Thinking about buying a 2011.... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 31 Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying a 2011....

Hi,
My name is Steph, I live in the middle of 22 acres of woods in Southern Ohio. I currently have a 2002 Liberty that I LOVE, but the miles are getting pretty high so its time to think about getting something new and the 2011 Compass looks interesting.

Right now I'm just doing some research to find out if the Compass will get up my driveway in the winter and be fun to drive the rest of the time.

Steph

2002 Patriot Blue Metallic Liberty Limited Stock
254,000 Original Miles, no problems
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM

Hey Steph,

Based on my research over the past two years (I just bought my first Compass today) the Compass line up isn't as rugged as it's other Jeep siblings. Many specs and reviews say the Compass CAN do a limited amount of off-road usage (you being in the country, I'd assume you're doing a little bit of that) but you would want to stay away from doing anything you see in a typical Jeep commercial.

Get up your driveway? I sure hope so, otherwise I'm screwed. I live in Canada and if it can't do that for you, well then I certainly picked the wrong SUV.

Fun to drive? I've been testing driving these things for two years... They're INCREDIBLY fun to drive.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding!
My house is about halfway up a ridge, so it makes for an interesting adventure in the snow I've had a handful of times in the last 5 years that my v6 Liberty has not been able to get up the hill, and my husband's V8 Silverado has had one time where it wouldnt come up. I'm afraid I'm going to buy something that wont come up the hill, and I'm pretty sure a dealer wont let me make a 40 mile round trip test drive, so I definitely appreciate the input!

I LOVE hearing that it's fun to drive! My Liberty is nice, but I wouldn't call it "fun".

Steph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 AM

If your husbands truck can't make it up, you'll want a 4X4 Compass, if you get a compass. If the truck has issues, a 2WD compass won't help much, I don't believe.

But yeah, barring the extreme winter weather, driving these things in the summer is a lot of fun. Again, I've only ever been able to test drive a handful from the dealership and my friend's compass, but I've put enough kilometers on them to know that it's my choice for an SUV at the present time.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Garage
Wouldn't image my Compass (4x4) would go anywhere a Liberty could not.
Better would be something from Land Rover.
They really DO go anywhere.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #6 of 31 Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

I'm not even LOOKING at a 2WD, just the 4X4 versions.

A Land Rover might be nice, but it's not American, and it's sooo far out of my price range The price range being the bigger issue in this case! Otherwise I'd just bite the bullet and order a fully loaded 4X4 Wrangler Unlimited.

Do you think your Compass (4X4 w/ Freedom Drive II) can go anywhere a Liberty 4X4 CAN go? That's sort of what I'm wondering.

Steph

post #7 of 31 Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 AM

Garage
Wrangler

Mmmmm . . . .the Wrangler, topped out. . . .unlimited . . . my choice.
drool, drool.
So far as keeping up with the Liberty.
Me, with my 5-speed, I feel could at least keep up with you, but you have better clearance, and could probable go farther on bad roads.
You are looking at the 2011 - which I have only looked at on www.Jeep.com, but think the Liberty is the better bet, keep running it and save up for he Wrangler.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #8 of 31 Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Hey there Steph and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! I honestly didn't choose the 4x4 Compass because I really didn't need it, have my XJ for that lol, but from what I've read on here and other places, the 4WD Compass is just as capable. I, too, would love a Rubicon Unlimited! Like i2 said, you have better clearance in your Liberty, but I think the 2011 Compass looks awesome, but good luck with your purchase! Be sure to keep us posted and I hope you enjoy the site!

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM

I went to the 2011 Detroit Auto show, sat in the new Compass.
Yes its nice, but no real HUGE upgrade in terms of inside comfort.

If you can look past the new steering wheel and soft-ish touch pannels, then get a 2009 or 2010 for a HELL of a lot cheaper than a new 2011!

Just what I would do....
post #10 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Regarding the differences in the 2010 (or earlier) models and the 2011, isnt the 4x4 in the 2011 supposed to be SIGNIFICANTLY better in the 2011? I thought that was a major change in the 2011. Everything I've read about the earlier models indicates that they dont have true 4x4 abilities??

Steph

post #11 of 31 Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

i too would suggest a 4x4 drive. it is a saviour under such " adventurous circumstances".
post #12 of 31 Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM

I live in Pittsburgh, PA and have a long sloping driveway. If I am not on top of removing the snow, my driveway quickly transforms into a plethora of snow and ice that only a 4x4 can traverse. I just bought a loaded '11 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 with "only" Freedom Drive I. So far, even in AWD mode (hubs not locked in to true 4x4), the Compass can handle the driveway without any problems. It is a great vehicle.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and congrat on your purchase........I like when you say only Freedom Drive..........I say bring it on..............this is NOT an off road vehicule but handles itself pretty good in some heavy stuff.

