My Compass, it's starting out as a love-hate relationship - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

My Compass, it's starting out as a love-hate relationship

I traded my Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia edition on my new Compass. It was the end of the lease and since my commute to work was increased to 63 miles one way, I decided to look for something a little less thristy than the Grand Cherokee, on which I was averaging 17mpg (american).

I love this little car. (it is a car platform, just to be accurate). The one I chose is the limited edition, with the BA sound system, sunroof and a remote starter.

I have a Toyota Echo which will be up for sale soon. While the gas mileage is awsome (40mpg) It's standard shift and, due to a rare form of arthritis I have, I can't drive stick anymore; it's too painfull.

The Compass is like the Grand Cherokee and the Echo getting together to have a baby. The Compass handles like the Toyota yet, goes in the snow (most of the time, later) like a jeep.

The sound system is amazing and I am getting hooked on the Sirus Radio. It did get stuck in the snow a few days ago. The worst part was, It was in 2 inches of snow. Apparently if you happen to drive on something reallly slick. The car refuses to go. NONE of the wheels will turn.

I engaged the 4WD lock; nothing. I disengaged the 4WD lock; nothing. I turned off the ESC; nothing. I turned on the 4WD with the ESC off. nothing. My big brusing stepson pushed the car off the slippery snow and I managed to get it to the dealer, but not after calling for a tow truck. It was that stuck.

The dealer changed the oil, tested the car and told me everything checked out ok.

Now for the bad part! :evil:

My average MPG has been 19. That is not a misprint. My first day out on the road with this car was a 225 mile trip to Western Pennsylvania. This was all Turnpike driving. I filled the tank prior to leaving and BARELY made it to New Stanton PA, my destination. The car was sniffing fumes! I filled the tank with 12.5 US gallons of fuel. I could not believe my eyes! I had a window sticker in the glove box that state 23 city and 27 highway mpg.

I figured maybe the car needs to be broken in. I am still waiting for that break in period to end. My last fill-up today revealed 18.1 mpg. Is anyone having the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 04:13 AM

With you gas mileage, the speed that you are driving at has an effect. Some where here there is a discussion about gas mileage. Do a quick search of the forums and it will explain more.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 04:14 AM
ACX

Our mileage has been only OK, which I expect to remedy itself when the motor breaks in.. That being said I notice mileage falls off sharply as the speed goes up.

Hope your luck improves, we've had no issues..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 AM

We have just over 3000 km on ours. On Sunday we took a run to Owen Sound, about 200 km. We averaged 9.2l/100km, at an average speed
of 100 - tried to keep the revs close to 2000. If they get higher, the
consumption goes up quickly. I'm looking forward to getting the snow
tires off, to see how it does with hgwy tires.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 10:31 PM

I have the same problem. In the city I was down to 18 mpg. I recently took a road trip & got up to 23 mpg (mostly driving btwn 60 mph - 80 mph). My complaint is that my city driving does not involve a lot of stop & go driving, but there are a lot of curves.

I'm not sure how true this is, however, I was recently informed that the way manufacturers test the mileage is to drive on a straight, smooth road for about 1 mile. I am tempted to believe this considering the sales tag on my Compass 4x2, manual, stated 26 in the city & 30 on the hwy.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 PM
ACX

I noticed that 2 things really make mileage go down very fast on the highway - not using cruise (because with the CVT the revs seem to wander quite rapidly if your foot does as well and fast speeds.

On a recent highway trip I got ~9.9 l /100kms, but was moving pretty bloody fast - 125 km / h (78mph).

I would think if I lowered my speed to 70mph, I'd see pretty respectable improvements..

I can't blame the compass on that. This mileage is similar to what I hear from comparable SUV / CUV drivers I work with who drive other branded vehicles.

In my truck I usually cruise at 80mph, but I don't pay for diesel in it. :lol:
post #7 of 7 Old 03-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Re: My Compass, it's starting out as a love-hate relationshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjet6
I traded my Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia edition on my new Compass. It was the end of the lease and since my commute to work was increased to 63 miles one way, I decided to look for something a little less thristy than the Grand Cherokee, on which I was averaging 17mpg (american).

I love this little car. (it is a car platform, just to be accurate). The one I chose is the limited edition, with the BA sound system, sunroof and a remote starter.

I have a Toyota Echo which will be up for sale soon. While the gas mileage is awsome (40mpg) It's standard shift and, due to a rare form of arthritis I have, I can't drive stick anymore; it's too painfull.

The Compass is like the Grand Cherokee and the Echo getting together to have a baby. The Compass handles like the Toyota yet, goes in the snow (most of the time, later) like a jeep.

The sound system is amazing and I am getting hooked on the Sirus Radio. It did get stuck in the snow a few days ago. The worst part was, It was in 2 inches of snow. Apparently if you happen to drive on something reallly slick. The car refuses to go. NONE of the wheels will turn.

I engaged the 4WD lock; nothing. I disengaged the 4WD lock; nothing. I turned off the ESC; nothing. I turned on the 4WD with the ESC off. nothing. My big brusing stepson pushed the car off the slippery snow and I managed to get it to the dealer, but not after calling for a tow truck. It was that stuck.

The dealer changed the oil, tested the car and told me everything checked out ok.

Now for the bad part! :evil:

My average MPG has been 19. That is not a misprint. My first day out on the road with this car was a 225 mile trip to Western Pennsylvania. This was all Turnpike driving. I filled the tank prior to leaving and BARELY made it to New Stanton PA, my destination. The car was sniffing fumes! I filled the tank with 12.5 US gallons of fuel. I could not believe my eyes! I had a window sticker in the glove box that state 23 city and 27 highway mpg.

I figured maybe the car needs to be broken in. I am still waiting for that break in period to end. My last fill-up today revealed 18.1 mpg. Is anyone having the same problem?
Do you have snow tires on your car? If not that's probably why you got stuck.

Consumer Reports rates the Compass @ 22 MPG (Mixed Use) in their Real World Tests.

EPA Tests are BS:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx? ... id=4023458

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in