Newbie - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Newbie

Went to an estate sale two weeks ago and came home with a 2014 Compass Lattitude. Miles were 4000 and the price was so right I could not pass it up. We live in rural central WI and are 2 miles from a plowed County road. Our driveway is 1000 feet long so the Jeep will come in very handy. Also I have arthritus and getting in and out are PERFECT!

We love it but wished there was less road noise. We have the 18" Firestone tires which are wearing unformly. Any ides here guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 04:28 AM

Welcome to the board buddy, which firestone tire you got? I heard too they are bit noisy on road.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Garage
u probly gpt the stock set most of the None FDII has them with FDII as Wranglers id try rotating the set around and see if that help if there wearing uneven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The firestone tires can be noisey, as others have said try rotating, but it could just be the model of tires. You could look at a set of dedicated winter tires if you have a long driveway and live out in the country if you deal with snow a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Guys, sorry for the delay in getting back, was gone to a funeral for a couple days.

The tires are Firestone Firehawk GTA's. The tread has worn uiformly on all 4 tires so far (4K miles). I ike the looks of them but they sure are nosy. I will rotate them in a coule weeks.

Tyler may have a valid point that the tread is not very aggressive for winter use. We will see how the tread clears as they ass over the snow.

Love the vehicle so far Thaanks guys.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
On a footnote, I have Wranglers on my GMC pickup and I could not believe the way they perform in snow. They are not exactly quiet but they are not as noisy as the Firestones.

I thought maybe the road noise was due to minimal sound deading material used in the wheelwell areas.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just finished 400 miles road trip and have concluded the road noise I complained about earlier was limited to 'Chip and seal' topcoated roads This is a common way to prolong the road surfaces in rural areas. They spray tar on the old blacktop and spread pea gravel on it. When it drys the gravel sticks to and is embeded onto the old tar. Unfortunately we have lots of these where I live.

The tires are OK on expressways etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in