobiling but 90% my yard was grass. I'll go for a ride around on the lawn mower to make up for it.

PS: I like that colour. Same as mine it appears. My wife likes RED and I am ok with it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I"m in Saskatoon

The black rims I have are painted 16" wheels the base model Patriots get.

I was pretty involved with the jeeppatriot.com forums with my old patriot, although with my new jeep I probably won't abuse it as bad as I did my other one,

pics of old patriot

If anyone is interested I have a large collection of videos (mostly patriot so far on my youtube channel

TnTTyler's Channel - YouTube
post #10 of 15 Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 AM

Garage
I moved over from 2009 Patriot, no regrets I prefer the Compass, although better off road modding community for Patriot by the looks of it!

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #11 of 15 Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 AM

Garage
how do you think it will look?

here is 225 70r16 bfg at ko against my 235 65 17

RRO Lift Kit
FDII facia
tow hooks
skid plates

SOON TO PUT ON:
RRO Super Slidder
bfg at ko tires
post #12 of 15 Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 AM

Garage
I like those tires, will look ace! What rims did you pick?

Traded for '13 Ford Edge

post #13 of 15 Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 AM

Garage
16x7 matte black enkei edr9 38 offset

they should look pretty close to the ones on now

RRO Lift Kit
FDII facia
tow hooks
skid plates

SOON TO PUT ON:
RRO Super Slidder
bfg at ko tires
post #14 of 15 Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
the 225/70/16 should look good, you'll have to let me know if they rub or not, which dealership put the RRO lift kit on, after all the suspension work I had to my previous patriot, while under warranty i'm not sure I want to chance having them say the lift kit contributed to the suspension failing (which has been a weak point on mk's)
post #15 of 15 Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Garage
my dealer that sold it to me they do all sorts of lifts on big dodge trucks etc.
(yorkton dodge)

im assuming the 225 70 16's wont rub as the ones i have now do a little bit so this should fix it

RRO Lift Kit
FDII facia
tow hooks
skid plates

SOON TO PUT ON:
RRO Super Slidder
bfg at ko tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in