Glad you found us, tell us more !

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #14 of 31 Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrat on your purchase........
Thank you. You all seem very nice here.
post #15 of 31 Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM

Well it may get up the hill. Maybe its too steep.
You need something with true all wheel drive. Not standard in Jeep. 4x4 is really 2WD (1 front & 1 back wheel). Whether you need lower gears is difficult to say.

You may want to look a Suburu. There are interesting threads on a Jeep site on this point.

From a reliability/durability point. I honestly would have to say NO. Look elseware I am already getting into a lurch even though I still have warranty. Defect are considered normal. Hence they won't address them.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=533903

There is a link for this in post #42 of the thread. But this is a MUST SEE!
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...=533903&page=3

Look at that Youtube video.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #16 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok, how do I find out if my Liberty has true 4x4 or not? It gets up my hill fine, so now I'm curious.... for pete's sake if they're going to advertise something as 4x4 they should make it a darn 4x4

Steph

post #17 of 31 Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM

If and if the Saleman is knowledgable. It would have to have an option (LSD or Equivalent). This is limited Slip Differential. I have Grand Cherokee and they don't have it either. This is typically in the rear axle (give it 2 wheel drive). I one wheel breaks traction on that axle more power is sent to the other wheel that has traction or more (an after market term is LOCKERS).

This gives you a 3 wheel drive vehicle since the front is still open. Power is sent to the wheel slipping, yes the one that slips and never get you going.

Drive into some deep snow where you know you'll not get through in 4wd. Once stuck going forwards spin the wheels a bit and then get out and have a look. You'll see one wheel in the back was spinning and one in the front only. Never all four trying to drive you forward. That's why many AWD's do a better job some transfer more power to there alternate axle wheel and/or other axle. Some as in the video have no rear thrust like the CRV. Ask for documents provide the claims of limited slip or whatever they may call it. GM use to put Posi-trac in their vehicles as an option.

I am sure others will pipe up on this. If getting stuck is keeping you from getting up the hill then. This is crucial. You could bite the bullet and upgrade you Liberties diffs to a better type. Then save your money. I have been stuck trying to pull a small trailer because of this stupid design in a JEEP no less.

On another note if the dealer won't let you take if for a good ride. You might be better servered by renting a prospect vehicle and giving it a good go checking it out.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 02-10-2011 at 09:34 PM.
post #18 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 AM

the 2011 compass come with the freedome 2 offroad pack making it legit trail rated.... watched a thing last night on youtube ...20min vid of ceo/pres of jeep at detroit auto show talkin bout new compass and all the features
post #19 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmers07comp View Post
the 2011 compass come with the freedom 2 offroad pack making it legit trail rated.... watched a thing last night on youtube ...20min vid of ceo/pres of jeep at detroit auto show talkin bout new compass and all the features
And Freedom one is the exact same as Freedom two minus tow hooks, an extra inch of ground clearance, skid plates, and hill descent control.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM

CVT don't coast and have an engaged engine drag. There must be some electric clutch engaging it to the engine. What that hill descent gives is likely little more then putting it 1st position manually. I may try that on a good grade one day.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #21 of 31 Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM

Yes, the FD II's hill descent is actually a different programming in the CVT. It approximates a "4x4 low" when going downhill ... so you don't have to be mashing the brakes going downhill in rough terrain, giving the driver more control in a tight/confined road/trail. Also, from I understand, the programming differences also result in a slight degradation of overall gas mileage compared to FD I.

Also, back to the "limited slip differential" (LSD) discussion ... the purpose of the limited slip is to provide more torque to a non-slipping wheel when slip is detected on a given wheel. This maximizes the available torque to only the wheels with traction (instead of "wasting" engine torque on a slipping wheel). Without limited slip, it just means that both wheels on a given axel will get the same amount of torque regardless of any wheel slippage. When a 4x4 Compass is locked into 4x4 mode, all four wheels are getting torque. I am not completely sure that the front/back divide is a 50/50 split, but I believe it is. If not, it may be a 40/60 or 30/70 split ... but (1) all four wheels are definitely getting torque, and (2) each wheel on a given axel are getting the same amount of torque.

To have a system that only drives one back wheel and one front wheel may sound simple or like some some cost-cutting move by Jeep, but -- in reality -- it would actually be very complex and expensive. Further, it would be a performance nightmare, to boot. It is possible to have such a configuration, but you would only see it on very sophisticated (aka, expensive) LSD-equipped 4x4 vehicles. But for us ... you can think the Compass' more modest 4x4 system as more "old school" with all four wheel wheels getting torque regardless of slip.

