Bout ye from Norn Iron (Hello from Northern Ireland) - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bout ye from Norn Iron (Hello from Northern Ireland)

just a note to say Hi. Traded a Hyundai Tucson for a new Compass with the VW Diesel power plant. Having quite a few problems. Bought it on a Friday and it wouldn't start on the Sunday. Non franchise dealer, but they fitted a new battery as soon as they got it from the local Jeep dealer. Now there is an intermittent fault with the starter not engaging with the ring gear. Of course when I take it to the dealer it behaves itself. Now there is a thud sometimes when the starter engages, so it's booked into the non franchise dealer for a few days to see if they can sort it out. Also 35mpg, so not what you would expect, but I am reliabily informed that it can take up to
5000 miles for the engine to bed in, so 2500 miles to go. Apart from all of that, it is a great car to drive with great torque.......... lots of power through the 6 gears. I will keep you informed of the outcome over the next couple of weeks.
By the way............ happy St Patricks from Ireland. Raff

Last edited by raff; 03-19-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM

Hi Raff would love to have the diesel here in the US. Sounds like the starter tension may not be set correctly.

Anyway welcome to the forum and keep us informed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Hi Raff would love to have the diesel here in the US. Sounds like the starter tension may not be set correctly.

Anyway welcome to the forum and keep us informed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Well first off, welcome to the forum and congrats on your Compass, just sorry to hear you are having so many problems right off the bat like that. Not too sure about the starter issue, that one's kinda got me, but good luck at the dealership and definitely keep us posted on the outcome. I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #5 of 12 Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hanx (thanks, in Norn Iron speak) for the welcome. Car is booked in for a few days on Thur 25th, so here's hoping. Yep, enjoying the craic and banter.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update. Car is now at Jeep main dealer. I was contacted today to say that a new starter motor and ring gear to be fitted, and they will take a week to come from America.
Selfridge, this sounds like your problem.......... and the solution.

Raff.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Hi Raff,
Yep, sounds like it alright. Hopefully yours is still covered under warranty! (Mine isn't anymore) Good luck. you may see me slip 'up north' from time to time as I spend most weekends in the Cavan/Monaghan area testing the supension on the potholes!!
post #8 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi dselfridge,
I'm up in Omagh, Tyrone. The car is still in Hurst's in Belfast.
Yes thankfully it's still under warranty. Starter is still on back order, now from Germany !!!
I contacted main dealer last week and they agreed that 3 weeks in their yard was unaceptable. I contacted Jeep UK yesterday and spoke to a faceless monotone twat. Everytime I asked her a question she put me on hold to get an answer ??? Appearantly if the car is towed into the dealer you are entitled to a loaner, but if you book the car in and the fault is discovered, your not ???!!!
Aw well maybe next week.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Garage
Tell the FM-Twat - - - BAD PR!

Her response is not acceptable.
NO WAY a dealership can leave you without a car FOR THREE WEEKS without a loaner!
Starter on back order in Germany?
Poppy-****, not your problem, they could pull one from an unsold vehicle in inventory to get you back on the road.
Good luck!

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe View Post
Her response is not acceptable.
NO WAY a dealership can leave you without a car FOR THREE WEEKS without a loaner!
Starter on back order in Germany?
Poppy-****, not your problem, they could pull one from an unsold vehicle in inventory to get you back on the road.
Good luck!
No kidding, I agree 100%, and I've seen them do it, pull parts from other vehicles to fix the ones they have and get them out of there. All I can say raff is you either have more patience than me or are just a nicer fellow lol, but by now I'd be raising some serious stink!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #11 of 12 Old 04-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Garage
My sister took her alero into the chev dealership once to get the heads replaced and they told her a week but they would give her a loaner car. She took the loaner and when they called a few days later and told her they needed it back for someone else she told them she'd bring it back when her car is fixed. They flew the parts in and sent someone to pick them up. It was fixed the next day.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 PM

Hi Welcome,

Well this is just a intro section so I will just point you to another starter issue from a UK owner here and you should start a thread in one of the other sections.
http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2014

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in