Couldnt Wait Any Longer - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Couldnt Wait Any Longer

I bought a 2008 Ford Escape XLT 4x4. Better Financing and rebate and a newer model year made it easy to walk away from the compass. The v-6 didnt hurt either and regular automatic transmission sold me in the end.

I'm not going to rant on about my ford here tho - I will always be a compass fan tho. They are really under-appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
ACX

hope you enjoy it. The 08s look pretty good.

When I was looking even with rebates, the escape was more money with less options, and the v6 wasn't that great for power, nd poor for fuel economy...
post #3 of 13 Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

$$$

It was more money...but it had everything i wanted including a trailer hitch installed. I read a few posts on the patriot where they had to cut into the bumper to installed the hitch. Not something I wanted to do to my new Ride...I was leaning towards the patriot. I kept debating CVT vs. Manual when all I wanted was a real automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Re: Couldn't wait any longer

Sad to see you deicded against the Compass, but sometimes, one just needs a car, and the cost of trying to maintain an older one while you wait, well, you just have to do what you have to do. Ford does look like they are trying to make a comeback, and putting out some decent vehicles. Good luck with it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #5 of 13 Old 03-02-2007, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

BINGO

Bingo Cherokee....I went in not expecting to get a car but rather to repair one. I traded in my car that needed 1200 bucks in repair (1999 model) and walked out with a new rig.

Worked out good since I saw it and had to have it.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Well you had to do what you had to do!!

I hope your ford treats you well!!
post #7 of 13 Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Administrator

couldn't wait...

I definitely understand. Well, at thanks at least for sharing the good news with us anyway, and good luck! At least you gave the Compass a heck of a shot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #8 of 13 Old 03-03-2007, 02:46 AM

We also considered the Escape (07 model) but they have a horrible reputation for reliability (transmission problems). Plus it was a few thousand $ more than the Compass.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-04-2007, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Ironic

Ironically it was the CVT tranny that i couldnt get comfortable with and lack of manual transmission that led me to look else where. I probably would be in one today if they rolled out the manual transmission with out having to special order one.

As far as the escape transmission goes if you sell a million of a type of car/truck/suv its gonna have gremlins but if you sell that many your also proven; and there will failures with certain things in each model no matter what - 2007 escapes had 4 wheel disc brakes but they switched back to disc/drums due probably to the 4 wheel disc setup having some problems too. I was also concerned with buying a complete new model with unknown issues but not overly so.

I hope the CVT2 proves to be a solid transmission for the compass/patriot/caliber my main beef with it was the noise of the higher rpm it used. I know this is where the power band it and its doing the right thing - I just couldn't get past it.

As far as price goes the msrp of the 08 escape is quite a bit cheaper then the 2007 models they are replacing. Also financing at the jeep dealer is awful. The sales man said to not even bother with it - probably hoping i would bite on a liberty . This made the lower finaning with ford seem like a bargain. I saved 4 grand in financing but paid 3000 more for the ford compared to the jeep..hmm i can live with that (payments amounts per month work out nearly identical.) I hate overpaying on interest. Hopefully in the coming months jeep canada can lower this from 6.8 thats just awful.

I took some pics for another board:
http://fofhl.no-ip.info/Menu/escape.html
page is just 6 pics on my server
post #10 of 13 Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM
ACX

I've seen several open stock 5 speed compasses here. There was one at the dealer in fact when I picked up the disco inferno. :lol:
post #11 of 13 Old 03-04-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

5 sp.

niice...the only one i have heard of nearbye was a very basic front wheel drive model. Dont think it had the north package.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM
ACX

4k saved on financing? did they give you .9% financing or something? If so that is a nice rate.

We had my g/fs civic which was paid off, as well as some other money down, so we put 10k down on the compass to start so the financing end wasn't as much of an issue.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

yup

well it was 1.9% vs. 6.8% on the jeep. I didnt have ANY to put down with a new baby and renovations going on. Kinda an odd time to buy a car but thats the way it had to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in