Key Fob - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Key Fob

Hello everyone...........just got my Compass this past weekend! Pretty much like everything about mine. I am having one problem that is driving me nutso! Does anyone know the secret squrril stuff need to turn off the horn whenever you lock the door s using the key fob? The directions in the book don't seem to work........dealship couldn't make it work............I tried, wife tried, even the neighbor tried.........we all feel like dummies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM

my understanding is that if you have the EVIC you can disable it in the settings.. if not you have to rely on the dealer.

Mines not here yet so im not commenting from experiance.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 AM

Good question, I don't know. I haven't found a way to do that on mine (non-EVIC). I find the horn honk annoying, I'd rather just have the lights flash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Straight from the owners manual

1. Press the LOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds.
2. While the LOCK button is pressed (after 4 seconds),
press the PANIC button. Release both buttons.
The “Sound Horn On Lock” and “Flash Lamps With
Lock” feature can be reactivated by repeating this proce
post #5 of 20 Old 05-31-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

:cry: Un fortunately, the directions in the Owners manual don't seem to work. I had at least 6 different people try them without success. I guess I will just have to turn it in for service.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-31-2007, 03:48 PM

Doh i did'nt read hte Original post very well... sorry
post #7 of 20 Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

:lol: No problem.......might call Chrysler tonight if I get a chance........can't believe I have to go through all this for something that should be simple. I'm thinking there's something simple we are all overlooking, either that or there's a mis-print in the book.

I will say that if this is the only problem we have with the vehicle we're doin' OK!
post #8 of 20 Old 06-09-2007, 06:47 AM

So it wasn't just me!!!

Well, I am sorry that others are having this problem, but I am glad that I can, in fact, follow directions. If anyone figures this out, who doesn't have the EVIC, please post the solution. I hate the honk and would love a silent lights blinking signal

Just bought my white Compass Limited on the 4th of May, and, I have to say, I haven't been in love with a car like I am with this one since I bought my Mazda MX6 13 years ago.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Nope.......it sure wasn't just you.........When I find a "Cure" I will definitely post it!

I have a Red Sport 4X2
post #10 of 20 Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

I have the EVIC on mine, and my question has to do with the "Personal Settings" part of the menu. There are times when I scroll through to check tires, mpg etc. and the personal settings option will appear, and there are times when it does not (and yes, I have checked my fuses he-he). That one boggles my mind, and I don't remember reading about it being an optional option in my owner's manual. Anyone else notice this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #11 of 20 Old 06-15-2007, 02:56 AM

For the personal settings to appear, you have to be in the "Park" position.

It is a security measure they took to make sure you keep your eyes on the road, not messing around with the EVIC while you drive

RedVortex
post #12 of 20 Old 06-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks, RedVortex, I guess they really did think of everything. However, my thought is to really make that work, seeing as that is what they had in mind, which I tend to agree is a good idea (not like cell phones are already bad enough), they should have put that button in a more accessible place for use while driving, like next to the ESP button, or something like that. Anyways, appreciate the insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #13 of 20 Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Hello, I've got a solution to your problem. When you don't want the loud honk when using the key fob to lock doors, just push the lock button either on the drivers door or push the knob on the inside of the window and shut the door. Everything else should be locked because it automatically does so when you reach the speed of 20 kms. an hour.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 AM

Re: Key Fob

I just got a Steel Blue 08 and I am having this same problem.

I can turn on and off the flash-lights feature using the key fob but cannot get it to disable the honk on lock.

Did anyone get this resolved, and how?

Thanks in advance.
D
post #15 of 20 Old 04-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeniius
I just got a Steel Blue 08 and I am having this same problem.

I can turn on and off the flash-lights feature using the key fob but cannot get it to disable the honk on lock.

Did anyone get this resolved, and how?

Thanks in advance.
D
I haven't tried it but the manual states...

"To Lock the Doors and Liftgate...
Press and release the LOCK button on the transmitter to
lock all doors. The turn signal lights will flash and the
horn will chip once to acknowledge the lock signal. If
desired, the “Sound Horn On Lock” feature can be
turned on or off. On electronic vehicle information center
(EVIC) equipped vehicles refer to “Personal Settings” in
the “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” section
of this manual. On non EVIC – equipped vehicles
perform the following steps:
1. Press the LOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds.
2. While the LOCK button is pressed (after 4 seconds),
press the PANIC button. Release both buttons.
The “Sound Horn On Lock” and “Flash Lamps With
Lock” feature can be reactivated by repeating this procedure."

Hope this helps.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Indeed, that is what the manual says, which I have tried enough to be considered officially insane. Each time I tell myself "this is going to be it", and well you know the outcome.

Has anyone had this actually work?
post #17 of 20 Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 PM

I've tried it on mine last night and couldn't get it to work. All of the other features work though. (auto locks, getting all of the locks to unlock with one push of the button ect). I do like the horn beeping anyways..lets me know the doors are locked.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 PM

I'm coming off of a Hyundai Elantra, which would flash the lights if you pushed lock once, and squawk if you pushed it twice. I liked this because I rarely needed to use the squawk - the sound of the locks is usually sufficient.

The honk on the Compass is really loud, especially if you're standing near the front end. I actually get embarrassed when I use the key fob. I feel like I am annoying my neighbors.

Thanks for trying it out Howdy.

I'm going to call my sales rep later as I also want to know why the hatch is so hard to close, it doesn't look like it's lining up properly. he'll probably refer me to service.

Anyway...

I hope everyone is enjoying Spring! Woohoo!
post #19 of 20 Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 PM

I went for my first service at the dealer and got them to turn off 'Sound Horn On Lock'. I didn't get to speak to the mechanic but hay, however they did it... no more HOOONK!

Peace
post #20 of 20 Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 AM

hello,

If I don't want the honk when I lock my compass with the key fob,
all I do is press the lock all doors button after I get out and then I close the door. I wouldn't be using the key fob to lock in this case of course. :idea:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in