New compass ordered... worries... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

New compass ordered... worries...

Hey guys... I went to the dealership last week, looking for a car that met my needs, all wheel drive, for the snowy days, and days on the beach, in the sand, but it had to have good gas mileage, I drive on average 55 miles per day, on a tight budget, which leads me to price, I ended up getting what I wanted for $19,821 including destination, and the rebate... a Black sport, with the supplemental air bags, 9 speaker sound system, stock cd player (need the jack) darker slate interior, with the power equipment group, A/C, and the CVT. Everything I needed, and wanted... I'm stoked... liked everything about it, price was right, and I like the styling, should be here in 8 weeks or so.... great! then... I come home and search for a group much like this one, instead of the fan clubs, there was absolute hate... I also learned that this model has not sold very well... every review I saw attacked this vehicle... I don't know why... I'm sort of regreting buying it, not because I don't like it, the one I drove was pretty nice... and won out over all others... One review said that the person who designed this vehicle beat it with an ugly stick... I just don't feel like explaining myself to the haters... who would turn around and play up the patriot.... which is esentially the same car, with a boxy exterior, have you had anybody say anything to you about your compass?

Thanks!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2007, 07:03 PM
kwc

I have had nothing but compliments about my Compass. I wouldn't worry too much about what some of the reviews have said ... it's what YOU like, not what they liked or disliked that matters most. If the Compass you ordered is what you really wanted, and it seems that way, then stick with it. It's a nice solid vehicle, and I have been extremely happy with it.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 PM

I don't have a compass yet however i do plan on ordering one soon. So I've read all the same reviews you have, test drove the vehicle, and then found some forums where i got real world feedback.

I would suggest you take a look at this
http://autos.yahoo.com/jeep_compass-...5G18cAcxtMCNAF
To me the "Professional Reviewers" need to be taken with a grain of salt. It's the people that bought the vehicle and own it, those are the people that i want to hear from.

Even if a "pro review" was completly unbiased, and had no agenda besides absolute truth. You are still dealing with personal taste issues like astetics.

My advice would be, if you like the car and got a good deal. You have chosen wisely.

As far as defending a vehicle.. I bought a Subaru Baha a couple years back, i still drive it and it's a fantastic auto. I get the snickers from the Dodge Truck owners that could put my entire vehicle in there truck bed. I still get the odd glances as people stare at my car with the WTF? look, not even bothering to disguse there amusment. But after the first couple times, you start to not care. It just does'nt matter to me anymore what a complete stranger thinks about me or my car. They can piss up a rope if they don't like it. And i'll laugh at those driving around in a Dodge Hemi monster trucks with the truck bed perpetually empty. And laugh even more as i pass them while they are filling up at every gas station they see.

I don't know if any of this helps. But my guess is you'll love the car when it arrives, and any doubts will quickly disapeer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys... it does make me feel better. I remember when the PT cruiser came out... it was a love it, hate it car... this may just be one of them. I originally fell in love because my friend's ex had one, who had 20" black rims, with the black limited, but he later painted the bumpers, and side, the same candy coated black, he also tinted the back, and front side lights, which made it look really nice, less harsh... I didn't know what it was until last week, at the dealership. I've heard a lot of comparisons to the Aztec... about what a failure this model will be... mainly because of the front bumper being so "Ugly!" (The way I feel about the dodge front end...) but I was looking at the 08' liberty... and it looks almost identical... so its obviously the way they feel they need to go. Hey, if they do discontinue this car, at least it'll be unique... I do regret not waiting to see what they'll offer on the 08'... but I have plans on customizing it a little anyway.

I think my problem was, this is my first truly new car. I've had plenty of used cars (I swore I'd never buy new... to expensive, and the value drops by 25% the second you drive off the lot...) IDK... I like it... I should be happy with that.

I did look seriously at the patriot... but they reminded me of the newer scion xbs.... not my style... 8 weeks and counting I guess.....
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2007, 11:55 PM

Hey,

Wow you sound exactly like me!! I swore to never buy a new car for the same reasons, but then I saw the driving television episode where they reviewed the Compass and I loved it, had to have one!! And I am picky, so I had to get new for all the stuff I wanted and very limited selection of used.

As for the people not liking it, it's Jeep's best selling vehicle right now I'm told. I think most people criticize it for not being a typical "jeep", however, I think this was a great move for Jeep. This vehicle really appeals to a new market, people who would not have bought a Jeep before, at least it did for me.

I don't know how people think this vehicle is ugly, the styling is really nice, and modern. I was looking at an equinox, but the styling is way too outdated.

I'm no market researcher, but I think this vehicle will do great once it becomes more known. The commercials I thought were ineffective and didn't even focus on the vehicle itself. I didn't even notice the commercials until i saw the driving television episode. I think this vehicle will do well once people see it on the road wondering what it is, and realize what a great price it is for what you're getting.

For $30,000 Canadian, what can u get with 4 wheel drive, leather seats, fully loaded, really safe, and a nice small SUV great on gas?? I think we made a great choice
post #6 of 8 Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Welcome, CompassMan. First, I have received nothing but compliments on my Compass since I got it. Second, as I have said elsewhere, I have never been one to go along with what may be considered to be popular opinion. I am a very big fan of the movie "GI Jane," and there is one line in that movie that I use quite regularly, "If I want your opinion, I will give it to you."
Granted, there have been nothing but denigrating and scathing remarks made about the Compass, but if we all listened to what "they" say, then where would we be?
If you are happy with your choice, then I say roll with it, and you will not be disappointed, as it is a GREAT car, and well worth the time and money spent.
I liked it in black, also, looked kind of stylish, but opted for Silver instead.
Anyway, hope you enjoy it, and good luck!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 AM

duuuuuude......when i told all my friends that i was getting a compass they started laughing at me, i swear....the second i rolled up in it I shut them up...they were impressed to see how fun the car actually is and how its like a car but with that SUV versatility.....and first of all its what you like and not what other like.....so happy motoring!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 PM

Garage
Can't wait to get myown

Beauty IS in the eyes of the beholder!
Boyohboy - alot of people out there buying FUGLY cars!
The Compass IS a winner!
Can't wait to get myown

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in