hope to own a compass - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

hope to own a compass

i have been looking at this forum to see if the compass is for me. i live in brisbane australia and have had a good look at 2013 2.4 cvt 4x4. i have a caravan 1175 kg. to tow. it looks like it will tow it ok. i will keep searching the forum for advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 AM

welcome.. i also new here ,i am also lokking for some inforations about the compass. maybe we can share something and disscuss it about buying the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrail View Post
i have been looking at this forum to see if the compass is for me. i live in brisbane australia and have had a good look at 2013 2.4 cvt 4x4. i have a caravan 1175 kg. to tow. it looks like it will tow it ok. i will keep searching the forum for advice.
I definitely say no. Way too heavy. 1000lbs or 454kg is max. It can be modified with an option for the engine for additional cooling but with your hot climated it won't make a big difference. NOTE the CVT will not like towing in your climates hot heat nor with that weight. Its very likely blow it and they're expensive to replace. The CVT cannot be cooled with any external cooler as its a closed system.

You'd need a regular automatic which you can add an up front transmission cooler for towing is a must.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

thanks tripplec, the compass and patriot in australia , 2.4 4x4 cvt has a towing limit of 1500kg [3306 lb] and tow ball weight of 150kg [330 lb]. i have weighted front of caravan and have 105kg [231 lb]. i have been towing the van with a nissan xtrail with the same specs , with no problems. any more advice would be helpfull.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrail View Post
thanks tripplec, the compass and patriot in australia , 2.4 4x4 cvt has a towing limit of 1500kg [3306 lb] and tow ball weight of 150kg [330 lb]. i have weighted front of caravan and have 105kg [231 lb]. i have been towing the van with a nissan xtrail with the same specs , with no problems. any more advice would be helpfull.
I don't understand how they can get it that high in the rating. In North America (Canada) the same power train and I have the same setup as you indicate is only 1000lbs out of the dealer. If you add the optional COOLER it only adds another 1000lbs and note that its a cooler for the engine oil not the CVT fluid. You still have a weak transmission in these. There are not built to lug and tow with. Being new let me tell you the suspension, front end components and power train are exactly the same as a Dodge Calibre (they just put different skin over it all and make some other changes) They also offer the FDII CVT for it and the Patriot which is the same as well underneath. This is a car born and bread as a car pretending to be an SUV.

The xtrail is in a much much higher end class of SUV and built from the ground up as an SUV. Now back to weight. How even at your local temperature they can ask the same vehicle to pull and addition 1300lbs over our maxium with all the options does not make sense. I have a Grand cherokee and even with that weight it would be really working on the highway. As for the Compass when its pulling even light loads the CVT automatically is running high RPM's due to the load it sees on the highway. Gas millage go down hard and fast even with an empty 6.5ft x 6.5ft light box trailer due to wind drag mostly. You can test one towing unfortunately but going in with eyes wide open is important. Mine were not fully operating it seems somehow.

I would check very carefully with a dealer on the towing points and how can it handle it when in North America we cannot even come close to that approved weight.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks tripplec, this is the australian web site Compare Models - Compass look at towing. this is what i have been told and worked out. if you have the 2.4 engine and 4x4 you have 1500kgs . with the cvt im not sure about, i was told the 2014 model is getting a normal auto which could solve this problem. thanks again
post #7 of 10 Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM

I do have the CVT 4x4 2.4L model.

Your link shows the Sport model towing at 1200kg while the Limited is a bit higher for some reason. A standard transmission would be much better suited for that applicatoin or wait for the newer model without the CVT they can be a real pain if not working right.

Follow-Up
I looked at our local Jeep website and it still indicated a Maxium 2000lbs withthe "Tow Pre Package" This is on the 2.4L 4x4 configuratoin. I would not try that when temperatures is near 30C or higher. That CVT transmission must be running very hot. My other vehicles with a automatic also have a transmission cooler in front of the rad core as every hard working vehicle should have. Unfortunately this cannot be done with that design.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 07-11-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added local rating info on current builds
post #8 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM

My first tow with some weight

You might want to read this which I just posted.
http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...ng-my-atv.html

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the review. did your trailer have brakes, over here anything over 750kg has to have brakes fitted. my caravan has electric brakes fitted and the xtrail has a brake controler. when the brakes are applied on the car there is no extra pushing on the car as the caravan brakes slow both car and caravan
post #10 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM

No e-brakes on small trailers. I believe 2000lbs and above have e-brakes but up to 1500lbs for sure does not since I've had many snowmobile trailers and they're rated for 1500lb for sure. I know how they work and have towed them many years ago.

I miss the lugging that an automatic has similar to a manual. The transmission stays in the gear letting the engine work harder pulling and not shifting unnecessarily. The CVT just revs up with more load and trottle and pulling is poor because of this. I wonder if it would Red Line the engine with a 1500lb trailer load.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in