The Jeep Compass is a very capable 4x4 that likely can handle any on-road or light off-road 4x4 task. Its biggest limitations that preclude it from heavy offroading is its low road height and all-season tires. The 4x4 Compass is a VERY capable vehicle in my book.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Well I just spent over an hour reading searches on CVT shudder and vibrations and wow Audi, Honda, Patriots all come up as well that have used the CVT transmission.

Turns out the CVT is a bit of a nightmare for JATCO and the electro magnetic clutch failing is responsible for a lot of the problems which they use to couple the engine to the transmission. Chrysler will not replace the affected transmission unless it appears to be totally slipping and or broken.

I have grave reservations that this Jeep is lucky to survive it warranty without major issues. We already know the the suspension is poorly engineered with tie rod and struts failing amongst other items and the TSB out on the front struts applied only if it fails under warranty. So if you're lucky to no have it replaced during you'll be ticked that they new the design was defective but you will now have to pay for the front struts yourself. Does that give you a warm comfortable feeling? Joy at having a bill to pay after your warranty is up. If you have or can get the lifetime powertrain warranty you should be ok with it on the engine and CVT covered. But without the CVT will go and sooner than later.

So this capable Compass is very limited in viable life.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #23 of 31 Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
... I just spent over an hour reading searches on CVT shudder and vibrations and wow ... Audi, Honda, Patriots all come up as well that have used the CVT transmission.
The Nissan Rogue has a CVT, as well. The advantage of a well-mapped CVT is that it simulates, essentially, a normal muti-geared transmission that is always in the proper gear (no "hunting" or clunky downshifts). This is especially nice in smaller engines that do not have a huge V-8 torque curve.

Quote:
We already know the the suspension is poorly engineered with tie rod and struts failing amongst other items
To me "poorly engineered" is a little heavy handed as the major re-do for 2011 included a major upgrading of many suspension components, including the ones you mentioned. So, yes, those with 2011 models will likely not be seeing the problems you call out here. And those with pre-2011 may not be so lucky.

Quote:
So this capable Compass is very limited in viable life.
In my humble opinion, I do not at all agree with you ... as (and don't take this in a bad way) you are basing your opinion on random cherry-picked facts and forum chatter. But that is okay, you are entitled ...
post #24 of 31 Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Yes those of us without a 2011 are having considerable difficultly getting resolutions to problem just out of warranty and some major issue such as the CVT within warranty. This again after 3 years of production of a similar design (2007-2009 & posible 2010).
Will the 2011 fair better? Time will tell if they got it right or not.

However, I am shuddering myself at the though of putting out thousands of dollars to fix problems Chrysler is quite simply ignoring and not addressing quite a few known problems. CVT problems are being one that the dealer are not to touch without their go ahead. That my read from 3 dealers and over 7 visits on this issue and having spoken to customer relations.

Yeah that my opinion and other ought to be aware of where they stand and not be too comfortable with their warranty security blanket. I appears not to be worth much here. This was suppose to be my retirement vehicle in the near future but as more miles go on it looks more unlikely even if I don't get rid of it I suspect it will become a money pit in repairs. Either way a no win situation without Chrysler's backing.
I look for Dependability, Reliability and Quality in a vehicle. Not seeing it here! The internet chatter you mention is more than chatter and not to be ignored especially that I have first hand experience. I made light of the high repair frequency I saw before I bought and seeing posts on this forum since then firms up that as a reality that should not have been ignored.

So 01GT, what are you driving (no details in your signature) and what make you confident in it?

The Jeep Compass is going to be one of the top 10 vehicles garage really like. $$$ signs will ring up when they see one coming to the shop.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #25 of 31 Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
The "internet chatter" you mention is more than chatter and not to be ignored especially that I have first-hand experience. I made light of the high repair frequency I saw before I bought and seeing posts on this forum since then firms up that as a reality that should not have been ignored.
Agreed that first-hand experience is far more compelling than "forum chatter". I believe you earlier posted some limited-slip info that was in error (e.g., that the Compass 4x4 only drives one rear and one front wheel, etc.) that ... to me ... seemed to be based only on what you read in another forum. IMO, the problem with such second-hand observations is that they end up being based on predominantly negative reviews (i.e., people in general are always more apt to write a review when they are pissed off than when they are satisfied). If you have some real first-hand negative experience, we'd all like to hear about it. I think that the portion from your posts that was your experience was being blurred with what seemed to be "read elsewhere" (again, the limited-slip discussion being an example). Please take this with the kind spirit that I intend it ...

Quote:
So 01GT, what are you driving (no details in your signature) and what make you confident in it?
I do have a 2011 Limited 4x4. My purchase decision was based on the 2011 upgrades, the robustness of the Jeep 4x4 system compared to numerous other AWD variants in the competition, and the firm blessing by a close-friend and professional mechanic that liked it because ... per his opinion ... they are well built, and when they do need repair, the parts are generally cheaper due to all the "platform sharing" and are easy to work on.
post #26 of 31 Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GT Eibach View Post
Agreed that first-hand experience is far more compelling than "forum chatter". I believe you earlier posted some limited-slip info that was in error (e.g., that the Compass 4x4 only drives one rear and one front wheel, etc.) that ... to me ... seemed to be based only on what you read in another forum. IMO, the problem with such second-hand observations is that they end up being based on predominantly negative reviews (i.e., people in general are always more apt to write a review when they are pissed off than when they are satisfied). If you have some real first-hand negative experience, we'd all like to hear about it. I think that the portion from your posts that was your experience was being blurred with what seemed to be "read elsewhere" (again, the limited-slip discussion being an example). Please take this with the kind spirit that I intend it ...
As for the 2WD that was as I recall pointed to a lady who currently has a Liberty and looking for something to climb a steep driveway or such. It like my Grand Cherokee are 2WD as mention with LSD not standard in Jeeps.

As for the Compas 4x4. I am not sure what it does at the front or rear to gain traction. I have not has a slipping issue with the wheels the few times I've crawled through deep snow with my Nokian tires.

As for issues, yeah I have a big problem with the CVT and cannot get more than an acknowledgment that its there after 3 dealers and 7 visit's or more. But they're told by Chrysler that its normal to get the shudder/vibration I get coming to a stop. I know it will fail and the only question is in or out of warranty and leave me stranded wherever it is. An electro-mechanical clutch is built into these and for whatever engineering reason is the likely component of the vibrations. Yes I am not happy, why should I accept drying around in a new vehicle with clear problems everyone in the vehicle can feel is not right and most ask. Whats that vibration? My old GC is much better that this. Warranty means nothing when they start telling dealer to say its normal and do nothing to remedie it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #27 of 31 Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
... I have a big problem with the CVT and cannot get more than an acknowledgment that its there after 3 dealers and 7 visits or more. But they're told by Chrysler that its normal to get the shudder/vibration I get coming to a stop.
What is the problem you are having with the CVT? Were you ever able to take it in to the dealer while it was vibrating (so that they could clearly see the problem)? Have you done real off-roading with it?
post #28 of 31 Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM

No point in reinventing the wheel here is the post on it: http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...3129#post13129

No off roading, not that it should make any difference anyway. It not right and I have warranty and they need to rectify it. They won't and I have to live with it so that equates to you having a vehicle vibrating and shaking for what reason. Then Chrysler steps up and say, we hear a lot of them are doing that. It normal continue as it is. But asks you. Can you drive it? You yes and thats it and if you have further problems see your dealer.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #29 of 31 Old 02-27-2011, 03:47 AM

< owner of a 99 GC limited Quadratrac II 4.7 with 190,000 miles (305,000km) The motor burns a quart or so every 1,000 miles (1,600km) and its seen two rears. I tow with it and for the most part do highway driving of around 80 mph 128kph. I can no longer stand the fuel consumption so am looking for a replacement.

I just drove a 2011 compass and a 07 compass and was about to pull the trigger on the 11 when i thought it was best to do some research on it.
After reading this thread and a few others I now am seriously reconsidering this platform all together.

I have a few questions for you guys, as far as the 11 goes;

What is the real towing capacity? The website says 3500, 2000, and 1500 all in one breath.

As far as the 07 goes whats the towing cap on it?

What about the Brake locking diff. What years and trim levels had this included?

Thanks for all your time!

-Dave

PS

Would you use your compass on sand such as found on the beach. I am referring to the soft stuff we get in N.J. that you can get stuck in easily.
My limited has never been "stuck" in this sand its taken me a bit to gain forward movement but have never been pulled out by another truck I would like to continue this good luck with my next purchase.
post #30 of 31 Old 02-27-2011, 11:40 AM

This is not what you're going to want. The towing is not much more than 1500lbs at best and thats pushing it. There is not CVT fluid cooler although one is mentioned its not clear enough but it is an Engine Oil cooler. At those speeds your gas millage will be very poor. I get 29-30mpg CND at 120km/h(~70mph).

there are many engineering weaknesses and you won't get sympathy from Jeep. The dealers won't repair unless head office gives them the go ahead. If it moves they won't touch it and say its normal. Tie rods & ball joints are very early failure items 35-45,000km still according to a mechanic I asked about mine.

My recommendation is look elseware and not a CVT if you're towing long runs. They have a totally integrated power module (TPIM) which replaces the relay/fuse cluster most vehicles use and is controlled by the PCM. They're very expensive and I have gone through 2 of them under warranty. One of the new ones was defective (go figure new and faulty). This truly will be a Fix and Repair Daily Ride. Seriously!!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 02-27-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in